Monday, January 7, 2013

Just Awesome

It's been a month since I posted, and I have to admit... I really enjoyed not having to think about this blog. Blogging is great, but it does take time and energy, both of which were very sparse this month. I always wonder what bloggers do during their breaks, so I thought I'd do an awkward and awesome to sum up my time away.  Honestly, though, I can't think of any bloggable awkward moments! It really has been a totally awesome month, even among the hardships and sadness. So many emotions, so many friends, so much excitement. I've never had a month quite like it.


(My office for the eBook was sitting on the edge of my bed, my feet in my sister's pj drawer under my bed or through the legs of the ironing board I used as a desk. So profesh.)

So, my awesomes:
  • Getting the Wide Waistband Skirt eBook and website done!! This took the first two weeks of my break. Seriously, 2 Fridays ago I stayed up all but 2 hours of the night working. And the rest of the week was at least 18 hour work days. My family was so awesome to give me that much time and they really supported my efforts. It would not be done without them. 
  • The Lessons and Carols service our church put on. It was so beautiful with strings, brass, woodwind, an ensemble, children's choir, and congregational singing. Great time of fellowship afterwards as well with the guests who attended.
  • Spending time with my family on Christmas. It was great to just forget about getting anything done (although I did work on my dress) and spend forever opening gifts, eating, and napping in front of the fire with my family around. 
  • My dress turning out! My parents were kind enough to let me receive my Christmas gift (a dress form!) early so I would have time to work on it. Can't wait to post it on my sewing blog. 
  • The weird nauseous bug my family got not being worse than it was. I was so worried I was going to miss the wedding. 

  •  The wedding! Such a flurry of emotions and activity! I was so honored to be on the "inside" as back-up photographer and general help. This was kind of a huge deal for me because I've been to less than one-hand's worth of weddings in my life and I so enjoyed experiencing it all. I think the bride was calmer than me, ha. Walmart runs in an unfamiliar town driving an unfamiliar car wearing a fancy dress and heels, while it rained. Getting to hang out with the bride and her family. Checking in on my sister who was mostly in charge of the reception. Talking with out-of-town acquaintances and enjoying the company of old friends. Long car rides with besties. A God-honoring ceremony, crying, and happiness.
 (Sneak peek of the back of my dress. The bride was the third generation to wear this wedding dress!)
  • A pizza party after the wedding! (They made us GF!) It was great to eat a hearty meal (does anyone ever eat before a wedding?) and catch up with visitors. 
  • And, after the pizza party, coming home, putting on a pot of tea, changing into jeans, and having a living room full of friends watch The Tourist with you beside a roaring fire. Eating chocolate and popcorn. The perfect ending to an amazzzzing day. 
  • Taking time to hang with friends when you really don't have it. 
  • The Bride and Groom coming to church before they left for their honeymoon and move far away. Sobbing ensued during goodbye, and continued for me through the day. So thankful for such awesome friendships. 
  
  • And, same day, just in time to cheer me up after our lunch and Taboo playing guests left, my three bestest friends from back home in WV arrived! You know the expression "Life's a Party"? It seriously was. If we weren't dancing around, singing, laughing, sharing stories, or wearing Mexican hats, we were hugging and soaking in every moment. It was a fabulous 4 days. We like photoshoots, since Rachel is the world's most awesome photographer.

 I'm so thankful for friends who are as much my sisters' friends as they are mine.

 Speaking of sisters. 

As I sit here recovering from the flu, which hit me approximately 10 minutes after these girls left on Thursday, I am amazed at God's grace in getting me, and my family, through the last month, and especially the last two weeks. I mean, seriously, Christmas seems like it was two months ago, yet its only been dos weeks.
I thank y'all so much for the major support and encouragement you've been, even during the break. I hope to resume my normal blogging schedule (Posts on Monday, sometimes Thrusday, and Friends of Fresh Modesty Friday) this week, but with this flu and having some more catch up to play, we'll see.

Alright, now, I want to hear how y'allve been this month?

Pin It


25 comments :

  1. That is a whole lotta stuff to do. But its better than doing nothing at all!
    but a long car ride with my besties sounds about perfect to me right now.

    pay me a visit @ www.roothless-xo.blogspot.ca

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! I'm a new follower, and am so happy you're posting again! :)

    xoxo,
    Rachel Nicole

    rachyracheshobbycorner.blogspot.com
    circlescarvesandredlipstick.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. looks like you had a great month! i'm glad you're back :)
    xx | natalia.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome! I really love reading your blog, it is so encouraging!


    ~Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Olivia! It sounds like life has been wonderfully busy and, well- awesome! I hope dearly that you get better soon! The flu has been hitting my family hard as well, although I don't know that it was the same flu as your family had, because no nausea involved (thankfully!). From what I can see your dress looks absolutely gorgeous, and I can not wait for you to post it up on your sewing blog!

    God Bless!

    -Charlotte
    boyerfamilysingers.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Olivia!

