Thursday, April 12, 2012

It's Chilly Again

...so I pulled my favorite striped sweater down from the top shelf to wear today.

 Pair it with the uber-popular linen skirt from Old Navy and you have a super simple outfit for daily life. :)

 It's Thursday! Awkward and Awesome time!
Awkward:
  • Taking your 5 year old sister with you to the bank and the ladies thinking she's yours. Do I look that old?
  • A guy telling you that if he were a girl, he'd paint his toenails green.
  • Cookbooks from the 80's that your mom buys at the library booksale. Boy Scouts and an amish hippie grandmother in the same picture with a guy in a chef coat? nooo thanks. It left many of us speechless.
  • Eating an avocado out of the skin with a fork while weaving through a parking lot, driving a huge white van.
  • Your sister wanting to get a baby chick out of the huge box they're in, so she climbs in the box and lays down trying to reach it. I closed the lid and locked her in for being so... gross?
  • Costco's membership policies. We had to pay extra for me to be able to shop there instead of my parents.  The food's going to the same house...?
  • Not having a working blender. Makes smoothie-making increasingly difficult. My sister had to literally catch the food processor in the air before it unplugged itself when going crazy trying to crush frozen fruit. :P
 Awesome: 
  • An old mattress out in the yard for the kids to play on. I may have flipped a time or twelve myself. Also awesome for stargazing.
  • Sunshine and fresh cut grass, even if the mower is broken and you have to use a tractor. 
  • A new blender! We got a BlendTech. It has an awkward counter on the front that says how many times you've used it. I believe it is at 55. We've had it a week. :P
  • Kicking a cold after 1.5 days of feeling ill. 
  • Community life. Seeing neighbors and church family more than once a week- often times more than once a day. Good reason to keep your hair brushed. ;)
  • My dad. He keeps us laughing all the time! Oh the puns. *slaps head*
  • The washing machine. Me and my fingernails are very thankful we don't have to use a washboard. :)
Shirt: Forever21
Skirt: Thrift store
Flip Flops: Target
Earrings: Thrift store
Hair: Iiiiiii have a video for you! Just a quick we'll-pretend-its-on-purpose-out-of-focus video of how I french braid my hair. :) I deleted the audio because my siblings were yelling. You're welcome.


What's been awkward or awesome about your week?

Pin It


22 comments :

  1. You make french braiding look easy! I'll have to try it. I love those "uber-popular" linen skirts from Old Navy, I have 2 of them and wear them all the time :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok... I just gotta say that you can do a french braid about 10 times faster than I could ever do it! :D It takes me forever to get it right and then I turn around and it's all lop-sided... ha ha! I LOVE your blog and your passion for being pure and staying modest! Keep it up!

    Matthew 10:27
    ~Jenn

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cute! Thanks for the video! Going to have to try that! Dance again after a break for holy week was awesome!
    Love, Katie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh wow...can french braiding be that simple??? Hasn't been for me but I love the style/look so I'd love to learn to do it on myself. currently I can only do it on my sisters. :D I'd love to seem more videos whether its hair tutorials, sewing tutorials {PLEASE! :D} or outfit videos...please post more!
    Bethany
    Enjoy giveaways? If so then check out our giveaway blog! www.giveawaysofblessing.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. just keep practicing! I couldn't do it for forever, and then I was messing around on a porch, and,Ta-da! it worked!

      Delete
  5. Thanks so much for being such a great example in modesty! What are your thoughts on a outfit your not sure is modest or not?
    ~ Britney

    ReplyDelete
  6. what in the world is an Amish hippie grandmother? you should share a picture...

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like your first awkward one. Once when I was on the beach with my baby sister, (about 1 at the time), and elderly woman asked me if she was my child, and I'm only 13! I seriously couldn't believe that she thought my baby sister was MY child!
    Lovely outfit by the way.

    ReplyDelete
  8. love awkward and awesome posts! :)

    Your french braid skills are amazing!! I cannot do it on myself. But, after seeing your video I think I'll keep trying. The only thing is that my hair is quite a bit longer (down past my bottom) so it really gets tangled.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That french braid looked ridiculously easy. I can't believe you did it that fast. I love the outfits that you put together. This one is simply lovely! And as always your awkward/awesome posts make me laugh (at least the awkward part). :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I know how you feel about looking old! Last year a man asked my dad "is this the wife and kids?" and it was just me and my two younger sisters! Ahhhh...but no worries, I'm pretty sure we both look our age!
    I love your outfit! Super cute!

    ~Vicki
    deckedoutinruffles.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. We have a blender (and my mom is making a smoothie in it right now LOL) and it moves across the counter too! So annoying! :P

    ReplyDelete
  12. if i could only do a french braid on myself that easy! :)

    -Laura

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow! I love your outfit....and thank you so much for the french-braiding video! I have read countless instructions and watched a million videos trying to figure it out! And I never could!! But I just watched your video with NO instructions, tried it, and went....TADAA!! I can now french braid. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hello, Olivia!
    I just wanted to say how much I LOVE this fashion blog! I enjoy dressing in a feminine (and modest;) manner and I find it very difficult to find cute items to wear! Your blog is very inspiring and helpful. I think I need to learn how to sew. :)

    In Him,
    Anne Marie

    ReplyDelete
  15. I like reading these "Awkward and Awesome" posts. Thanks for the braid tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Super cute hairstyle, I'll have to try that! Love the outfits as well!

    I love the Awesome and Awkward challenge!

    I've never been able to do French braiding. . .on myself, now, I just might be able to! :D

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a beautiful outfit and hairstyle. I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm confused. Is this video fora simple braid or a french braid?
    Love, Katie

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love this! I actually have the same skirt.... I got it for a few dollars at Goodwill(: I simply adore how you paired it with the striped top!

    Your Sister in Christ,
    Grace
    www.gracefullyfeminine.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Fresh Modesty is fashion blog which encourages girls to "Dress outside your box, but inside His Book!" I allow anonymous comments so those without accounts can comment, but I would really appreciate it if you would identify yourself by some form of a name. :) Thank you for taking the time to comment!