Saturday, March 24, 2012

Modest March Fashion Week| Day 6




Today was quite a day! I woke up this morning with the notion that we needed to go to Nashville to run some errands, so that's what we did after cooking all our food for the day and dressing all the kids and borrowing a trailer and loading a lawn mower. :D One of those errands was going to the mall, though. I've told myself I'm on a spending freeze, so Forever21 was pure torture for me.  I did manage to come out of Sears with three $3 hats. Thankfully my mom's agreed to cover those, so I haven't broken my freeze. ;)

Anyway, this is what I ended up wearing as we rushed out the door...
This is probably the least flattering picture of me on this blog. :P Oh well, I think y'all get the point: Long skirt to cover up the fact I was wearing old flip flops, with pockets so I don't need a purse, simple, cute button up, summery necklace, braid in my ponytail. :)



This evening we were privileged to attend the semi-formal 13th birthday party/ceremony of a dear friend. It was fun to have an excuse to dress up on a Friday night! This is what I wore:

Unfortunately it was dark by the time we got home, so these pictures are terrible.

Dress: Target 
Tank: Penny's
Shoes: Payless
Jewelry: Walmart






I love this dress! I was so excited to find it at Target a few years ago for only $20. The ties are supposed to be tied in the front, but that's super unflattering on  me (um, no, I'm not what my sister calls, "maternid" ;)) so I just tie them in the back! I chose to wear a fun-colored tank with the black dress since it was a semi-formal event and all black looked too somber. I also chose my beloved orange kitty heels- I bought them several years ago and my entire family thought I was insane. They're neon orange, but I loooove them and seize every opportunity to wear them. :)
I dressed up my ponytail with a very small braid across the top of my head. I also wrapped the elastic in hair so it wasn't showing. :)

I reluctantly followed the rule of "threes" when it comes to jewelry pieces... I was given advice years ago to never wear more than three "areas" of jewelry at a time. Ring, necklace, earrings, but no bracelets or anklets. Necklace, earrings, and anklet, but no bracelet. You get the picture. So, tonight I did anklet, bracelets, and simple earrings. I had my ring on for a little while, but realized it really did start to  make me look gaudy, so I ditched the ring. :D When I wear a hat or headcovering, I count that as a sort of jewelry piece and try to only have two other areas of adornment. Same with a belt. Just keeps me from over-accessorizing and looking slightly too dressed. :)

Do you have a similar "rule" when it comes to accessorizing?

Pin It


30 comments :

  1. I generally try not to have more jewellery on than my purity ring and a necklace, perhaps a watch sometimes, and a bracelet every now and then.

    ReplyDelete
  2. In all honesty, I had never thought about having accessorie parameters, but I hardly ever wear more that a necklace. :) I really like your three pieces rule though. I also wanted to say that I love, sorry really like your dress. It is really cute, modest, and still flattering. I couldn't belive that you found it at Target.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love both outfits! Love the shirt in the first outfit! I remember when you bought that dress! That was a fun trip! We should do that again next time you are up here! I would love to see a close up of the necklace! Love your hair! Maybe I will try that when I go to school today.
    Love, Katie

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is fantastic, since over-accessorizing bugs me to no end! ;) I'm pretty sure I commented in your survey with a similar complaint. hehe I haven't seen a case of over-accessorizing on your blog, with is REAAALLLY nice and keeps me coming back. I really love your outfits and have been inspired by them. :)

    Anyway...I generally wear very little jewelry. Always earrings, since I've had my ears pierced from babyhood. On dressier occasions I'll add a necklace--sometimes, maybe a bracelet or two. If not I'll settle for earrings, and/or my Claddagh ring.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have heard of that accessorizing rule too. But I don't really have to worry about that much! I only have two necklaces and one only goes with like 2 shirts. The other goes with pretty much everything and I wear it all the time! I have one ring and I usually wear it to dance, bowling, school and to church once in a while! I rarely wear bracelets or anklets! I wear earrings pretty much all the time because I just got my ears pierced last year and I was told not to sleep without earrings for like a year because you will have a hard time getting them back in in the morning and it will hurt! I even sleep and shower with them in! It's almost been a year so I won't have to do that soon. When I wear a belt it doesn't show!
    Love,
    Katie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love both outfits! your dress is beautiful!!!

