Sunday, July 29, 2012

Home Again

Hey! It's so good to be home and back in my own bed, with my own dust, all my clothes, and my chores. :D Also awesome to be back with my church family. I'm thankful for the ability to listen to my pastor's sermons on my phone via podcasts-- I've listened to last week's sermon 4 times! It was that good. My favorite quote was the opening line:


"Men have worked hard in their pursuits in life, climbing each rung of the ladder of life only to find when they get to the top that the ladder is leaning against the wrong wall."

 Wow. I pray I always am ascending up towards Christ's kingdom. 


 Super easy outfit today: 
Shirt: Target
Skirt: Thrift store
Hat: Handmedown
Shoes: Payless
Necklace: Gift

So, last night when I tried on my outfit, I was frustrated. This shirt is not tight in the least bit, but no matter what I did, it laid funny across my chest and had those lines that are generally associated with tight shirts. It was just the cut/fabric weight combination I think. So, I thought, well, it's not tight, it's just the fabric thickness. And how do you help that? Interfacing! Seriously, I chopped a big ol' square of it and slapped it with the iron onto the inside of my shirt and voila! No lines. I jumped up and down, because I wasn't going to be able to wear the shirt with those lines, and now I can! :D

So, what makes this outfit work? The neck of the t-shirt keeps it stylishly simple, and paired with the dressy skirt it's totally fine for church. The belt helps keep the outfit from looking like a "black hole" as my sister calls it. :D The belt and the hat also match for an easy ensemble of accessories. Dainty gold necklace offsets and brings class to the chunky belt and textured hat. :) No earrings for simplicity's sake, but extra eyeliner since these hats can often shadow your eyes. :D

How have y'all been? What's your favorite metaphor (shortish ;)) of all time?

Pin It


14 comments :

  1. love your outfit!! the skirt is awesome!
    new follower here!

    http://elohveethree.blogspot.ca/

    ReplyDelete
  2. JMJ
    You look gorgeous as always!
    I loooooove our pastor's sermons.
    Hmm, favorite metaphor, I don't really know. :)
    In Christ,
    Rose

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cute outfit, Olivia! Love your Pastor's metaphor-hopefully it's not the wrong wall very often.
    Natasha
    A Modest Fashion Blog:
    www.natashaatkerson.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. cute & classy!
    Love, Katie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Super cute! I love your skirt!
    I hate when shirts are like that! I've had a couple that are definitely not tight, but they look like they are just because of the way the fabric sits.

    Thanks for sharing that quote! I really like that, and I think it's very true.
    Hmm...a favorite metaphor? That's hard as a person who loves metaphors! But one of my recent favorites from reading is, "there's always a door in the wall." it's from a children's book, but it always gets me thinking!

    ~Vicki
    deckedoutinruffles.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful, Olivia! You always look stunning! :)

    Was wondering if you would be willing to do a post on healthy foods- you say you love cooking healthy, so as someone trying to eat healthier and lose a little weight, I thought it would be nice to hear about what you do...exercise, snacks, recipes, tips. :)

    Love your blog!

    _B

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. _B, I've been thinking about it- thanks for the reminder! I may just do that one of these days... although I'll say, I'm the daughter of a health-freak nurse and I don't have any clue how I would go about conveying even a fraction of everything I have soaked up. :P I'll see what I can do though. :)

      Delete
  7. I really like the outfit - the skirt is so lovely!
    My favourite metaphor? "You will find time to do what is important to you" (this was in the context of prayer, Bible reading and evangelisation... and the excuses we make for NOT doing it!) really gets you thinking, hey?!

    I have a question!
    How short do you reckon is TOO short for a skirt? Any tips YOU use to determine if on is too short?!

    God bless you Olivia... Keep seeking Him!

    Emily xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Emily- that's an awesome metaphor! :)

      Answer: I wear my skirts to the middle of my knees. That seems to be a length that allows you to be modest as your moving around. I don't really have any tests, sorry, since I just go with length. Hope that helps!
      Blessings to you!

      Delete
  8. I really like your belt! I've never really worn belts much but I've been looking at lots of really cute looks with belts and am feeling a bit inspired. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love your outfit! it's super cute ;) question: do you go to a church where all the ladies wear hats?
    I'm kinda curious :))
    -NaOmI

    ReplyDelete

Fresh Modesty is fashion blog which encourages girls to "Dress outside your box, but inside His Book!" I allow anonymous comments so those without accounts can comment, but I would really appreciate it if you would identify yourself by some form of a name. :) Thank you for taking the time to comment!