Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Kews and Ehs #7: Shopping Habits, Sewing, and Cheese

What is your favourite historical fashion era?  Do you ever dress up in it just for fun?
Old old fashion era- I love 1780-90s, but the 1950's or 70's is my favorite more recent, transfers-to-today era. ;) I may loose some followers over this, but I'm really not a fan of dressing up in other eras "for fun"-- I would rather invest my time and energy in practical outfits. :) Plus, I feel like it is too ostentatious for me personally and I'd rather meekly "stay off the radar" so to speak.

Where do you get your patterns for skirts?
I only use my own drafted patterns, Butterick 3134 (A-line) and McCalls 5514 (Out of print gored skirt). I just bought those on sale for a dollar at JoAnns years and years ago. :)

How often do you shop for new clothes to wear/ old clothes to alter?
I do a purposed "clothes shopping day" about twice a year, and then just a glance around when I'm out for new things maybe every three weeks to a month or so. :) I try not to spend more than $3 on an item of clothing if it's not a designated clothes shopping day, so buying a new shirt once or twice a month isn't exactly a burden at that price. :D

I've been changing up my diet recently, and I wondered if you are on any diet (gluten-free, vegetarian, etc.)?
Haha, I've mentioned this a bit on the blog lately, but yes, I'm on a "super healthy eating" diet-- I basically only eat veggies, organic grass-fed beef and chicken, fruits, nuts, white rice, and raw (except for butter and cheeses, but even those are organic and grass-fed. :) dairy, and occasionally some gluten-free flours like millet, potato, or coconut, but those are a special treat. :) No sugars, flours, grains, oils, canned, boxed, or smashed-to-smithereens foods. :) Our family was vegetarian for a good portion of my childhood, but we've since learned the benefits of animal fat. :)

If you knew the world was going to end in five minutes, what would you do?
Wow, what a question! I suppose I can't steal Martin Luther's famous line, "If I knew the world was going to end tomorrow, I would plant a tree today." :D Truthfully, I would speed clean our house and then run outside and watch, I think. :D

What are your plans for after your graduation from highschool?
Well, I just have a little bit more math to do to qualify for an official diploma, so I'm practically living my "after graduation" life now-- caring for my family, writing ebooks, living on a farm, making clothes, studying computer programs, working for my dad, loving every day, blogging, y'all get the picture. :D



I know that lots of the clothes you wear are what you have sewn. Who did you learn to sew from?
I had a friend's mother offer to teach me how to sew a pioneer dress from a pattern when I was 14. I learned a lot from that one pattern and have taught myself the rest since. :)
 My brother, me wearing that dress I learned to sew from, and Emma at the Jamestown 400 event in 2007. 5 years can do a lot!

"How tall are you?
5 feet 1 3/4 inches ;)

What are your favorite accessories to wear?
Belts and hats. :) Earrings are a must, too... 

 What are some of your favorite bands/musicians?
I love all sorts of music, so I'll just spout out the first several that come to mind: Laura Story, Michael Card, Taylor Swift, Carrie Underwood, Brad Paisley, Rascall Flatts, Bruno Mars, Michael Buble', Frank Sinatra, The Piano Guys, The Band Perry, Elvis, The Beach Boys... yeah, pretty much everyone. BTW, I far from endorse/approve of all the music of these artists. :)

What style of wedding dress do you want/like?


I saw this wedding dress back before Pinterest was even around and just fell in love with it. I just love the overlay of doilies with the colorful under layer... although I'm thinking I would want a pale purple as my under-color. I've been saving/ buying doilies just in case I ever get the chance to make my own dress. :) The bride who made this dress actually crocheted these herself- in under a month!

What's your favorite book and why? 
Is it terrible that I don't have a favorite book? I really don't do enough reading to have a favorite. However, if I had to pick the book that's impacted me most in the last few months, it would be It's Not That Complicated by the Botkin Sisters. Highly recommended- it helped me with all relationships, not just those with boys. :)


What is your favorite kind of cheese?
Kerrygold Dubliner from Costco. :D

What's your favorite movie? :)
Letters to Juliet, hands down. I've watched it 6+ times... and I don't even own it. :P The Italian countrysided just makes me happy. :)


What would you do if you knew the world was going to end in five minutes?

Pin It


22 comments :

  1. I would probably try to do something special for someone and I would definitely watch it too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. OH. My. Goodness. We were at the Jamestown 400 event back in 2007. Of course, I didn't know who you were back then. But still. :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, I didn't know who you were back then, either! ;) *sigh* I didn't know anyone back then and was really too shy to introduce myself (although looking back at what I wore I'm glad I didn't! :P), but it was such a well-attended event and I probably could have gotten to know so many people! I've met probably over a dozen people now in person afterwards who also attended.

