Thursday, October 11, 2012

A+A: Purple and Gray

Howdy dears! Been one of those excessively crazy days and tomorrow plans to be another! I had to go to the big city this morning and thankfully this outfit came together between waking up late, showering, and walking through muddy tractor tracks after picking up milk at the dairy. I totally sat in the Dr's office cleaning mud off my shoes while I waited forever for her to come in. Yes, it was strange, and awkward.


Dress: Thrift store
Cardigan: Handmedown
Socks: Sears? Target? My sister bought them. 
Tank: JCP
Hat: Sears
Boots: The Boot Locker, I think, in the mall... again, my sister's. She wore them all over the UK. Aren't they adorable??
Leggings: F21







Awkward:
  • The cooktop at church not working, so you microwave a whole pot of soup in a casserole dish.
  • You pull up to the Amish country store in your stylish big white passenger van. Surveying the picturesque surroundings, you notice a guy who could be anywhere from 15-40 years old (from a distance) tiredly siting on the bench out front drinking a root beer, wearing sunglasses. There's no telling what his story is, since this isn't exactly a common guy's hang out stop. You waltz up the wooden steps and start to turn the front door knob. The guy stands up, nearly hitting his head on the roof it seems like, "Olivia Howard, right?"   Heart stops.   "Um, yeah!" *surprised smile* "I recognized you when you pulled up!" *awkward silence...* "And you are?" "I'm L and J's brother!" "Oh! Yes, I know them! Nice to meet you!" You attempt at small talk but you can't really hear/understand him so you nod and walk inside, where the cashier had been observing this whole exchange with an amused/perplexed expression. When you've finished your shopping and go to walk back outside, you inquire as to what brought him out this way, since he doesn't live anywhere near this Amish store, and he just grins and holds the door for you. Okaaay, nice meeting you! Then as you get to your car you drop your xanthum gum in the dirt as you search for your keys in your ridiculously full tiny clutch.
  • Trying to ombre dye your skirt, but your arm gets tired holding the top of the skirt as the bottom is in the dye, so you hang the skirt from the microwave above the stove into the dye pot.
  • Having to abandon your dying project in the middle because there's hay that needs picked up and it's about to rain. So, when you come back covered in scratches and stick your hands in the navy blue dye at 10:30 pm, you suddenly look like you have a disease. Probably called Ceruleanmetacarpuspolychromasia. 
  • Having tossed all the plastic waterbottles in the house in a fit of decluttering rage, you have to carry a mason jar to quench your thirst. More accurately, your sister does this because she doesn't think it weird, and you decide you'd rather be dehydrated.
  • Finding 4 two-year-old chicken feet in your garage. 
  • Getting bit by a chicken (okay, so whatever it's beak grabbing onto your finger is called) and screaming, but no sound coming out because you have a cold. And then your family laughing at you for this incident.
  • Trying to chuck a bale of hay, but not being able to lift it above your waist, so it's more like a waddle hop lunge thing, while rubbing your hands raw and sneezing. Repeated 88 times.

Awesome:
  • Somebody else re-staining our garage for us! Some of you may remember the scaffolding that we had set up this time last year all around our house. My sister, mom, a friend, and I spent close to a month stripping, sanding, staining, and clear-coating our three-story log home with power washers, scaffolding, and the world's ugliest clothing. It took way longer than expected and we ran out of time to do the garage. I had been dreading this project all summer, but last week our neighbor who does this for a living came and said he could do it! I am so thankful. So, so thankful. 
  • Elderflower, licorice root, honey, and apple cider vinegar hot tea. Yummy, healing, and warm. 
  • Season 4 of Psych, with ClearPlay of course. It's a TV series about a guy who is super observant but acts like he's a psychic detective to solve crimes. Whaaaat.
  • The teepee my dad built my siblings in the backyard. It's built from bamboo he cut from the neighbor's that's like 20 ft tall. 
  • Getting the massive amount of junk in the carport completely cleaned out and put away, despite having a terrible cold that made it miserable to move.
  • My sisters processing 4 bushels of apples, despite being ill and also caring for my sick siblings and cooking all the meals while I was passed out on the couch with a box of tissues and a video on rear differentials. 
  • Napping in the sunshine. Always amazing.
  • Going to Forever 21 when all the highschoolers are there. Everywhere I turned there was a "stylish" girl, and it made me laugh. 
  • It being faster to go talk to a church friend in person than coordinating over text. Proximity rocks.
  • 600 official Google Friend Connect followers. O.o Seriously, y'all? Thanks. like a lot.

