Monday, October 1, 2012

Vintage Flair + A Feast

Howdy! No matter how terrible Monday mornings are, the fun I've had on Sunday is always worth it. :) Today is no exception, but I'm jumping ahead of myself.

 Went with a little bit of an old flair for my outfit yesterday-- heels with that "look" and a scarf tied vintage style for the service.

 (I look like a marshmellow man. please ignore that.) 

 Shirt: Kohl's last December
Skirt: Gift
Shoes: Walmart a loooong time ago
Scarf: Thrift store

 This outfit was the perfect amount of clothing for the weather yesterday. I love long sleeves.

After watching the last installment of Paul Tripp's "What Did You Expect" marriage video, 13 of us young people headed to prepare 6-course French meal for 24 guests. Have any of you seen the foreign movie, "Babette's Feast"? It's about this French chef named Babette who has to flea France and ends up working for these two pastor's daughters in a very small village. I won't spoil the movie, but she prepares a feast for 12 of the parishioners that opens their eyes to beauty, forgiveness, and love. It's a powerful story, full of symbolism of the feast that Christ offers us.

So, we wanted to recreate the meal that she prepared and try to give that experience to our guests. The food included "Turtle" soup (never did find any. :P), Blini de Demidoff (buckwheat pancakes with sour cream and caviar), chicken brushed with white truffle oil and stuffed with fontina cheese and figs in a puff pastry with the most amazing beef demiglos sauce, walnut salad, fruits and cheeses, and rum cake with sauce and Chantilly cream. We used china and silver, had servers, garnishes, a gorgeous tablescape, and a gentle rain which added to the atmosphere, and all us young folks matched in black and white, just as a finishing touch. The meal lasted about 2.5 hours.

Kitchen Crew

 So grateful to God for allowing everything to fall into place, way better than we could have imagined. Quite a bit of preparation went into the event, but it was so worth it. Still basking in the goodness and beauty we experienced, even as part of the kitchen crew. It was picturesque, and it makes me long for the continual feasting we will have with our Savior in heaven!

My dear sister, who washed a ridiculous amount of dishes. Hope y'all had a fantastic Lord's Day this week as well! Have you ever eaten/cooked/ or observed a multiple course french meal before? It was all new to us!

Pin It


23 comments :

  1. LOVED this outfit! The colors were just perfect, and your hair was super cute :D
    And despite the hair differences, I think you and your sister look a lot alike :)

    ~Molly~
    mollyslittlecorner.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahaha of course I can answer YES to your question ! And yes, that's not fair, but i love cooking and I love my country's food !
    I really like your outfit ! The skirt puts it together, with the scarf (I'm so glad to see we have the same convictions concerning head-covering - I noticed it a few weeks before but forget to talk about it in my comment !) And the shoes...so cute !
    Have a great week !
    xox

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, as I was typing out the question I thought, "I"m sure Marie has!" :D Thanks!

      Delete
  3. Can't say that I have, but it sounds like the French meal was a big success. ;) The fig stuff sure looks pretty tasty. :9

    Lovely outfit btw!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your outfit is adorable! our weather is still a bit too fickle for long sleeves, but I am definitely getting ready to start pulling them out!

    Ohhh, so that's what you wanted the turtle for! The food looks and sounds amazing. I don't think I've ever even had a multiple course meal, though I've always wanted to try one at one of those fancy restaurants or something. But now I think it might be just as fun to get a group of people together and make one, like you did!

    ~Vicki
    deckedoutinruffles.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cute outfit! I've never eaten or cooked a multiple course french meal!
    Love, Katie

    ReplyDelete
  6. your outfits is so grogeous olivia! you dress with so much style, i just love it! :)
    and that feast thing sounds awesome as, what a great opportunity you had! i actually made a big feast for my family for lunch on sunday too...it was fun!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! Quite the meal, or rather feast. ;) It must of taken a long time to prepare it, from your description of the dishes served!
    Yur outfit is darling, and I like the vintage flair you added to it! The colors are absolutely gorgeous!

    Charlotte
    boyerfamilysingers.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh wow, what fun!
    At our Church we often have shared lunches (aka. feasts), and we, young people have so much fun washing and drying the dishes after!
    I wrote a post on my blog about that yesterday! the link is below ;-)

    http://shiningarrows.nzbee.com/?p=356

    God Bless
    S

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a wonderful idea of service--I'm going to have to look into that movie. Who did you invite to enjoy your meal? Was it everyone's parents? The menu sounds scrumptious!

    I've enjoyed a many-course meal at a cafe in Paris one wintry, snowy day. It was delicious--and it took even longer than 2.5 hours! They sure do savor their food! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We opened up the invitation to the whole church, children included, but they needed to be able to sit and behave like an adult, so we only had 5 or so. :) The rest were couples, mostly our parents. :)

      That Paris meal sounds wonderful! I've been to Paris, and really regret not trying more foods. :)

      Delete
  10. Really love those shoes!!! And I love the colors together.

    Kianna Rose

    ReplyDelete
  11. Olivia why do you wear a head covering for church? I have seen you post at least once about wearing one and I was just curious. I am a Baptist and we don't wear head coverings for church. However your french meal sounded wonderful! I have never eaten french food for before except a Beignet in New Orleans.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was convicted by the Scripture in 1 Corinthians 11 that I, as a woman under authority, should outwardly represent that with a headcovering during public worship. :)

      Delete
  12. Awesome! Our friends made a French style luncheon on the lawn for us last month. It was quite the feast too! =) Love your outfit. ~Hannah

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lovely outfit! Looks warm,comfy and modest, and yet is still very flattering.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Olivia, I'm not sure how many times (or if ever) I've commented here, but I just wanted to let you know that I LOVE your blog. It's one of my favorites. =) Bless you for promoting stylish modesty!

    In His Love,
    Annie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your encouraging words! Blessings!

      Delete
  15. Soooo, I believe that you had mentioned on your blog that your birthday is sometime in October, not sure when... but I just wanted to say Happy Birthday, whether it be early or late! God bless you and thank you for inspiring so many people with your blog!

    ~Maria

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, haha, thanks! My birthday's the 19th. :) Blessings!

      Delete
  16. Just found your blog! LOVE it!
    I love your passion for modest dress.
    I also wrote a post on modesty too!
    Maybe you would like to check it out!

    http://diaryofabrwneyedgirl.blogspot.com/2012/09/why-i-dress-modestly.html

    New follower for sure. Follow me back?

    ReplyDelete

Fresh Modesty is fashion blog which encourages girls to "Dress outside your box, but inside His Book!" I allow anonymous comments so those without accounts can comment, but I would really appreciate it if you would identify yourself by some form of a name. :) Thank you for taking the time to comment!