Thursday, March 15, 2012

Awkward Solo Grocery Shopping

Just a quick 4 hour trip to the store yesterday! :P I went to Aldi and literally mounded cart with cauliflower, squash, onions, and peas. My family's on a new diet, the GAPS diet, (for the gut part of the diet, not the physiology, although I'm sure we could use some healing in that area too. ;))and we're loving our cauliflower. One of this week's awkwards came from my trip:
Awkward:
  • *lady stares at my cart* "That's a lot of cauliflower! What are you buying it for, a restaurant??" Me: "No, this is just for my family!"
    Another lady: "You must love them a lot!"
    *Me thinking*: "Yeah, I love them so much I'm buying them 24 heads of cauliflower?"
  • Walking out of a friend's house to find your steering wheel, brake pedal, and seat belt wrapped in plastic wrap. I may have deserved it. :P
  •  Standing around with your mug of squash soup while everyone else drinks coffee. No coffee on this diet. :-/
  • Parking a passenger van at a crowded gas station. 'nuff said.

 Awesome:
  •  Feeling better! Although I'm just kind of along for the ride with other family members on this diet, I definitely have increased energy and, thanks to learning not to eat every little thing that crosses my path, I have greater self management in other areas of my life. Always a good thing. :D
  •  Clearance racks! I got a couple tanks and a new shirt yesterday that I can't wait to show y'all.
  • The skirt I wore to shop. The pockets are big enough to conceal a debit card and receipts, car keys, and cell phone, so I didn't have to carry and look after a purse. :) And, yes, folks! {This is a big "announcement"} I'm working on an eBook to show how to make this skirt and about 7 others! Release date is unknown- hopefully by the summer. :)
This is the outfit I wore. Like I said, the skirt was awesome, the shirt fuss-free, and it was cool enough for the hot and rainy 45 minute drive.
Shirt: Thrift store, altered by taking in the flouffy sides a bit- believe it or not, it was a lot pouffier!
Skirt: Made by me
Flip flops: Old Navy
Earrings: Walmart

Ever have your favorite flip flops break? I've accidentally pulled the little thong thingy through the flip flop sooo many times and once it's loose, it comes loose super easy since the foam is torn and it makes it hard to walk. So, I solved that problem with a paperclip yesterday! It worked like a charm and they're as good as new. :)



Has anyone else done the GAPS diet? Ever get weird looks shopping for your big family?


26 comments :

  1. loooooove the shirt! great flip flop idea, the next time mine break I'm definitely going to have to try that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Olivia!

    My family would like to do the GAPS diet but have not yet. I really need to! I am sure I would feel so much better! A friend of mine is doing it and you can see her blog here-http://becomingafairlady.blogspot.com/

    I love your outfit as well and I am sure it can be discouraging when people think you are weird when doing gaps. But coodles to you for doing so that you can live a long healthy life!

    In Christ,
    Rebecca

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cute outfit, Olivia! I have never done the GAPS diet, but we have some friends who have/are doing it. :) We have a pretty big family too, and frequently get odd looks while shopping. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I absolutely LOVE that blouse! Definitely one of the best shades of mustard I've ever seen!

    I have not done the GAPS diet, though I have done juice cleansing, and I'm gluten free due to allergies. I'm glad to hear it's working out for you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the shirt! Can't wait for your ebook to come out! I am dying to see your new clothes! Clearance racks rock!!! Nope, never tried the GAPS diet.
    Love, Katie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your blouse! :) Very pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes I've heard of GAPS but never done it. And YES weird looks shopping for a big family! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have heard of the GAPS diet, but we haven't tried it. Our dr prescribed eating for our blood types yesterday, so hopefully that will help!

