Thursday, November 8, 2012

Pony

Hey y'all! Hope your week has been wonderful! Mine sure has. Today I wore an outfit that carried me from brunch with friends to chores to an evening meeting. The denim skirt is classy and practical, and the sweater lends a sophistication but casual warmth. Why did I chose these round earrings? They are sparkly, but classic; fun, but defined. I decided to wear my hair up with a flower until I had time to straighten my hair later in the day (dried in a pony tail. ew.), and my shoes were a happy mix of casual, clean, comfortable, and cute. :)
Awkward:
  • Finding "snow" all over the truck... courtesy of your siblings who had scraped paint off the ceiling of our carport and let it get inside the vehicle. Had to use a paint brush to sweep out your seat... and try not to inhale the super fine dust when it flew out of the windshield cracks and in the window. :P
  • Finally being able to toss a hale bay. I mean a bale of hay. I say it wrong almost every time. :P 
  • Your right leg being so incredibly sore from climbing over fence posts every 10 minutes for 6 hours, with running long distances uphill several times in there as well. 
  • Before being able to drive off, having to remove a sword and shield from the roof of the car. My siblings play in weird places.
  • Lighting a propane burner to do applesauce and singeing the hairs off two of your fingers.  
  • Growing up. 
  • The sweater from this post + feeding cows = hay ghillie suit.
  • Having to explain to your 14 year old sister that the engine is in the front of the car. O.o
  • Resurrecting a laptop that, until its screen was cracked, was the best computer in the house, and just 2.5 years later can't even load facebook because it's so outdated and slow. 
  • Sister asking what the jug of pink liquid on display at Save a Lot was. It was not labeled except with the ingredients, all of which were chemicals and sugar. Telling her it was poison, and she totally believed you. It was so gross looking. 
  • Arriving at the park with your siblings and sitting in the car for a minute until you figure out if the guy hanging from the top of the slide was drunk or not. Thankfully not.
  • Having a conversation with someone and their eye keeps going off of your face and to your hair... where you discover hay looking very much like dandruff several hours later.

Awesome:
  • One of my closest friends getting engaged! They totally skipped the awkward courtship/dating portion and were able to go straight to engagement. That's the way to do it, folks. This is THE most awesome thing to happen... possibly ever in the history of these posts. :) So happy for them! "Practically perfect in every way..."
  • Dehydrated apple slices. 
  • Getting to vote again! I voted for a local election just weeks after I turned 18 two years ago, so I knew the process, but its cool every time. 
  • Taking my siblings to vote with us. They were told to get in the car cause we were voting for a new president, and upon returning home, they were disappointed we didn't go "boating for new presents." :P
  • The Botkin's webinars are just. so. good. My favorite quote from two weeks ago talking about clothing styles and making sure the styles are consistent. "We should be diverse, but not multi-minded." Essentially, we should seek for a coherent look. Punk spiked necklace with a a white church dress is not diversity or "expressing myself". It's two totally separate styles that together send a signal of confusion.
  • Being able to just get together and have brunch with friends on a weekday. Because.
  • Journaling. I wish I had been more consistent in prior years, but I'm really enjoying lately. Even re-reading entries from last week I realized how narrow my focus can be sometimes that I forget God's goodness in the very near past!
  • My hand healing! Ive still got a significant red mark/ healing scar, but I have full range of motion and pain only rarely. :) 
  • Spending an evening at the Botkins listening to Dr. Paul Raymond, an influential pastor in his town, talk about how to bring the Word of God to bear on those around you, specifically those in political positions in your area. Very encouraging, very inspiring. :) 

Sweater: Walmart
Skirt: Made by me
Shoes: Payless 
Flower: floral department :)
Earrings: Payless about a decade ago. :P

Have a great day! Do you journal? Why or why not?