      Delete
  3. Fun Q&A! Our family was at Jamestown, as well! We were some of the finalists on the J-400 treasure hunt. I can hardly believe it's been 5 years!
    Oh, we have a weakness for Dubliner, too! It's our favorite. :D

    Wow, that is a gorgeous dress. What an industrious lady! I'd love to wear a dress like this on my wedding day: http://pinterest.com/pin/283375001523003701/
    Of course, the groom will hopefully be wearing something a little more "rugged". :P

    Hope y'all have a blessed week!

    ~Livvy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, we did the treasure hunt! We missed the finalist deadline by a couple hours, though. :P My sister who had to wait to be born so my mom could help finish that last clue we named an anagram of Elias- Elsia. :D

      Ohhh that dress is pretty! Good choice. ;)

      Delete
  4. I lovvvve letters to juliet!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Haha, when I read the question abut what you would do if the world was about to end before I even saw your answer I thought, "I'd plant a tree." :) But for myself, I might sit on the patio and say a prayer then wait. Five minutes doesn't quite give enough time to plant a tree, anyway!

    Historical reenactments seem like so much fun...I hope one day I get a chance to go to one!

    ~Vicki
    deckedoutinruffles.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm 5'1. Lol. From your pictures, you look taller. For some reason I get excited when people are around the same height as me. Haha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! I'm stuck at 5'2", but my mom claims I'm only 5'1 3/4". :)

      Delete
  7. I totally agree about dressing up in different eras 'just for fun.' I'd much rather spend the time and energy on something practical and wearable.
    I loved Letters to Juliet too!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I Love your answers! I think I would probably pray for the lost.
    Love, Katie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what i would do. Or go out and shout to the world how they need Christ. Obviously only some of them. :)

      Delete
  9. Hi! I recently found your blog and I just wanted to let you know that I absolutely love it!! Your clothing ideas are helpful.
    I think your answer to the first question is great. Sounds kinda like me. "Dressing up" can get expensive too.
    And I like your music choices. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Those were fun answers to read! :) I think I would gather up my family and then wait outside (If I knew about the world ending...)

    I've only seen Letters to Juliet once, but I REALLY want to see it again.. and for the same reason! The beautiful Italian setting! I SO want to go to Italy someday!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. You don't look at all like you're only 5'1 and 3/4 inches! I'm 5'8 1/2 and look practically the same height as you do in your pictures. =) Funny! Love your style, by the way!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Haha! I love being short. :) I'm glad y'all think I look taller, though- if you notice, sometimes I'm standing on my tip toes in pictures to make me look taller and less squatty. :D

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh wow. I wish I was 5'1 3/4"! I'm a lot taller. I'm like 5'7" or 5'8". Can't remember exactly. The bad part is that whenever I'm around my friends they are all so much shorter than I am! And when I wear heels it's even worse (and I love heels). It's really strange when most of the boys around you are shorter than you too. :P Awkward!
    I love the wedding dress. I have that pinned to my pinboard too. I haven't picked which wedding dress I'm going to base mine off of, but I have been pinning ideas. I know that it's going to be old-fashioned and it's going to have lace. I don't really like the shiny, silky ones that a lot of woman are wearing today (not my style!).
    If the world ended in five minutes I would be outside watching too. :P And I probably wouldn't take the time to clean the house either.
    Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am like 5'7" and love to wear heels to! I does create sort of a problem sometimes.....

      Delete
  14. Hi Olivia! I stumbled upon your blog a few days ago and I must say it is just too cute! Your outfits are just darling!

    If the world was going to end in five minutes I'd probley go watch it too!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love this post! I can relate or agree with almost everything.
    I'm "short" and I love it. I like most of your musical choices too.
    The wedding dress is so pretty. I want to make one like it, only I wouldn't wear it as a wedding dress. I want my wedding dress to be all white. But a doily dress would be AWESOME!
    I totally agree with you about It's (Not That) Complicated. It changed a lot of what I thought about every relationship. I completely indorse that book too.

    Laurel

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love your answers. :) Ooh yes, we love Letters to Juliet as well. Gooood that's gooood. :)

    Genevieve

    ReplyDelete
  17. I just watched Letters to Juliet for the first time today! :) I <3 that movie!! (aside from a few bad words...and her JERK of a fiance!) :) Hmm...if the world ended in 5 minutes, I suppose I would make sure that I was presentable for Jesus. Inside and outside. :)

    ReplyDelete

Fresh Modesty is fashion blog which encourages girls to "Dress outside your box, but inside His Book!" I allow anonymous comments so those without accounts can comment, but I would really appreciate it if you would identify yourself by some form of a name. :) Thank you for taking the time to comment!