Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Burgundy Cardigan + Personal Questions

Hey y'all! Wow, what an overwhelmingly encouraging response to my last post. I was not expecting/requesting that, and y'all are so, so sweet. It's pretty awesome to hear how God is using this blog in your lives. Thank you for taking the time to comment. 


It's been suuuuper nasty weather outside (try flooding, an ice storm, and muuuuddy) so I had to do indoor night pictures. Thankfully our house has pretty nice lighting. :) This outfit is so comfortable.
Cardigan: Thrift Store, $1
Tank: Target, $6
Skirt: Thrift Store, $3
Belt: Came on my maxi dress
Earrings: Walmart


So, thought I'd go ahead and get started on the questions y'all have been submitting. Feel free to continue to do so. I've gotten over 100 already, so it may take us a while to go through. ;) Some are funny, some serious, some strange, some brilliant. :D I've categorized them (Clothing, Personal, Theory, Relationships, History, Headcoverings, etc) so it's a little easier to follow along. And you can better choose to read the answers you want to and not the ones that don't interest you. ;)



What are your fav. blogs? I think you already answered this but with time your taste may change right? 
Yes, tastes certainly do change! And unfortunately so do schedules. :-/ I used to follow 100 blogs and keep up reading them all. Not anymore! Besides the personal blogs of close friends, I only read two blogs nowadays; Bramblewood Fashion and What I Wear, What I Do, and Why I Did It. {ETA: I totally forgot to include it since I get her posts delivered to my inbox, but I religiously read Creations By Callie, too. :)}

What is your favorite thing to do with your best friends?
It's awesome to just hang out (especially if it includes Starbucks or a movie on the couch), but I also love working on projects together. Whether it's late-night embroidery, 6-course French meals, fencing, pranking, photographing, chili for 200, or haying, it's always so much fun to spend time with friends. :) 

What are your thoughts on being the oldest "child" in your family?
Well, it's a huge part of who I am. It's quite a responsibility to set a good example (and I for sure haven't done that), to be in charge often, and to be the "test" child that your parents mess up raising. ;) I think it's made me comfortable being a leader, and I'm thankful for my position. :) I love being the oldest and getting to love on all my younger siblings.

Do you play any instruments? 

I've been playing piano for about four years, but not consistently. I'm really trying to learn to play well now, but it's slow-going. :-/

When do you have your daily devotional time?

Admittedly, I am pretty terrible at being consistent. I prefer to read in the mornings before getting out of bed, but I often fall back asleep and have to read later. We have family worship nearly every morning at breakfast, and that helps the day get off to a good start. :) 

What are the best things about living in Tennessee?
Well, in my part of TN, the best things in no particular order include the weather, the land prices, the happy union of country/city, the availability of fresh organic food, the nice southerners, the abundance of water and greenery, and the awesome eclectic mix of things to do/see, people to meet, and places to shop. My sister says the best part of this state is getting the "Tennessee" magazine that comes from our electric company every month. ;) 

Do you have a job plan for the future (until marriage) or are you going to stay and help at home until then?

No plans to get a job- I believe the best place for me is helping at home and I stay busy running Fresh Modesty. 

Do you do continuing study at home?

Well, if you mean college classes, no. I do google things all the time and read books on what I would like to learn, though, like herbalism or sewing. 

What activities do you like to do with your siblings?
My two closest sisters and I don't really do any "activities" per say, since we're usually working on projects. But, Willa and I love to do photography/videography together; Emma and I clean our closet in our spare time. In the summer, I love taking my little siblings to the creek and I'll play with them occasionally all year long.

Are you super educated in HTML? If so, When and How did you Learn it?
No, I'm not. I can do the simplest things like changing font size and color, or modifying spacing, but I can't create websites from scratch or anything. I've been dabbling in it since I was 15 or so.  I just google to figure stuff out. :) 

Do you like any other crafts besides sewing?
Um, I enjoy other things like card and jewelry making when I have the chance, but I don't do them much. I don't crochet or knit or anything like that. 

Do you like reading and what are your favorite authors?

No, I don't really enjoy reading. I know, shocking for a homeschooler. ;) So, I haven't really read more than one work by an author in order to call them a favorite. 

I know people have asked about this before, but I'd be interested to read more about the curricula you've used, etc.
Well, I tried many different things through the years of homeschooling, but my favorites in highschool were Apologia Science, Dr. George Grant's humanities/moral philosophy curriculum (should be a *must* for every Christian), Teaching Textbooks math, Biblical Economics, and The Institute for Excellence in Writing programs. 