Well, I have 70 chickens to rip the guts out of tomorrow, so I better say goodnight. What's been awesome or awkward about your week? Hm? HMMMM??? *raises brows* I love reading about y'alls lives. :)
Pin It


32 comments :

  1. Cute! outfit! Actually, I can tell you have a cold. You look sleepy, but still as lovely as ever! :)

    Love awkward and awesome - Amish country, got to love it. Surely is "the simple life!"

    B

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gotta love church kitchens! I may have melted a hole in the bottom of a pot on our church cook top once.....talk about awkward! =P
    I love Psych, it's one of my fav shows! =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish I could find cute, modest dresses at our thrift stores. I found one a few years ago that I love dearly! I also found an awesome white skirt that I wear often to church. Even though I scour the local stores, I can never find as cute of pieces as you do. You have good luck!

    God bless!

    - Cara

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay! I'm not the only Christian girl watching Psych! Whaaat.
    I'm sorry you're sick! I hope you get better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cute outfit!
    Awkward: Seeing my boss, for the first time, a week after he wrote me up and suspended me. Getting behind, at work, the first day back to working for my boss after my suspension, which was more or less why I was suspended! One of the nurse's aid's telling me I need to keep my shirt pulled down in the back, otherwise I could get yelled at! Scrub pants don't stay up!
    Awesome: Last week of my first quarter of classes! Picking up 7 days of work in November! Sore abs and thighs from working out! The pain will pay off!
    Love, Katie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your outfit!

    By the way mason jars make great cups! They even have lids if you want to use them as water bottles:) We've been known to do that when we cant find our watter bottles.

    ♥Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  7. Have fun doing chickens! I always enjoyed doing them- after someone else did the first part. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well, if ya like reading about our lives, here's a small excerpt from another fellow farm/ranch girl. ;) This happened last winter, but it made me laugh reading about you tromping through the mud. :) My brother and I took the old feed truck out to check the cows. We got out about 3 miles from the house when lo and behold, the truck decided it wanted to take a nap. Wouldn't have been too big of a problem except that we hadn't fed the cows yet. The feeder on the back of the truck dispenses feed on the ground as you drive along, leaving a neat trail behind you. You can't do it in one big pile or else all the cows can't get around it. So, in a moment of sheer brilliancy, I thought up the idea of rolling the truck down the hill while the feeder was on. It did work, but I think the cows had their afternoon of entertainment as they watched these two humans running alongside the truck... :) The long walk home began nicely-until it started pouring rain... ;)
    so, yup. There's a bit of my life for ya! :)
    I really enjoy reading your posts! Thanks for all the encouragement and inspiration that you give. :)
    So, I think I can relate to what you were saying. :) Oh yes, we did get home safe and sound... We got the truck started eventually.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, you always look so cute! :D You are a gorgeous girl. Love your Amish store story. ;) That sounds very awkward, but it makes for a good story! Have fun ripping out chicken guts!

    Vanessa

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well, if ya like reading about our lives, here's a small excerpt from another fellow farm/ranch girl. ;) This happened last winter, but it made me laugh reading about you tromping through the mud. :) My brother and I took the old feed truck out to check the cows. We got out about 3 miles from the house when lo and behold, the truck decided it wanted to take a nap. Wouldn't have been too big of a problem except that we hadn't fed the cows yet. The feeder on the back of the truck dispenses feed on the ground as you drive along, leaving a neat trail behind you. You can't do it in one big pile or else all the cows can't get around it. So, in a moment of sheer brilliancy, I thought up the idea of rolling the truck down the hill while the feeder was on. It did work, but I think the cows had their afternoon of entertainment as they watched these two humans running alongside the truck... :) The long walk home began nicely-until it started pouring rain... ;)
    so, yup. There's a bit of my life for ya! :)
    I really enjoy reading your posts! Thanks for all the encouragement and inspiration that you give. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love your awk + awe posts, Olivia! And that dress! Oh my word... cutest thing ever... such a great thrift store find! Thanks for sharing. =)

    P.S. Hop on over to my blog to read my latest awkward & awesome: summer camp edition!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh my word! I laughed so hard about you meeting the "guy" at the Amish store. Way too funny. He told me about it when he got home. And he said that it was pretty awkward because he couldn't understand what you were saying either. Lol.
    You outfit is very cute, as usual. I don't normally wear dresses like that because I feel awkward in them, but maybe I could pull it off with a cardigan over it. :)

    Laurel

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! I'm a chronic mumbler... it was awesome meeting him, and the encounter had me laughing all day. I'm glad he spoke up and attempted to talk-- I probably would not have done that. :P Next time I'll try not to mumble. :D
      Cardigan=yes. :}

      Delete
  13. I really love this dress :) And the hat goes just perfect with it!

