Thursday, August 2, 2012

Tried and True

 Yo yo, bros! Errr... sistas! Hope you had/have an awesome day serving Christ! This quote has stuck with me this week:
"Whatever you do today, make sure it's worth exchanging a day of your life for."
 

Awkward:
  • Trying to take your phone case off and dropping it in your plate of eggs.
  • Cutting the inside of your mouth by hitting the end of your toothbrush on your car door.
  • Wrapping your leftover chocolate covered bacon in a napkin and stuffing it in your clutch and carrying it home two blocks.
  • Prepaying for gas at Sheetz, and the young cashier guy as he gives you your receipt asks , "Would you like a fork with that?" and hands you a plastic fork. o.O
  • Awkward is McKenna, my dear friend. ;)
  • Driving down the road, singing to music with friends and casually commenting on random things you see. "Oh, look! That license plate just says 'OK'!" Your friend looks over at the fancy black car and exclaims, "I know that guy!! His daughter goes to my sister's school. His name is Orphy Klempa!" *stunned silence* That's his name? "Yeah, he's a senator!" :P
  • Stopping in Charleston, West Virginia and having a picnic behind Enterprise Rent-A-Car in somebody's side yard. Not just any picnic, but a from-a-crock-pot-taco-salad-eat-with-a-fork picnic. 
  • Sitting in Chick-Fil-A by yourself, texting Madeline. She asks for a picture of the back pocket of the skirt your wearing, so you look around and real quick hold your phone below your chair, sitting funky, and snap a picture. And then you notice a guy on the other side of the restaurant was watching you. Look on his face is priceless. 
  • Going into the farm co-op. According to a friend, I'm probably a welcome change to the normal gruff farmer traffic of the day, but really? Darling, precious, and sweetie pie all in the same sentence about chicken feed? Maybe this is just southern draw I'll get used to.
I wore tried and true favorites to go shopping today:
Skirt, made by me
Boots, TJMaxx
Earrings: Walmart
Clutch: Target
I loooove this clutch! It holds everything I need to shop when I don't necessarily have pockets, yet isn't too big that I'm constantly searching in my purse. And it can hang on my wrist, so it doesn't hurt my shoulder like normal purses. If you're tired of looking clumsy as you root around in your purse for your keys, money, or whatever, you should look into a clutch. This one was $10 bucks. :)


Awesome:
  • Feeding my obsession for lime green mantle decorations by finding a ceramic owl and a candle holder at Target.
  • My friends, all of them. Tall, short, quiet, vivacious, near, far, male, female-- I'm thankful for you all.
  • The "playground for grown ups" at the park. It's basically stationary exercise equipment like bars, ropes, benches, etc to work out on. A word from the experienced: sit ups on reverse incline benches burn much deeper the next day/week than normal sit ups. :P
  • Grandma's house. Always the same, always home.
  • Coming home to the strong log house smell. It's amazing, and soothing. Sad I get used to it while living here since it's so delightful- I'd love to know I'm smelling it! :P
  • My sister telling everyone at dinner: "You know, sometimes my nose makes noises that make me think there's someone talking to me." We laughed so hard.
  • Getting into a conversation with a {different} guy at Chick-Fil-A and sharing the Gospel with him for over an hour. The floor mopper hears what we're talking about and backs me up and also joyfully shares what Christ has done for us.
  • The response to my "Friends of Fresh Modesty" post! I've gotten many submissions and can't wait to share them with you! 
  • Buying cactus! Except that I've been picking pokey things out of my hands all day. 
  • Spilling a bag of gluten free noodles on the floor of Walmart. I got the "awesome" vibe from this one instead of "awkward", surprisingly.  
  • Getting the major shopping trip done in 7.5 hours instead of the normal 12-14 hour trips. And that included sitting at lunch for an hour. cha-ching-bada-bing.
What's been awesome or awkward about your week?

Pin It


19 comments :

  1. The awkward Chick-Fil-A episode takes the cake on the most funny!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your awesome/awkward posts soooo much. I was reading this one and i just burst out laughing, I couldn't help it. I can just imagine the look on the guys face when you took a picture of your pocket! I don't usually comment on blogs but I just had to tell you that I really enjoy reading your posts. God bless you dear!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OK,OK.........I have never posted a comment on your website although I have been following you for several months. I have to say that this has been the FUNNIEST POST EVER!!!!! We laughed SOOOOOO hard!!! O. My. Goodness!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your outfit! And that clutch is super cute!
    Hehe, I wish I could have seen the look on that guy's face at Chick-Fil-A! It must have been pretty hard not to laugh!

    ~Vicki
    deckedoutinruffles.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Haha, LOVE the photo of the skirt pocket one. PRICELESS!! I love your awkward and awesome posts, they are so fun to read!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the quote...

    The back-pocket-picture story made me laugh so loudly. :D

    Looking forward to today's post! :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. The "playground" for grownups sounds like an awesome idea!

    Oh...*Rolling on the floor with laughter* I was drinking water when I read what your sister said...I almost spit it out! :P Too funny!
    Natasha
    A Modest Fashion Blog:
    www.natashaatkerson.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't usually laugh out loud when reading blog posts, but I was in stitches when I read about the gas cashier offering you a fork to go with your gas receipt. Oh my word, that is so hilarious! I think if he had offered one to me, I might have burst out laughing on the spot. Did you manage to keep a straight face?!

    I also loved the part about you sharing the gospel with a guy at Chick-Fil-A. That's totally cool. Although I have to wonder, how did that start?! Are people just really talkative and friendly where you live? (I'm from Minnesota - I hear we're more reserved! We're still friendly, just quieter. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Julia, haha, I just said, "No thanks!" and walked out... once outside the door I realized what in the world he had just asked me and had a huge cheesy grin on my face until I got to the car and busted out laughing. :P

      The convo started with me saying the kid he was babysitting was cute, and him asking if I went to the local college. Within 5 more questions he asked, "So you're pretty religious, aren't you?" and then he was just very open about stuff. It was great. He was from California, and just a talkative guy. Super curious about how I could live such a different lifestyle. :)
      In general, though, people in the South are more talkative to strangers than Northerners, I think. :)

      Delete
    2. Gotta love Californians - pretty open... maybe I'm biased tho, since I'm from California. (;P)

      It isn't so awesome in the summer ... I'm sweating ALL the time. Anyway, it's great that God lead you to that gentleman so you could share the gospel. (And that the floor mopper joined in)

      ~Kate

      Delete
  9. You seriously have some awkward things happen to you! :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. hahah I'm glad I created that awkward moment for you ;) ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. The first Chick-fil-A story was hilarious. I think I would be more embarrassed for the fork guy than amused though.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love you website! It is great. Very funny :D

    ReplyDelete
  13. Our lives are so similar it isn't even funny. Everything awkward and awesome that has happened to you could have happened to me. I was literally laughing out loud the entire way through.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh, wow. That moment with the (second) guy at Chick-Fil-A just about "made" my week. How gracious our God is!
    Take care and God keep, Olivia!

    Kaitlin
    thebendandback.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks for the laughs! :) Those were awesome!

    May I ask how you did the hem on your skirt? I've been trying to find a method for doing one like that where it won't continue to unravel but have not had much success!

    ReplyDelete
  16. "Grandma's house. Always the same, always home. "
    Oh my, that is sooo true! All over the world ;)
    Greetings from Germany

    ReplyDelete

Fresh Modesty is fashion blog which encourages girls to "Dress outside your box, but inside His Book!" I allow anonymous comments so those without accounts can comment, but I would really appreciate it if you would identify yourself by some form of a name. :) Thank you for taking the time to comment!