Bible--Do you read on a set schedule?
Our church has a lectionary (aka reading schedule) for the members to follow each day so we can all kind of be studying the same things and have discussions about the passages. That has an Old Testament chapter, a Psalm, and a New Testament portion to read.

How many children are in your family? Can you post more pictures of them?
I am the oldest of 6 siblings. I'm 20, my sister Emma is 16, my sister Willa is 14, my first brother is 7, my littlest sister is 5, and the sweet family baby boy is 3. As far as pictures go, although I love my siblings to death, featuring photos of them (unless it's to show their outfits) here does not quite fit the purpose of this blog. I might occasionally include one on a post (like this one) when it fits, but I try to keep the personal stuff to a minimum. :) 

Do you and your sisters share clothes?
Yes! I answered a little bit about how this works in this post

Do you have any older brothers? What is life like (with/without) them?
No, I don't have any older brothers- my brothers are 12 and 17 years younger than me.  This has had it's pros and cons. A pro being that I've gotten to be my Dad's right hand man and do the "guy" projects with him like remodeling, building, car work, heavy lifting, and other super enjoyable stuff, since he didn't have a son to help. The major con of not having a brother has been that I really didn't spend time very often with guys until we moved to TN three years ago, because I didn't even have friends who had close brothers. The challenge of learning to interact with guys my age while approaching marriageable age has definitely had it's difficulties, and I'm still working on it. I know God made our family just how He wished. :) 

Which Jane Austen character are you? :D http://www.strangegirl.com/emma/quiz.php
"You are Emma Woodhouse of Emma! You like being the queen of your social circle (small and provincial as it may be), and feel it's your duty to help those less influential than you. You often meddle in the affairs of others, though you do it with a pure heart. You are often deluded in your flights of fancy, but your good intentions and creative spirit make you someone anyone could like." Hmmm... A bit of this is accurate. I'm not exactly social queen though. ;) 

This is completely unrelated to fashion or clothes, but I was wondering if you have watched North and South (BBC tv mini series)? Also, if any, what BBC tv mini series' have you watched?
Yes, love North and South! I'm not sure if these are all technically BBC tv mini series, but I've seen the 1995 Pride and Prejudice,  2008 Sense and Sensibility, 1999 Wives and Daughters, Emma, Cranford, Lark Rise to Candleford, and Downton Abbey. Love them all, but especially those last three. :) 

Do you believe in the rapture?
No, I'm a postmillennialist. I wrote a little bit about how that affects how I dress here.

Who takes all of your outfit pictures here on the blog?
My amazing sister Willa. She sacrifices a lot of comfort at strange times to photograph me twirling. I used to think it was simple for anyone to just focus and snap an outfit picture, but she does a really good job. I don't really like for anyone else to do it for me now. :P 

Do you personally know the Botkin family?
Yes, we're blessed to know them. 

What are some of your favorite books to read? Fiction, non-fiction, Christian, historical, biographical- anything!
Well, as I said, I'm not a huge reader. My favorite type of books though, are the encouraging ones. Uncompromising, It's Not That ComplicatedStepping Heavenward, and Loving the Little Years (yes, encouraging for me as I deal with little siblings!) are the ones I can think of off the top of my head.

What denomination are you? 
Our church is part of the Covenant Presbyterian Church denomination. :)

Whew! Think we covered enough ground today? This was just the "personal" questions (excluding the "What's your favorite....?" type which I'll get to later). Thanks y'all for submitting! If you haven't yet, here's the form.

So, feel free to answer some of these questions for yourself in the comments!


Pin It


22 comments :

  1. I love kids and would love if you did an occasional picture of your siblings! I don't think pictures of cute kids, who are so precious in the Lord's eyes, would be out of place on your blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not that it matters much anyway but I agree with Chrissy88!!!


      🍦Rebekah😛

      Delete
  2. "Postmillennialism has an optimistic view of humanity and its ability to create a peaceful society. Technology and the call to the better angels of our nature will create a world worthy of having Christ as King. This belief is both a draw and a danger. Humanism is a seductive philosophy because it is so optimistic; we want to believe we can do better. But no man-made institution can lead the entire world into a period of peace, no matter how influenced by Christ. Following the Bible, championing social causes, and influencing politics can be expressions of Christ's influence on us, but they cannot create a world so peaceful it is worthy of a gift to God.

