Monday, September 10, 2012

The Red Circle Skirt...

...Well, it has circles on it, but it's not the typical circle skirt cut. ;) Howdy! How are y'all doing? I'm basking in the happiness that a wonderful day has brought. My day started out with a warm jacket and coffee as I did animal chores, and ended looking at the stars while laughing with friends. Our sermon this  morning was about Sabbath, and the principles behind it.

It's always good to be reminded that from the beginning, God has given us six days to work, and one to rest and rejoice in. Sabbath is for worship, rest, fellowship, and edification. I'm so thankful to attend a church where everyone takes this seriously and we strive to remember the whole day (Exodus 20:8-11) and spend it together.
This usually means that after prayer time, worship, and potluck lunch, we have a time of Q&A with our pastor and just ask questions about the sermon or anything. (Kind of like Sunday school, but totally not) Alternatively we'll watch an edifying sermon-type video. Then, we'll spend the rest of the day with friends from church either having them over to our house or going to theirs. We talk and eat a ton and ride go carts and play games and have discussions. :)
This spend-all-day-together-once-a-week thing is definitely THE reason I've become so close to our church family in just 3 short years. I knew no one when we moved here, and now I call them all family.
This principle of setting aside a day for resting and basking in the glory of the Lord is so...awesome. :D

Shirt: Forever 21
Tank: Target
Skirt: Kohl's about 5 years ago
Earrings: Walmart?
Scarf: Gift
Shoes: Thrift store

This skirt was one of the first ones I bought when I first decided I liked skirts 6 years ago. I don't wear it often because it's hard to match (I can't keep a white shirt clean! :P), and it's not super slimming, but I really like it. :) The scarf around my neck was my head covering in disguise that I tied on my head during the services... with my hair in a braid, it looked like I didn't have any hair, so I didn't keep the headcovering on long. :)

Here's the dress without the scarf. ;) The satin scarf look grew on me as I wore it. :D

What was your sermon on? What do your Lord's Days usually look like?

Pin It


18 comments :

  1. I too, praise God for setting aside the Sabbath day and making it holy so that we will rest in His presence all day long. I keep the Sabbath day, Saturday, as well. Blessings Olivia!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cute! Love the skirt and your earrings! I had to work again yesterday! I really can't complain though because you are supposed to have to work every other weekend and I usually don't have to! Plus, I have only worked one other Sunday lately and that was two weeks ago! When I do work the weekends I usually only have to work one day and it's usually Saturday! So I can't really complain! My Sundays usually are just relaxing in the afternoon after church, reading or something, and sometimes going back to church in the evenings.
    Love, Katie

    ReplyDelete
  3. We have Saturday night church, so we have a wonderful Sunday to spend all together as a family! I love it! Our sermon was called "Is God Enough for Us?" That sounds like a weird title, but when explained, our pastor said, "If this church didn't have a building, Air Conditioning, we didn't have food, seats, or a band, would God be enough for us? Would we keep coming back to this church? Are we filled by 'church' or God?" Really powerful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your outfit ! I recently sewed a red skirt, and I have the same problem than you to match it !
    At my church, after the service, twice a month, we take the lunch together, and then have fellowship. We also use this time for choir practice sometimes. Then, we have a Bible study where everyody can share...When we don't eat together, we usually have some church members or visitors at home afterwards...
    Have a great week !

    ReplyDelete
  5. I worked in the nursery this week!

    P.S. cute (but modest) skirt giveaway here...
    http://rachelcoker.wordpress.com/2012/09/08/giveaway-hannah-everly-black-bow-tie-skirt/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Do you guys have family blog like where you post about what goes on at your house?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I mean olivia do you hsve a family blog?

      Delete
    2. We kept one up for about 4 years, but it's kind of fallen by the wayside while my posting here has been more frequent. But, we don't make it public, sorry. :-/

      Delete
  7. This was a wonderful outfit :) I really like shirts like that, that cup around your waist a little bit, and I loved the way the skirt kinda flowed out at the end.
    I'm not sure what the sermon was on, because I helped downstairs with the little kids, but we did have a potluck after church yesterday.
    And I totally know what you mean. We just found our church a year ago, but I love it so much, and I can almost call them family :)

    ~Molly~
    mollyslittlecorner.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. You mentioned wearing a headcovering to church and i was wondering why you choose to do that..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 1 Corinthians 11 says that a woman ought to cover her head... many people interpret this differently. I hope to do a post about it at some point.

      Delete
  9. Your hair look so cute!
    Hannah

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love your outfit! And the shirt :-)

    I can't keep white shirts clean either.... Our sermon was on Acts Chapter 3, and this Sunday it will be Acts Chapter 4. We are going through all of Acts (more than a year's worth :-)

    God Bless

    S

    ReplyDelete
  11. Adorable Olivia! Just adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh I just love this outfit, Olivia! You are beautiful, inside and out :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I really love your skirt! You always have something nice on.:)

    Sarah@http://largefamilykids.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hello! I found your Eager Hands blog a few weeks ago and have been enjoying reading through both of your blogs.

    Like Katrina, I noticed your comment about your head covering. That excited me. We wear head coverings at my church and it is rare to find others who do the same. Do you mind my asking what type of church you attend? (Mine is nondenominational.)

    ReplyDelete

Fresh Modesty is fashion blog which encourages girls to "Dress outside your box, but inside His Book!" I allow anonymous comments so those without accounts can comment, but I would really appreciate it if you would identify yourself by some form of a name. :) Thank you for taking the time to comment!