Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Kews and Ehs #5: TOMS and Postmilennialism


I don't have very many shoes and alot of the more casual shoes like sneakers don't seem to go with my long or medium skirts and dresses. Alot of flats are made really poorly with no padding for comfort. And heels of course, are pretty but impractical for daily chores and outings. Do you have any suggestions?

Cinderella is living proof that a pair of shoes can change your life. ;) 
Actually, I believe shoes are one of the most important aspects of dressing. They can definitely make or break the "look" of an outfit. Especially with skirts. It's really hard to find shoes that don't make us look like ducks. (Ya know?) So, for summer, I livvvve in flip-flops. They're flattering, super versatile, and cheap-ish. I have some friends who can't wear flip flops though, so they wear TOMS with their skirts. I love the look. 

 If I had $58, it would go towards these. Perfect for summer jump roping! ;)

I'm in love with the above TOMS. Seriously adorbs and the perfect blend of casual/classy. I personally rarely wear flats because they never fit me correctly, and they're never comfortable. So, that leaves boots, flip flops, Keds, TOMS, and the like. One of my friends has these in white and they are the cutest thing ever- she wears them in the creek even! So awesome. I think I've seen some knock-offs, too.


I have a pair of patterned Keds (can't find mine on the site, but these are on sale for $20 right now and SO cute. I want them.) that I found at the thrift store that I wear when I'll be biking or something. I also wear this pair of loafers a lot. The ends of laces hanging everywhere are one of my pet peeves, so when the rare occasion comes up that I wear my tennis shoes with a skirt (usually a long denim one to play soccer), I tie my laces and then tuck them in so you can't see them. :P My tennis shoes that I love look like this but light brown:

I hope that helps a little. Shoes are so important and a huge part of an outfit.

What helps inspire you to dress modestly despite the world's immodest fashions?
Postmilennialism. This isn't a theology blog, and don't plan on turning this into one, but honestly, it's inspiring. Postmilennialism is, in short, an end-times theology that holds that instead of things just getting worse and worse until Christ returns, things will get better and better, and Christ will be triumphant here on earth before He returns. What does this have to do with fashion? The orthopraxy between the two views is astonishingly different.
If we believe that things will only get worse and worse, what's the point of striving to make things better? Although we don't need another reason besides that the Bible tells us to do it, what reason would we have to dress modestly and encourage others in the same if it's not going to do any long-term good? Why not just give up and maybe Christ will return sooner if things get bad enough?

If, however, we believe that the Great Commission asks us to, "Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit,  teaching them to observe all things that I have commanded you; and lo, I am with you always, even to the end of the age. Amen." (Matt. 28:18-20) then it becomes our great pleasure to strive for encouraging other believers towards "observing all things that I have commanded you". When we dress, we're to be making the world a better place! What we wear matters. Our clothes can be an evangelism tool. The fabric we drape around ourselves can help give our children and grand children a more Christ-centered nation. It may seem a little far fetched, but if we can be excited about it, it changes our entire attitude and ultimately our lives. God's ways are the best way.


I don't get dressed in the morning with words like "postmilennialism", "orthopraxy", and "great commission" bouncing around in my head, but I do walk into my closet remembering the smiles, attitudes, and great modesty ideas of my friends who share this vision for cultural reformation. They're my inspiration.

I realize not everyone holds this view, and that's okay. But, I felt it was important for y'all to know where I'm coming from and where I have my sights set. It is a huge part of who I am.


I am so thankful for the godly women God has placed in my life at all stages to encourage me to sparkle. :D

Any tests to help decide if a shirt is too tight or a skirt is too big etc.?
There are a lot of tests online to help with deciding what is modest or not- after a quick google search, I found these two helpful links:
My own morning tests are usually just visual- is my bust outlined by a tight shirt? Where do your eyes immediately go when you look at me? Is it my chest? Does my skirt fit too tight around my rear? Is my skirt too short? Otherwise, if I walk downstairs and Daddy doesn't say anything to the contrary, I'm good. :D

Where do you buy most of your clothing?
Thrift and the medium-end department stores. Sears, JCPenny's, and Khol's are my favorites. Walmart, too. I don't get to go clothes shopping except like twice a year if that, so Walmart is awesome for getting a little "closet pick-me-up" every once in a while. I only buy on clearance at Walmart though- otherwise the quality isn't worth it. :)

Why did you move to the country?
Well, long story short we moved to be near our church. Our church just happens to be very agrarian-minded, so here we are happily in the country. We also wanted to be able to be self-sustaining if we needed to be and wanted to try our hand at raising our own food. :) We've since found out that it's a ton of work. :P

Pin It


16 comments :

  1. I wholeheartedly agree with everything said about the TOMS. Ever since I got mine I have practically lived in them, honestly i rarely wear any other shoes because they are cute, comfortable, and they look cute with skirts and pants. My feet thank me :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm a post-millennialist too! The Great Commision is SO vital. Love reading your blog, am an eagerly waiting your tutorial for the lovely denim A-line skirt. Shalom.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have some Keen maryjane shoes that I really like. They are wider and more substantial than most cheaper flats, are really comfortable and look great with skirts :) They are $75 new, which is pretty expensive... but I found my pair on eBay for under half price. Here is a link to the description on Keen's website: http://www.keenfootwear.com/us/en/product/ss12/shoes/women/blvd/sienna%20mj%20canvas/shaded%20spruce