    A literal interpretation of the Bible makes no false promises that mankind can save itself. Instead, it consistently tells us how dependent we are on God for every good thing (James 1:17). End times prophecy continually explains how wicked the world will grow (2 Timothy 3:1-7; 2 Peter 3:3-7). The time before Christ's arrival will be one of curses (Revelation 6–16) and war (Revelation 17:14), not peace. And Revelation 19:11-21 makes it clear that it is the power of Jesus that will bring in His own kingdom, not the works of the church."

    Source: http://www.compellingtruth.org/postmillennialism.html

    Not trying to start an argument or come across as one who knows it all. Just trying to encourage you in Truth.
    Blessings,
    A.F.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the thoughts. Just wanted to clarify though-- I certainly don't believe that we can create a better world by ourselves. I believe in Postmil not because I think we need to work to have Christ as our King, but rather, because I believe He is *already reigning*. We don't have to earn His kingship-- He already paid the price for us. From study, I hold that the verses in Revelation that talk about the curses and war are referring to the judgement of Israel that already occurred in 70 AD.

      ...so much to unpack. Not arguing, just really quickly clarifying a little more. Blessings!

      Delete
    2. Thanks for clarifying! I hadn't heard of postmil before, so I decided to do some research. I just thought I'd share this to start a friendly debate of sorts, and like I said before, to encourage in Truth. It's certainly something to ponder! :) Blessings to you!
      A.F.

      Delete
  3. I love that outfit !
    Thank you so much for taking the time to answer all of this questions. It's neat to read it and get to know you better...And I've ordered on Amazon.fr "Uncomprising" (in english, since I only read books in english ;-)) and I'm looking forward discovering the other answers !!!
    Blessings

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the cardigan!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this outfit! It gave me an idea for pairing a burgundy sweater and green skirt I already own together. I never would have thought of that color combination before. Thanks for the idea Olivia!

    God bless,
    Rebecca

    ReplyDelete
  6. Olivia!
    How on earth do you find such good deals? :) These days, even Goodwill is getting more expensive. At my thrift store you're lucky to get a shirt for $5. Where do you find $1 and $3 outfits/separates?
    I guess I'm just jealous because you look so adorable for such an insanely low price. :D

    Alicia Joy
    ajoyworthhaving.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! I got the skirt at Goodwill on half-price day, and the cardigan at a local charity store on dollar day. :) Checking for those sales-even at thrift stores- helps a lot! :)
      Blessings!

      Delete
    2. Alicia,
      I've also found that shirts in the "off season" are usually priced cheaper! So short sleeves where I live are $1.99 currently (since it's Winter). Thought that might help!
      Natasha
      A Modest Fashion Blog:
      www.natashaatkerson.blogspot.com

      Delete
  7. Great questions - loved reading. Stepping Heavenward is a really good book! And love the cardigan.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the outfit, especially the cardigan! The whole outfit looks so comfy!
    Love, Katie

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm so flattered that mine is one of 2 blogs you read! Ashley's blog is awesome, she has such a great style!

    Oh man, Teaching Text books are AWESOME! I'm not sure I couldn't have gotten through Algebra without "my man" Lol! :)
    Lovely outfit, the cardigan gives it a special color pop! I need to get an outfit post up! I've been sick since Tuesday(Not fun).
    Natasha
    A Modest Fashion Blog:
    www.natashaatkerson.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. I loove this photo with the fireplace & everything! SO cute! ~Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love your outfit! Those colors are just beautiful. I also love Tennessee- I don't live there now, but I was able to spend several months there(Sounds like pretty close to your area!) It's a fascinating state. Hayley Rappuhn

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hey, I originally started off by looking at Mormon modesty blogs (even though I'm Presbyterian lol) and by chance (providence!) googled modest fashion blog and it came up with yours.

    I'm ridiculously excited and encouraged to see that you're not only Presbyterian, but also postmillenialist!

    My family was postmillienial, but since reading books by Dr. Kenneth L. Gentry (he's from Kentucky, have you heard of him?) and Greg Uttinger, we're now partial preterist. Don't ask me exactly what that means, haha, but basically yeah, it's like most of Revelation was fulfilled by the destruction of Jerusalem and the Temple in A.D. 70.

    I really pray that more Christians realise how damaging a pre-millenial viewpoint can be - my uncle's family are totall pre-millenial Baptist and it really shows in their life choices :(

    Um, anyway, tl;dr, I think I will definitely have to keep up with this blog. :)

    PS. I'm Australian, but it's my dream to visit the Creation museum in Kentucky one day. Only reason I'd ever want to go to the US.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Cute outfit, and I enjoyed reading your Q/A's. In answer to a couple of them:

    What is your favorite thing to do with your best friends?
    Play games – any games, really. I think last time I was at a party with them, we played Apples to Apples.