Pin It


28 comments :

  1. I have tried to journal in the past... But I never seem to be able to keep it up daily! Oh well.
    I'm writing a novel at the moment, so I'm much too busy. :D

    S

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. “I have advice for people who want to write. I don't care whether they're 5 or 500. There are three things that are important: First, if you want to write, you need to keep an honest, unpublishable journal that nobody reads, nobody but you. Where you just put down what you think about life, what you think about things, what you think is fair and what you think is unfair. And second, you need to read. You can't be a writer if you're not a reader. It's the great writers who teach us how to write. The third thing is to write. Just write a little bit every day. Even if it's for only half an hour — write, write, write.”
      ― Madeleine L'Engle

      Delete
  2. I really love your outfit! It totally looks like something I would wear ! I bet you have a thing for stripes, recently !!! But this sweater is really cute !
    I journal for long years until about one year ago and I love taking my old notebooks and reading through them : my life had been so changed by God's grace in the past 5 years !!! But for no reasons, I stopped last fall. I do have a notebook I use every morning for Bible time but it's basically only for spiritual things. But lately I've been thinking of journaling again, so I think I might give it a try !
    Thanks for sharing your akward and awesome every week ! I laughed so hard at the "Before being able to drive off, having to remove a sword and shield from the roof of the car"...And totally agree for engagement without the weird period of dating/courtship !
    God bless !
    xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  3. So how did they get engaged without any dating or courtship?!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your hair. I don't wear it in a high ponytail very often either but it always makes one look to fresh and happy! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely outfit!
    I used to journal quite a lot but haven't done it consistently since I was in university. I should really start up again, especially since I've never thought of it as being a way to see and remember how God is shaping my life through reading past entries!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I definitely journal, I love to go back and read about my life, there are so many details that I forget. I'm not a "feelings" writer though. I never write down what I feel about someone or something other than in very general terms that I could share with anyone. I just don't think other people need to know that stuff after I'm dead. Because if I wrote about a person I despised and then I died the next day and my family read about it I wouldn't like that.
    But I do keep a prayer journal. Requests that I have. It is mind boggling to me to read it over again, the way God answers prayers is amazing. I commonly forget them if I don't write them down.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean about not journaling about feelings. I do that big time and I've got some big ones -- I have begged my sisters, if something happens to me to please burn my journals before anyone gets hold of them! lol

      Delete
  7. Ha ha....Your awkwards always make me laugh. :)
    I don't journal, cause it takes way too long....Seriously, it takes me forever to journal anything, and my entries are usually many pages long.
    Awkward: Belting out a favorite part of a song at the cleaners drive through (it was literally "Woah woah woooooaaaahhhhhhhh), and then the cleaner guy hears you........
    Awesome: Your little siblings buying chocolate from you and supporting your efforts to raise money for your choir, but when the chocolate comes, they give me some. :) (of the chocolate they bought from me......it's kinda weird actually)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hehe....girl you do have a time;)

    Having a GIVEAWAY....http://www.sewscissorhappy.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my goodness. This is the first time I've ever commented on one of your posts! I've been following your blog for months now, and you even inspired me to start my own blog! :/ I'm a slacker, hahahah! Anyways, I totally get the whole sweater and hay thing. I have a horse and a goat, and every time I go to throw out hay, oh my goodness. I look like I just jumped in the hay, as opposed to actually picking some up. :))
    ~~~Kalin from http://modestyismypolicy.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  10. Gorgeous outfit today! I love the light grey + white with the denim! Utterly adorable- especially with the flower! <3
    Aren't the Botkin Ladies' webinars just awesome?? Every time we learn something new, insightful, and encouraging. Such a wonderful blessing and reference to me and my mom and sisters!