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've always thought that Toms wouldn't look all that great with skirts but never tried it out...but come to think of it they probably wouldn't be all that bad. I've just only seem toms with jeans and I wear skirts everyday so...but thanks for sharing!
    Bethany
    Enjoy giveaways? If so then check out my giveaway blog! http://giveawaysofblessing.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have those tennies hoes and I love them!!!!!! they are my aorund the house tennies hoes but next time I buy tennis shoes for good I am going to buy that style and brand!!!!!!! I hope to buy them in black though! Kara wears thems too. That is how I found out about them. I love the picture of you and your TN friends. They look like awesome girls and I wish I knew them!!!!! And of course I like the picture of you and everyone from Wheeling.
    Love, Katie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aww! Look at us. We're so cute.

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Another post-mill here:D. Yeah, it's not like I go around with the word "postmilennialism" on my mind either. If fact, I rarely even think of that word :), but it is a huge part of who I am.

    I love the pics on this post. So cute:).

    ReplyDelete
  8. your posts are so inspiring!!!

    ♥Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi! I have featured you on my blog thenerveofverve.blogspot.com! Please come visit! Love your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Maybe it's just because I'm Canadian, but it took until just not for me to realized that "ehs" is not the way it is usually spelled! I noticed on the first post that "kews" was different, but in my head thought that you always spell "A" "eh". :P
    I've never commented before, so I should probably tell you that I love your blog! Your style is beautiful and modest - you are my favourite fashion blogger!
    God Bless,
    Laurel

    ReplyDelete
  11. Dearest Olivia~
    I've got to say that I really enjoy both your fashion and sewing blogs. You are such a great encouragement to me and a wonderful inspiration!
    Now, I must say that we unfortunately don't see eye to eye when it comes to the post-millennialism aspect, because I believe that things DO get worse and worse until Christ comes back. 2 Timothy chapter 3 is an excellent example of that. In verse 12, Paul writes, "Indeed, all who desire to live a godly life in Christ Jesus will be persecuted, while evil people and impostors will go on from bad to worse, deceiving and being deceived." Just look at what's happening in our world today for proof! However, I respect your viewpoint and beliefs, and I'm proud to call you my fellow sister in Christ.
    You said in your post that we don't really have a reason to dress modestly and encourage others to do the same if we don't believe in the post-millennialist view. That we "might as well give up" so Christ can return sooner in that case. But where does that leave all of us girls who don't believe in post-millennialism?
    I believe, however, that we have an awesome responsibility before God to NEVER give up, be we post-millennialist or not: to "be faithful until the end (death), and I will give you the crown of life." (Revelation 2:10) So, we have an AMAZING reason to stay faithful: eternal life! And there are so many more reasons: among them, we will get to see God's face (Matthew 5:8), we will be given a crown of glory and righteousness (1 Peter 5:4, 2 Timothy 4:8),and Christ will tell us, "Well done, good and faithful servant! You have been faithful over a little; I will set you over much. Enter into the joy of your master!"

    I believe that it will be worth all of the trouble we went to of dressing modestly if we can reach out to the world and show them who Christ is through our wardrobes.

    So, I just wanted to tell you that we non-post-millennialists DO have a reason to keep on keeping on, even though we think this world's not getting any better. :)

    May you have a wonderfully blessed day!

    Love in Christ,
    Alicia Joy
    ajoyworthhaving.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank-you for the great comment Alicia! From a girl who believes wholeheartedly in the rapture I was hoping someone would say something to balance out the perspective!!

      Delete
    2. Pre-Trib gal here, too. I love Paul's statement: 'I strive always to keep my conscience clear before God and man'. I dress daily with God and my fellow man (and lady) in mind. I want to please my God, be a good example to women, and help protect my brother's mind. We are all sisters in Christ if we are reborn, and thankfully our understandings of the Millenium and Rapture don't change that.

      Thanks for being so open and respectful, Olivia. I am enjoying your site!

      Delete
  12. I'm not Christian, nor do I especially dress for modesty, but I stumbled on this blog, and it's really cute. You have awesome affordable ideas, and help girls with modesty in mind rock it. Also, I thought you stated your beliefs in a really classy way :) its so nice to see such a positive influence

    -Songie

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am mennonite and really appreciate your blog. Its inspiring to find modest clothing ideas, while i wear dresses i wear long skirts with my scrub tops for work :) thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  14. Okay, suggestions for shoes that look good with skirts: how about no shoes? ;) I seriously would go barefoot everywhere if I could, but since I can't, I go with slip-on and thong-style sandals most of the year (yes, Texas) and comfy-but-pretty boots when it gets too cold. I don't like flats on me. :/
    Since going barefoot is not always practical or safe, and since sandals can be hard to walk, run, and move easily in, I like my Xeroshoes. They're flat sandals that tie on securely, allowing natural, barefoot-like movement---and I find them quite beautiful, including with skirts. They look kind of like those gladiator sandals ladies wear with maxi dresses. :)

    ReplyDelete

Fresh Modesty is fashion blog which encourages girls to "Dress outside your box, but inside His Book!" I allow anonymous comments so those without accounts can comment, but I would really appreciate it if you would identify yourself by some form of a name. :) Thank you for taking the time to comment!