    What are your thoughts on being the oldest "child" in your family?
    I have often wished that I was not the oldest for several reasons. My parents made several mistakes on me, and I’m stuck with several huge responsibilities to keep everyone in order. But when I look back on everything I’ve learned through dealing with the problems and hairballs and everything else, I’m glad I’m the oldest.

    Do you play any instruments?
    You bet! I taught myself the piano at age 5, and violin at age 7. I’m currently the Asst. Concertmaster in the Jackson Symphony Youth Orchestra.

    Do you have a job plan for the future (until marriage) or are you going to stay and help at home until then?
    Yes, I am working a job as the Customer Service Manager for Bulk Natural Foods. I don’t know yet if I will go to college and pursue some kind of career, but I certainly want to play violin professionally when I “grow up.” (Doesn’t that term, “grow up,” sound strange? When do you really grow up?)

    Are you super educated in HTML? If so, When and How did you Learn it?
    No. However, I do know my way around it and I can use it when I have to. I learned from needing to know how; I would Google my questions. Eventually, most of it became quite natural to use.

    Do you like any other crafts besides sewing?
    Yes, I’m an artist.

    Do you like reading and what are your favorite authors?
    Yes, I LOVE reading! Don’t get me started on my favorite books/authors though, because I will literally need an entire page to write about it.

    How many children are in your family?
    5 kids, including myself.

    What are some of your favorite books to read? Fiction, non-fiction, Christian, historical, biographical- anything!
    As I’ve mentioned, it would take me too long to list them all. To name just a couple (if that’s possible), Enemy Brothers, To Rule the Night, How to Win Friends and Influence People, the Laura Wilder series, A Grain of Rice, Mary, Bloody Mary, Small Woman, Cary On, Mr. Bowditch, The Bronze Bow – the list goes on…and on…and on…and it keeps growing...

    ReplyDelete
  14. Cute outfit, and I enjoyed reading your Q/A's. In answer to a couple of them:

    What is your favorite thing to do with your best friends?
    Play games – any games, really. I think last time I was at a party with them, we played Apples to Apples.

    What are your thoughts on being the oldest "child" in your family?
    I have often wished that I was not the oldest for several reasons. My parents made several mistakes on me, and I’m stuck with several huge responsibilities to keep everyone in order. But when I look back on everything I’ve learned through dealing with the problems and hairballs and everything else, I’m glad I’m the oldest.

    Do you play any instruments?
    You bet! I taught myself the piano at age 5, and violin at age 7. I’m currently the Asst. Concertmaster in the Jackson Symphony Youth Orchestra.

    Do you have a job plan for the future (until marriage) or are you going to stay and help at home until then?
    Yes, I am working a job as the Customer Service Manager for Bulk Natural Foods. I don’t know yet if I will go to college and pursue some kind of career, but I certainly want to play violin professionally when I “grow up.” (Doesn’t that term, “grow up,” sound strange? When do you really grow up?)

    Are you super educated in HTML? If so, When and How did you Learn it?
    No. However, I do know my way around it and I can use it when I have to. I learned from needing to know how; I would Google my questions. Eventually, most of it became quite natural to use.

    Do you like any other crafts besides sewing?
    Yes, I’m an artist.

    Do you like reading and what are your favorite authors?
    Yes, I LOVE reading! Don’t get me started on my favorite books/authors though, because I will literally need an entire page to write about it.

    How many children are in your family?
    5 kids, including myself.

    What are some of your favorite books to read? Fiction, non-fiction, Christian, historical, biographical- anything!
    As I’ve mentioned, it would take me too long to list them all. To name just a couple (if that’s possible), Enemy Brothers, To Rule the Night, How to Win Friends and Influence People, the Laura Wilder series, A Grain of Rice, Mary, Bloody Mary, Small Woman, Cary On, Mr. Bowditch, The Bronze Bow – the list goes on…and on…and on…and it keeps growing...

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hey Olivia! I just had a question, I know you make most of your skirts but do you know a good place to but them?
    the ones I've seen are all minis 😠

    🍦Rebekah😛

    ReplyDelete
  16. Lark Rise to Candleford!!!Love that show soooo much! Seriously have seen every episode at least 4 times.

    ReplyDelete

Fresh Modesty is fashion blog which encourages girls to "Dress outside your box, but inside His Book!" I allow anonymous comments so those without accounts can comment, but I would really appreciate it if you would identify yourself by some form of a name. :) Thank you for taking the time to comment!