Sunday, October 21, 2012

Stripeded

Hey y'all! Hope you've had a fabulous weekend! I sho have.

 This morning's sermon was from 2nd Chronicles 20:1-30 where Johoshophat the king took delight in the Lord and his reign was established. The main points were that when we seek God first, He will bless us. Service to God is the priority, and we must not put anything above the worship of Him. God does not support our idolatry.

In an afternoon lecture, our pastor told the story of the unusual courtship of Ann Hasseltine Judson. In 1810, she met a guy named Adoniram and a week or two later, her father received the following letter from him requesting Ann's hand in marriage:

"I have now to ask whether you can consent to part with your daughter early next spring, to see her no more in this world? Whether you can consent to see her departure to a heathen land, and her subjection to the hardships and sufferings of a missionary life? Whether you can consent to her exposure to the dangers of the ocean; to the fatal influence of the southern climate of India; to every kind of want and distress; to degradation, insult, persecution, and perhaps a violent death? Can you consent to all this, for the sake of perishing immortal souls; for the sake of Zion and the glory of God? Can you consent to all this, in hope of soon meeting your daughter in the world of glory, with a crown of righteousness brightened by the acclamations of praise which shall redound to her Saviour from heathens saved, through her means, from eternal woe and despair?"

He was an amazing man, who knew that serving God was more important than protecting his daughter from hardships. He had instilled this desire to serve the Lord in her, and left the decision up to her. This was her reaction in a letter to a friend:

“I feel willing and expect, if nothing in providence prevents, to spend my days in this world in heathen lands. Yes, Lydia, I have about come to the determination to give up all my comforts and enjoyments here, sacrifice my affection to relatives and friends, and go where God, in his providence, shall see fit to place me. My determinations are not hasty, or formed without viewing the dangers, trials, and hardships attendant on a missionary life. . . . Now my mind is settled and composed, and is willing to leave the event with God.”
If you'd like to read an encouraging fuller story, I found this synopsis on a Christian blog with some googling just now. I've heard the story before, but I get goosebumps every time. May I have that kind of faith and love for Christ. Makes saying, "God bless your day" to the cashier (out of my comfort zone, hard to actually get out) seem like marshmallow fluff.

Also today I enjoyed a peaceful walk in the woods, conversations of varying depths and subjects (most embarrassing moments to how to check for pulse to worldview to legality of drugs to stories about CSLewis), a truck-bed-ride to look at leaves, a perfect bonfire, and a read-aloud session from Angels in the Architecture by Douglas Jones about agrarianism/ the country life vs city life. Absolutely delightful day. Lots to ponder.
Shirt and Tank: JCP
Skirt: Made by me
Boots: Shoe Carnival
Hat: Target
Belt: Gift/thrift store

I'm tuckered out. How's your weekend been? What do you think of Ann and her example? Blessings on your week!

Pin It


15 comments :

  1. Nice message. I received something similar to this today's service, clearly God wants our WHOLE heart.
    www.stilldeeper.blogspot.com.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the Adoniram Judson biography "To the Golden Shore," by Courtney Anderson.

    Cute outfit! Don't you just love fall clothes :) *happy sigh*

    ReplyDelete
  3. nice outift...i admire ann judson a whole lot too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love thoses stripes ! I also really like the length of your skirt (I made 2 myself, and I'm looking forward to fall break for making a few more !)
    My weekend was not so much fun, I was sick and spend my friday night and saturday in bed...Instead of celebrating my birthday with some friends ! But thankfully on sunday afternoon we had a special meeting at my church to recognize and present the ministry of a new chaplain in prison (he's a young man from my church) which was a good reminder to love those who are in those closed places and show them what Christ did to set them free !
    Have a great week !

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cute outfit and fun story! That'd be a hard decision to make, you can tell her faith was super strong.
    Your comment of it being out of your comfort zone to say God bless your day to a cashier made me think of when I visited the central states and was told God bless you by everyone I had any interaction with. It was new and strange, having grown up in California, and I LOVED it. But I too struggle telling anyone the same, so not my comfort zone either!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've been reading your blog for some time now, but don't think I've commented!

    I just wanted to say "hi" from a reader, and I do love this outfit!

    I am also a fashion blogger so I enjoy seeing others creations. :)

    If you want to check out my blog, you can do so at: www.simplemodestfashion.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. The Judson's have always been one of my favorite missionary couples to read about. Though I like reading about Adoniram more than Ann. I'm actually reading a book about Ann right now. It's called My Heart in His Hands. Its definitely not an easy read, but full of so much information!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The belt is my favorite part:D

    -Miriam

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ooh! Me like yo outfit girl!
    Stripes, belts, hats and boots. All my absolute favorite!

    Did you cut your hair?

    ~Lexi23....I was to lazy to sign in before commenting.;p

    ReplyDelete
  10. The belt is so cute...it adds so much!Did you use a pattern for that skirt?
    Also, I was looking back at some of your previous posts and was wondering if you could tell me if you used a pattern for that blue gingham top you made a while back, if so what is the pattern number?

    ReplyDelete
  11. I like your outfit!
    I'm still young so I go to Sunday school instead of staying in the sermon. We are discussing worship in our Bible study/lesson. There were a lot of references to John 4:23-24 (But the time is coming, and now is, when true worshippers will worship the Father in spirit and in truth.)

    Fun belt!

    ~Keri

    ReplyDelete
  12. The sun makes your hair look tinted! I thought you died it. LoL Beautiful outfit, great comments. :)

    B

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love your shirt! Maybe that is just because stripes suit me.... :-)
    Is it raspberry colored?

    S

    ReplyDelete

Fresh Modesty is fashion blog which encourages girls to "Dress outside your box, but inside His Book!" I allow anonymous comments so those without accounts can comment, but I would really appreciate it if you would identify yourself by some form of a name. :) Thank you for taking the time to comment!