    ReplyDelete
  9. No, I've never tried the GAPS diet. I don't believe in "diets" though. I believe in lifestyles. What does that mean?! Well in short, if you want to lose weight/feel better, it's best to change your diet permentantly, instead of eating/starving yourself for a couple weeks. Eventually your body adapts and no longer changes because it says "oh! We're doing this diet again?! Okay! Starvation mode!" Although it does sound like a good idea to do a detox every now and then. Have you ever heard of the HCG diet? It's really dangerous, you take growth hormones from a cow to keep you from getting hungry, and only eat 500 calories a day for however long it takes to lose weight! Yikes! Not a good idea! Since Nov. I've been doing a TON of research on food and exercise, so I could go on forever lecturing about bad diets! LOL!
    I LOVE your shirt, yellow is on your color chart! :)
    Any idea how much you'll be charging for the ebook? I'd really like to buy it when it comes out!
    Natasha
    A Modest Fashion Blog:
    www.natashaatkerson.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Natasha, I completely agree about diets! This GAPS diet is just a way of saying that our family's lifestyle is to only eat certain foods that don't trigger my family's extensive list of allergic-to foods. The purpose is to heal our bodies to be able handle the foods we're allergic to again. So, we'll be on this for years. And we're certainly not starving ourselves! I've actually gained weight. :P I understand about having a passion for it! My mom is a health nut and has been in-depth studying these things for about 10 years. :D
      Color chart?
      I think the eBook will be like $12-15. :)

      Delete
    2. so great to hear you say that don't like fads diets eaither. But if someone wants to lose weight the mayo clinic diet is more like a healthy eating plan and has some great ideas.

      Delete
  10. I haven't heard of the GAPS diet, though it may be something for me to look into. And I do love cauliflower, haha! The only diet I've ever been on was a dairy-free diet my mom decided we should try a couple years ago. We both did a bunch of research, and actually, it went really well. I almost wish we had stayed on it, as I felt so much healthier!

    I love your shirt! The top is so pretty!

    ~Vicki
    deckedoutinruffles.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love your outfit! I have a really hard time trying to find and put together really cute clothes. Do you have any tips???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I can't really sum up my tips in a comment! That's why I blog- maybe you'll pick some tips up. :)

      Delete
    2. Thanks!! I love your blog!

      Delete
    3. great blog please show some more hair style ideas

      Delete
  12. Thanks sooo much for the paperclip idea! It's just getting to flip-flop weather, so I'll have to keep it in mind. :)

    Blessings,
    Emily.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Loved the shopping story. =) I am the second oldest in a family of 13 kids. So, yes, I do get a lot of weird looks while shopping as well. Especially when I take 4 or 5 or 6 little brothers along. =)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ohh! I'm excited about your idea's to make an E-book for that skirt!! I suppose I'm not the only blog reader who fell in love with it! ;D Hehe! Lovely ensemble all together! :)

    In Christ,
    ~Rachel~

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love the top! :) There are so many cute yellow things! Sadly, I don't look good in yellow. :(

    ~Johanna

    ReplyDelete
  16. This post makes me squeal, since I'm all about mustard right now! Your top is gorgeous. I'd love to know how you take in the sides of a too floofy shirt.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I've never done the GAPS diet personally, but my mom went on a diet to get rid of her candida, which is similar. I have a feeling that I think the GAPS diet would really benefit me but I don't think I've got the guts (pun not intended) to try it. I probably should for the assistance in self control!

    ReplyDelete
  18. For what its worth, you can also use a plastic bread tab to fix flip flops.

    ReplyDelete
  19. My family is on the GAPS diet and am liking the results!

    ReplyDelete
  20. My brother who is autistic and all of our 5 little ones as well as myself are all on Gaps now for about 8 years for my autistic brother and a few for me with way to much cheating, I am a coffee addict:(

    ReplyDelete

Fresh Modesty is fashion blog which encourages girls to "Dress outside your box, but inside His Book!" I allow anonymous comments so those without accounts can comment, but I would really appreciate it if you would identify yourself by some form of a name. :) Thank you for taking the time to comment!