Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Kews and Ehs #1: Taylor Swift, Walmart, and Chickens.

Ohhh myyy, girls! On the survey, y'all gave me over a hundred questions to answer! I do believe that is waaaay too many for just one post, especially since some answers will be lengthy! So, I will try to make this a weekly column for a little while until I get through all your questions! I hope to have this Q and A post on either Monday or Tuesday of each week, so be watching for it! :) These will just be answered in the order I received them, so sorry they'll be so random!

Without further ado, let's get started!
  • Who is your style icon?
Personally, I have never put much stock or thought into taking cues from celebrities, vintage stars, or designers. So, I really don't have any "icons" that I look up to. I do, however, glean many ideas from Taylor Swift and her style. Why? She has such an eclectic mix of style personalities that I love seeing how she pulls off each look with grace and ease. She's got a girl-next-door-high-class-school-girl-vintage-timeless-spunky-clean-fairly-modest style that I just adore.
Also, although she's 9 inches taller than me, people have said I look like her and I take that as a huge compliment. It's thanks to her I got the courage to wear the hippie headband style. :)







  • What are your favorite beauty brands?
By beauty, I  assume you mean make up and skin care, right? Well, I honestly just shop Walmart's cheapest make up, and change mascara brands every time simply because I like trying new things. For coverup, I love Maybelline Super Stay. When I wear foundation, it's just L'oreal's Bare Minerals. I don't use anything for my skin anymore, since I've trained myself to not touch my face, wash my hands frequently, and quickly dry out with hot water oncoming pimples. My favorite scent right now is "Black Amethyst" body lotion from Bath and Body Works. I've tried their fragrance sprays and have found the smell doesn't last long, but the thicker lotion smells awesome for days. I'm too cheap to invest in expesive perfumes and beauty products- we shouldn't need that stuff anyway, right? God's given us everything we need. :) I do have an appreciation for the good stuff, though. :D If anyone has any mascara brand suggestions, I'm all ears!
  • Where do you find inspiration for your sewing projects?
Newspaper clothing ads- I look at what styles are "in" (although you'll notice I don't actually follow many of them) for my age bracket and then brainstorm on how to make them modest. Pinterest, of course, is another inspiration source as well as just friends' clothing that I love and think of ways to change up and make it my own. :)
  • How old are you? How many siblings do you have, what are their ages, and where are you in the lineup?
I am the oldest of 6 siblings. I'm 19, my sister Emma is 15 going on 16, my sister Willa is 13, my first brother is 6, my littlest sister is 4, and the sweet family baby boy is 2 and growing too fast. :)


  • What is your favorite thing about living on a farm?
Wow, such a hard question! I think I love the space the best. I love being able to just bolt out the door and run half a mile and never leave our property. (granted, it's in a circle. :P)
  • What kind of animals do you have?
Our family has a dog, cat, 12 some odd layer chickens, and 2 beef cows. In a few months we'll have 70 or so broiler chickens, too.
  • What is one (or several) of your favorite pasttimes?
Pinteresting. :D And sewing, obviously. I also love dabbling in Photoshop, Lightroom, Illustrator, and Premier, so if I have time (usually when I'm sick. :P) I love to create things on the computer. I also do a *lot* of online communication with friends, so that's usually what I do if I have to "pass the time" :D
  • What is one chore that you really don't like to do? ;)
Haha! There are very few things I don't enjoy... In fact, I think I love all my chores! Well, not love, but I don't mind doing them, usually. :) When I used to have to clean the bathtub, I hated it. But I don't have that chore anymore, thankfully. :)


Well, that's all for this week, folks!  Those of you who asked these questions, I hope I answered them sufficiently!


9 comments :

  1. This was fun! Looking forward to all of your answers.

    Wow, you DO look like Taylor Swift!
    Genevieve

    ReplyDelete
  2. I use Maybelline great lash mascara from Walmart or Target. I mainly buy that kind because its cheap-ish (I think around $4), they have it in waterproof and there seems to be coupons available for this kind alot so I can get a good deal on it :) One thing my sisters and I have recently *discovered*, is that they sell eyelash combs (also at Walmart for like $2) that are helpful for separating clumped eyelashes and getting them more natural looking...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your answers Olivia! And come to think of it, you do look a little like Taylor Swift? But I think I like your style better (it's usually more modest). :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That was awesome getting to know you better!! Hey, I'm the eldest of 7!!
    I'm nearly 18
    You know, I look a fair bit like Taylor Swift too, although I have more freckles on my nose, and yes, I'm MUCH shorter ( I'm barely 5 ft!!)!! - I like her style most the time, too.
    Haha! I study newspaper ads too, to discover what the 'fashion is' and love trying out different ways to make clothes more modest. I also like 'modernizing?' old clothes that might be 'out of date' and op (thrift stores in the US?)shop clothes too - heaps of fun!!
    As for mascara.. I use 'Cover Girl' which is fairly cheap and I find it is pretty natural looking... the key to mascara is: don't over use it!!
    I might look out for those 'eyelash comb' that julia Mar was talking about, to assist with my make-up job looking more natural!
    Really enjoyed this post, looking forward to next weeks'
    Love Emily Grace

    ReplyDelete
  5. That was AWESOME! :) I loved your answers. I shop mostly at thriftstores and I love Taylor Swifts style too. It's quite girly and pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  6. taylor swift has a great style and for a celebrity pretty modest. I love your idea of faashion and modest you should start a magazine!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kate Middleton makes a great fashion statement alway pretty and femine. And most of the time modest. She such a pricess.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Smashbox mascara is the best I've ever used,! idk where to get it tho...

    ReplyDelete

Fresh Modesty is fashion blog which encourages girls to "Dress outside your box, but inside His Book!" I allow anonymous comments so those without accounts can comment, but I would really appreciate it if you would identify yourself by some form of a name. :) Thank you for taking the time to comment!