    ♥Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hmm..no...can't think of any rules off the top of my head, though I try to never over-accesorize :O
    Your "three" rule is interesting, I'll have to try it out!
    Cute outfit (both)!
    I'm the same way, I'll buy things my mom says "uh..it's interesting..". I LIKE your shoes! :) I'm sort of quirky, so I'll wear some stuff people consider odd, such as an orange pair of shoes! *GRIN* Oh well, we're totally misunderstood, rigt?! LOL! (joking)
    Natasha
    A Modest Fashion Blog:
    www.natashaatkerson.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Could you post some more pictures of this dress another time? I couldn't tell you had a tank underneath in these pictures but the dress is so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I try to count my make-up if i'm wearing eye shadow and shoes if they make a statement. I love the dress and tj-max is a great place to find trendy and modest clothing. I'm so inspired by your blog i've been sewing a lot more. You have such great ideas. Thanks for sharing your passion for modesty its so hard to be modest all the time and not think about what the world would say.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That such a great idea about the shoes specially when they are colorful. I think you should always have one item that really stands out like shoes,jewery,makeup ect.

      Delete
  10. I love the shirt did you make it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, I got it at Kohl's several years ago. :)

      Delete
    2. Do you make shirts i would love to see them if you did. Also what about tunics?

      Delete
  11. This is adorable! I have that button-up, and I see you don't iron the little ruffles open just like I don't. ;) Too time consuming and it still looks cute. The dress is gorgeous!
    ~Amanda

    ReplyDelete
  12. I hardly ever wear jewelry, but that rule is a great one to remember for when I do. Your skirt is my favorite!

    ReplyDelete
  13. That is a great rule to remember! Your dress is so cute! love it!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love both outfits! I LOVE the orange sandals. Several years ago I almost got the exact same ones in lime green at payless, but ended up deciding they didn't match a single thing in my wardrobe. I have always wished I would have gotten them anyway!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love both outfits! They're soo cute! I love the outfits you post!

    I never wear jewelry except for an ankle bracelet that's premenatlly tied on my left ankle unless I cut it off.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. do you have a blog? if so please share the link!

      Delete
  16. JMJ
    I constantly wear my Claddagh ring and earings but not much else on a regular basis.
    Definately a good rule.
    Pax Christi,
    Rose

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Olivia,

    Check out http://www.eshakti.com it's a company that offers beautiful clothing that is fully customizable for your body shape, and what's so good about? The customization is free!

    You will love it I'm sure (unless you already know about it)...?
    I'm so sad I can't get anything, because they don't ship international orders :-(

    I love your outfits, you really know how to put things together! :-)

    Anne-Marie

    ReplyDelete
  18. hi i am joylynn (joy) im so glad you guy have it so you don't have to have an acount to post or my mom wouldn't let me do it! i like the newest outfit. casual yet semi-fancy. by the way does anybody know the place and name of the girl modleing {Grocery Shopping... For Fun?}. thanks! i've got to go eat!

    ReplyDelete
  19. hi joy here. do they allow anybody do an outfit or not?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This event is over, but there are a lot of fashion events to get involved in! You kinda need a blog, though. :)

      Delete
    2. thanks. ill see if my mom will let me set up a blog. if she does i will post the address! see ya!

      Delete
  20. but i meant overall. like on fresh-modesty all together

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You don't need a blog if you would just like to submit an outfit for Friends of Fresh Modesty which posts every Friday: http://freshmodesty.blogspot.com/2012/07/friends-of-fresh-modesty-you.html :)

      Delete

Fresh Modesty is fashion blog which encourages girls to "Dress outside your box, but inside His Book!" I allow anonymous comments so those without accounts can comment, but I would really appreciate it if you would identify yourself by some form of a name. :) Thank you for taking the time to comment!