Sunday, February 19, 2012

Pride


Today's sermon and discussion time touched on the subject of pride. Specifically, how we can think we're better than others because of what we do compared to what they do. This applies to modesty so well! I mean, girls, isn't it hard to not go around flouting our high neck and long hemlines and saying to ourselves, "Well, I'm glad I'm not showing that much skin!" We have to remember that without the grace of God, we would be dressing the same way or worse. We can be the tidiest, most modest, "goodest" girl out there and still have pride show through our layers and layers of clothes. God's grace is abundant, and we so do not deserve it, so let's not act like we do.

 This is what I wore to church this morning:
Floral pearl snap shirt: Walmart
Brown sweater: Handmedown
Skirt: Made by me (seen here, and the shirt is the same, too)
Boots: Shoe Carnival
Headcovering: Fabric belt from a pair of pants
Earrings: Droplette
Pearl necklace: Gift from great grandmother

 What makes this outfit work? Well, it was cold out today, but I didn't want to have to wear a jacket. So, I layered a sweater over a button-up. The under-layer poking out gives it a scholarly look that is usually considered classy. The rolled-up cuffs keep the double sleeves from looking frumpy, while the length of the skirt gives me a taller appearance... especially with the 3" heeled boots that you can't see. ;)

 

"A man's pride shall bring him low: but honor shall uphold the humble in spirit." ~ Proverbs 29:23



10 comments :

  1. Pride is such an easy pit to fall into, and I know I do it so often! I have thought to myself things like, Well, I'm glad I'M not wearing that short a skirt! Its good to have this reminder. While its good to set an example by dressing modestly, it is not good to get a swelled head about it.

    Thank you for the reminder!
    And I love your outfit by the way!

    ~Vicki
    deckedoutinruffles.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the unique way you layered the shirts! I think I have been guilty of pride in that form in the past. God has recently revealed that to me and I am really watching myself on that.
    Love, Katie

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can certainly relate to the "modest pride" issue! God has acutually used my blog to kick the "modest pride" thing! I realized after being on the receiving end of someone looking down on how you dress, it's not the best way to approach modesty! In fact, that's what gives it a bad name! I've since realized modesty isn't a bunch of rules and guidelines, but a leading by the Holy Spirit. Humans views are flawed, God's aren't! : )
    Natasha
    A Modest Fashion Blog:
    www.natashaatkerson.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know just what you mean! I feel very self-rightous sometimes, but God always know what to do to instantly humble me!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the shirt-sweater combo :)super cute as always! Pride in modesty is SO tempting especially when you have great godly girls who are dressing a lot less modestly then you. thanks for the great reminder!

    xoxo,
    Madeline
    www.FlameintheDarkness.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello,

    Just found your blog a few days ago. This is such a cute outfit! I really love the modest but cute/stylish clothing you have here. I've seen your sewing blog too and that's awesome.

    Regards

    ReplyDelete
  7. great outfit. I love your personal style. Please post how to make your skirt i love it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. How is it modest to post a lot of pictures of yourself? That's something I have never understood with the modesty fashion blogs.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You must be very good at giving yourself a tall appearance, because I assumed you were tall for quite a long time! ;) And I admire that skirt; I love the beautiful detail of the reverse-applique leaves.
    <><

    ReplyDelete

Fresh Modesty is fashion blog which encourages girls to "Dress outside your box, but inside His Book!" I allow anonymous comments so those without accounts can comment, but I would really appreciate it if you would identify yourself by some form of a name. :) Thank you for taking the time to comment!