Monday, June 25, 2012

Sundress + Cooperative Toil

Happy Monday, y'all! Yesterday was wonderful- church in the morning, babyshower in the afternoon! I wore this until almost 6 o'clock- it's so comfortable!

Even the shoes, which I wore up into the woods for a bit. :P The sermon was on Philippians 1:27,28 (emphasis mine):
"Whatever happens, conduct yourselves in a manner worthy of the gospel of Christ. Then, whether I come and see you or only hear about you in my absence, I will know that you stand firm in the one Spirit, striving together as one for the faith of the gospel without being frightened in any way by those who oppose you."
The three points were humble unity,  cooperative toil,  and steadfast courage. Sound doctrine should unite our minds, and humility connects our spirits to each other in the body of Christ. We are to strive together, for one purpose, in a manner worthy of the gospel. For the faith and all that faith includes~ believing, worshiping, living rightly. So that by our manner we may show the gospel.

This community focused living and interacting is so important. Correct me if I'm wrong, but no where in the Bible does it talk about our individuality specifically. Instructions to Christians are always in the context of other believers, of family, church, tribe, nation. None of this "It's just me and God" stuff.

However, we can't really minister effectively or expect others to mature in their understanding of Christ if we ourselves are not personally doing so. Joy cannot spill over the top of my cup onto others if my Source is not flowing into me.

I needed to hear that. I love the term "cooperative toil". It gives such an aura of the Body of Christ working together. Striving with one another, for one another, for others, for a purpose. Toil isn't called toil for nothing. It's hard, it's work, it's hot and sticky and bug bite-y and not always jolly. But we do it, and we do it together. For the sake of the furtherance of the faith. In a manner worthy of the gospel. I'm preaching to myself here, because I always seem to think that if something's the right thing to do, God will make it easy. Unfortunately, usually it's the opposite. God is good and His mercy endures forever. :)

I wore a sundress yesterday. My grandparents bought me this dress at JCPenny's several years ago and it's been great. I put my Halftee and this brown skirt underneath to make it modest. :) Hat from Macy's, shoes from Payless. Pretty easy! I think it works well because the two layering pieces are the same color.  Hope y'all have a wonderful day!

What was your sermon about?
Pin It


21 comments :

  1. Love the layered skirt underneath.. it looks very nice. The colors in that dress are beautiful! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. you wear so many hats on sunday! I can never make a hat look good. Any ideas?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cute dress! Love the outfit! :)
    We've been studying in Exodus.
    Natasha
    A Modest Fashion Blog:
    www.natashaatkerson.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Is your church going through Philippians? My church just finished Philippians after spending two years in it! :) Love the hat!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! We've been on it for 7 weeks and we're not even through the first chapter! Love it. :)

      Delete
  5. I notice that you seem to be wearing a hat in all your Sunday pictures. Is this a conviction of your family/church? From what I've gathered from your blog, I surmise that you are Reformed Presbyterian. I attended a RP church for several years. A lot of the women there wore hats or some form of head covering on Sundays.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a personal conviction of mine held since before we came to our current church, where most of the women wear them. Our previous church was also Reformed Presbyterian, but I was the only one wearing a hat. :) My dad told us girls that wearing a headcovering is our own decision. :) Hope that answers your question! I have been meaning to do a Q&A post answering this one for a while because I get it all the time! :P

      Delete
  6. That outfit is SO cute!!! I love the hat too, but I was just thinking a fedora hat might go nicely with the dress as well, but then I don't know if it would go with the shoes....anyways, I absolutely love this outfit. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! You're so right! I had a hard time deciding which hat to wear, fedora or newsboy, newsboy or fedora... and finally decided to go with the newsboy because I wear the fedora a lot. :P

      Delete
  7. That skirt and shirt perfectly match! Before I looked at the bottom page, I totally thought it was part of the dress! LOVE your shoes!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your Hair is *SO* pretty =D

    :)
    Kay!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Super cute! The skirt and shirt go perfectly together!
    Those verses are wonderful. Thanks for posting them!

    ~Vicki
    deckedoutinruffles.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. you look so Radiant! :-)

    When I saw it, I thought it was a whole dress in itself, halftee, skirt and all!

    It really suits you.

    Oh dear, I wish I had a newsboy cap!

    I feel so ashamed to tell you that......... I forgot what our sermon was about :-(

    After all, Church was 2 days ago for me :-)
    Let me assure you, I did listen to the sermon, I wasn't twiddling my thumbs :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. You look lovely! I love what you said about the church working together. It is SO SO SO true. We as a church body need to stick together. It isn't about just us.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I saw your Gmail status, Olivia, and so I Googled "My sister's sleep" and it came up with your blog! That's a little weird...:P

    ReplyDelete
  13. you are so pretty and look great in any outfit! i love that summer dress, though if i were wearing it i'd have nothing under it :)
    your blog is beautiful...love what you're doing!
    xoxo,
    Holly

    ReplyDelete
  14. Cute outfit! I am curious what you do with your hair. It always looks so pretty when you wear it down. Do you curl it? Or is it naturally curly?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My hair is naturally stick straight and slightly pouffy. I usually let it dry in a braid of some sort so it's crimpy and textured and then I curl the ends. :)

      Delete
  15. I love reading your blog and getting fashion ideas from your outfits! :) I love how you layer your halftees so nicely with different things, so I decided to order one today and try them for myself. Can't wait for it to get here! :)
    Blessings!
    Marie

    ReplyDelete
  16. Using a half tee and brown underskirt to make it modest? No way! I could've sworn that was all one piece if you hadn't mentioned it!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I used this method (the skirt under dress) the other day for church, because the dress was almost above my knee, and no one even knew that it was a skirt!
    Thanks!
    ~Aaliyah~

    ReplyDelete

Fresh Modesty is fashion blog which encourages girls to "Dress outside your box, but inside His Book!" I allow anonymous comments so those without accounts can comment, but I would really appreciate it if you would identify yourself by some form of a name. :) Thank you for taking the time to comment!