    I recently started following your blog and I've kinda fallen in love with it (in a totally non-weird way). ;) I think I spent about two hours on your sewing blog when I came across it and a rather long time on this one as well. You have such a sense of fashion while keeping it modest! Being a girl myself, I don't seem to tire of seeing endless posts of gorgeous outfits! :)

    Anyway, that navy blue dress that you wore on the picture by the wedding dress is GORGEOUS! :D Do you think you could perhaps post pictures of it sometime? Of course, I totally realize you are crazy busy and are just getting over the flu, so don't freak out over it. ;) I just thought I'd ask.

    Love in Christ,
    Emily

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, oops, I just now saw you said you were going to post it on your sewing blog. *blushes* Sorry about that! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Glad to hear from you! Missed you terribly. I haven't been able to stay connected through instagram, either, I think you blocked me (ali_see_ya) Love the bak of the wedding dress. Those buttons oh so lovely! Your purple dress gorgeous. Hope you have a blessed NEW YEAR!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh it's sooo good to read your blog ! I'm glad your break is over, and it makes me appreciate your blogging even more ;-)
    My month hasn't been as crazy as yours, but I had to pass all my final, do a couple concerts with my church's choir, attend Christmas celebration, catch up with a friend from CO I hadn't seen in 2 years (she came in France to visit her sis), spend time with the fam, learn excellent news, sew a little bit and blog...Oh BTW, in my last email I told you about a dress I was making; if you want to see the final result, here's the link : http://lescrapdemarie.blogspot.fr/2013/01/claudette.html
    I'm so excited to discover the front of your dress, considering the back that is gorgeous !
    Have a great day and hope your flu will soon belong to history ;-)
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm so glad to hear you had an awesome month! :)
    My month was good! We got to spend a lot of time together as a family, because my dad always takes the week between Christmas and New Year off form work. :) It was really great! We also went to visit my grandparents for a weekend, which was a lot of fun!
    The flu is definately going around up here. It was kinda creepy how empty the church was this Sunday. I hope you recover quickly!
    God Bless!
    ~Kara B.~
    P.S. The back of your dress is SO pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  11. your dress looks so cute! can't wait to see the rest!

    ♥Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  12. Good to "see" you back! Whenever you feel up to it, I'd love to know your thoughts on a project I'm contemplating. I have a long denim skirt - straight with a slit on each side up the knee. As much as I love it hanging in my closet, I just don't like it on me...and I think it's because it's straight instead of flared out. I'm thinking about opening up the front and back seams to the same height as the side slits and sewing in an offset fabric to make the skirt flare out. I think I'd also need to do some fitting around the hips to get the desired effect. I'm considering a white fabric with some lace - so it would end up being a denim and lace skirt. What do you think? Would it worth it/is it possible? Hope the flu bug is a short one and you're back to feeling better quickly!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi! I wanted to let you know that I'm looking for guest bloggers over at Blue Eyed Beauty Blog for the month of February! If you're interested you can find more details here: http://blueeyedbeautyblogg.blogspot.com/2013/01/guest-bloggers-wanted.html

    Helen
    Blue Eyed Beauty Blog
    Exercise Encouragement Group Blog

    ReplyDelete
  14. I really like your whole blog. But I like most your outfit that is hanging on fan. so sweet.
    http://stylopoint.com/

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your dress looks super cute (as cute as the back of a dress can get...)
    Congratulations on completing your ebook by the way!
    I'm actually glad you took a break for the month! I didn't miss anything that way! LOL! Selfish? Yes...honest...yes. :)
    I don't know about you, but I find myself thinking things like "What? People my age are getting married?! Nuh-uh! They're too young! Oh...wait...I'm nearing 20..." LOL!
    Natasha
    A Modest Fashion Blog:
    www.natashaatkerson.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm SO glad that you are back!
    we attended a wedding (of a cousin) lately as well! I was also one of the reception photographers. :D Don't you just love how similar people's
    circumstances can get?

    We also caught a bad cold/flu just after Christmas... :(

    Sayna

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm glad you're back!! And waiting for new posts on your blogs!

    Naat

    ReplyDelete
  18. Glad you're back!
    Your dress looks really pretty from the back.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm excited to see you dress! It looks beautiful from the back.
    -Lauren @musingsofaflowerchild

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi, it's me Danielle! It looks like you had a lot of fun! The dress is so pretty! Glad your back, I know how trips are, tiring, but FUN!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Glad you're back! I enjoy seeing the projects you find time to work on in the midst of everyday {chaotic} life. Inspiring and motivating definitely. I'm really looking forward to seeing more on the new dress you made! In fact, I think I check your sewing blog before I do this one. ;) Looks like a lot of fun and challenge, which always seems to make for the best sewing projects, agreed?
    Glad you're back, and more so that you enjoyed the break.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I would love to see what the dress looks like on the bride, even if you photoshop the faces out!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Olivia, i love seeing photos of your sisters, they are soo cute. I would love to see a blog where you style them and they style themselves just for fun, why they chose what they are wearing and why you chose what you did.
    I continue to find your blog inspirational. Thankyou for sharing yourself with us an being willing to put yourself out there.
    Caroline mother of 5 :D

    ReplyDelete

Fresh Modesty is fashion blog which encourages girls to "Dress outside your box, but inside His Book!" I allow anonymous comments so those without accounts can comment, but I would really appreciate it if you would identify yourself by some form of a name. :) Thank you for taking the time to comment!