    -Charlotte
    boyerfamilysingers.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. I journal occasionally, mostly to help me remember experiences and thought processes to look back on. I don't do it as much as I would like, but that's something to work on!
    I have always loved your Awkward and Awesome posts, so I started doing it on my blog! (You really have a thing here.) :) I enjoy reading your writing and very often find myself laughing hysterically!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lovely outfit! Love your hairstyle it looks so cute and fun. I try to journal, but I usually forget, lately I've been writing somewhat consistent. Olivia I was following your Instagram account and was blocked. I don't know if it was by mistake or intentional. I understand either way, just wanted to clear that up:)

    Ali

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Ali! Sorry about the Instagram thing. I had to decide to make it private and only for people I know in person. I didn't know how else to have folks no longer receive my posts than to block them. Does it say "blocked"? I've always been curious about that... I don't mean to be rude! I just didn't realize I needed to make it private when I first set it up. Hope you understand!

      Delete
  13. From friends to engagement certainly does sound like bliss! I think you should be friends first anyway, and then if you already know each other-what is the need for courtship/dating?

    ReplyDelete
  14. You look so cute in a ponytail! And I love the sweater :)

    ~Molly~
    mollyslittlecorner.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. The sweater is darling on you! I've always liked gray striped sweaters. :) I've been writing in my journal more frequently lately too. Its always fun to look back over the years and remember things that happened.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I keep a prayer journal. I have since 12/26/11, and it has strengthened my walk with Jesus so much. I highly recommend it!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Cute outfit. And to your question... I journal often, usually several times a week, although sometimes I do fall behind. I journal because writing is really a form of release for me. And because I want to have a record of my perspective on life that I can look back on later. =)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Cute outfit, casual, yet lovely just the same!
    Yes, I do keep a prayer journal! Just started last year sometime! It's great for me, because sometimes I'll be praying and I just can't seem to focus, no matter how hard I try! Journaling helps me collect my thoughts and really focus on praying, instead of thinking about a million things at once (something we girls do wayyyy too much!LOL!)
    Natasha
    A Modest Fashion Blog:
    www.natashaatkerson.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. Yes I do journal... although the older I get the harder it seems to get!:) I enjoy looking back and being able to see the things that God has done or changed in my life, sometimes realizing some pretty awesome stuff that He has done that I wouldn't have realized. It's also encouraging to see how my spelling and hand writing improves.;) Thanks for sharing about your friend! That is sooo awesome! Very encouraging to hear it done the right way!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Those colors look especially lovely on you, Olivia! And I totally agree about friends getting engaged/starting relationships... so exciting!

    P.S. I'm pumped for your denim skirt ebook, by the way. Cannot wait!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Lovely outfit, you are gorgeous as always! :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi Olivia,

    Yes, I do journal. I have been since I was thirteen. I don't write every day, but I tend to write at least once a month. I love writing for myself!

    -Taylor C.

    By the way, I love your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Your outfit is lovely. I love how you did your hair and your flower is the " frosting on the cake." :) Though, I don't do it every day, I do journal because I enjoy writing. As with all the other ladies, I find myself so grateful, amazed, and awed looking back on what God has done in my life and the lives of others. That is wonderful news about the engagement! I truly enjoy your blog and I just want you to know it has been a blessing reading your posts. ~Lauren :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. ha! Ok this is too funny! I was reading this for the second time not meaning to and I came apon something that looked familiar in the awkward section... I was like... hmm thats weird... until I saw something else that looked familiar and realized... oh... wait a sec... :D I've already read this.... duh... :D

    ReplyDelete
  25. I love journaling! I don't write every day, and I've finally realized that it's ok to only write when I feel like it. More like, when I need to! It's a great way of spilling out and expressing my feelings, so helpful when you have things you can't tell anyone else. Once I take my journal out and a pen, I usually go on for quite a few pages. I love looking back also. I've started making a list in the front of each new journal I start of things I'm hoping and praying will happen in the future. So amazing to see that God really does answer prayer. I also like to write daily when I'm on a vacation, at least to list where I went and what I did. I forgot this summer, and really regret it now!

    ReplyDelete

Fresh Modesty is fashion blog which encourages girls to "Dress outside your box, but inside His Book!" I allow anonymous comments so those without accounts can comment, but I would really appreciate it if you would identify yourself by some form of a name. :) Thank you for taking the time to comment!