    Awkward - Saying hi to a guy at Wednesday night church, and him responding with "What's up". Ok, I don't know if I'm the only one with this problem, but I never know what to say when someone asks me whats up. So, I just stand there and smile and nod, because last time he asked me whats up, I said "I'm good." So, I don't think I will make an effort to say hi to him anymore...

    Awesome - Actually being able to go to Wednesday night church at my regular church. Usually, I have to go to a different church, because my younger siblings do AWANA there, but this week I didn't have to.

    And yes, I've had awkward situations with the Amish too. There really nice, and everything, but when you see a whole group of them walking into Pizza Hut, I had to try to sit there and hope my siblings didn't say anything. I wanted to tell them to be respectful, but I didn't want to make it obvious to the Amish that I had to tell my siblings to be quiet when they walked in.

    ~Molly~
    mollyslittlecorner.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When someone asks me "whats up?", I always say "The sky." At least the ones at church :)

      Delete
  14. We're having a birthday party for my baby girl (awesome) and half the people coming are sick/have been sick/are living with someone who is sick (akward). : )

    ReplyDelete
  15. Question: how do you get Coldplay to work on TV shows? My family has it too, and it doesn't work on our tv shows.

    lovely outfit, Olivia. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wellll....let's see...I found out that I won the most blue ribbons (in the youth) at the state fair! They give a ribbon and a cash prize! Very exciting!!! Have fun with the chickens:) So glad we didn't do them this year!

    http://www.loganmakesamess.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. Cute hat! Have you ever sewn newsboy caps before. I've been making several of them since I found a good pattern...they're so easy and make perfect gifts!
    Awesome: Getting a new sewing machine!! I am so thrilled to get this one because my other one was so frustrating to work with, as I am sewing almost every day. :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Cute outfit! I really enjoy reading your Awkward & Awesomes. I've been studying anatomy in school so your "blue hand disease" made me laugh. I can totally relate about all the "stylish" girls in F21. So true :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love your dress! That purple color is so pretty!
    Whoa...the encounter with that guy sounds superrr awkward. I'm pretty sure I would have died of awkwardness. :P or I would have said something that just made everything even more awkward!
    Haha, and you gotta love church kitchens. :P there was one time that the enamel on my aunt's pot melted, glueing it to the stove, and burning the bottom of the soup. It was so strange, since that's not supposed to happen, but we decided it just must have been the antiquated church stove. The joke for the rest of the day was "there's death in the pot!"

    Psych is one of my favorite shows! It's just so smart and funny. And I love all the characters to bits.(:

    ~Vicki
    deckedoutinruffles.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  20. Haha, how funny! I just realized that KatySue and I both said almost the exact thing and had the same experiences in our church kitchens! There must just be something about them...(;

    ReplyDelete
  21. Olivia you are SO funny! My awkward and awesome on my blog are just boring. Nothing happens to me I guess. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Love Psych!!! And your posts are so much fun. Sorry I never got back to you regarding the pictures; my husband's really busy these days, so pictures haven't really been happenin'. ;-p

    ReplyDelete
  23. Awesome:

    Going to an "upscale" second hand store and finding a shirt for 10-12 bucks. Too much because I'm very cheap; then I went to goodwill and found the same exact shirt for 3 bucks. Yes.

    Yellow autumn leaves.

    When everyone in biology class puts their arms on each others shoulders so we're standing in a half-group-hug while the teacher grinds up split peas.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Awkward? My niece telling me "Yes, Momma," even though she knows I'm not her Mom. Awesome? Spending time with my sister-in-law and two of my nieces - and my brother when he's home from work!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Oh....you want to rip the guts out of our chickens for us, while you're at it? ;)

    B

    ReplyDelete
  26. First of all, your outfit is adorable. =) And secondly, I love your awkward/awesome posts. They brighten my day. :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. I've always grown up wearing skirts and I was beginning to get into a "rut"...UNTIL I saw your blog. I'm SO inspired, I think I might start doing some outfit posts on my blog. :-) Thanks so much and keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  28. I love your dress, and boots!

    Haley

    ReplyDelete
  29. I love Shawn Spencer (AKA Psych...) :D So great!!

    ReplyDelete

Fresh Modesty is fashion blog which encourages girls to "Dress outside your box, but inside His Book!" I allow anonymous comments so those without accounts can comment, but I would really appreciate it if you would identify yourself by some form of a name. :) Thank you for taking the time to comment!