Monday, February 25, 2013

Brown Stripes

Hey y'all! How are you doing today? I'm a weird mix of encouraged, discouraged, tired, joyful, motivated, and unfocused. But I'm excited, because I know that the Lord will work in my life today, just as He works every day, whether I recognize it or not.

I'm still thinking about last Sunday's sermon. The phrase, "I am a new creation" has been my motto all week.  Yesterday's sermon was very good also, but honestly, I was thinking about the previous week's sermon during a lot of this one! :P So encouraging though, because after last week talking about how justly we will be judged, this week covered how Jesus has paid for our transgressions. Wow.

As I showered this morning, a song came on "Point of Grace" radio on Pandora, and a line jumped out at me. I don't know the song, the artist, or even the exact phrase, but it went something along the lines of, "I want the world to see Your sacrifice on my face." I need to act, speak, and look like I've been given real life-- because I have! This is my goal today; smile! On this blog it probably looks like I smile all the time, but I really don't. I can be pretty grumpy, irritated, or just too tired to move my face in day-to-day life. But, that's the old me, right? Through Christ, I am better than that!
My sister Emma has been the most amazing example of this to me. She has seemed to have the joy of Christ in her since she was a tiny baby. Not just the normal, "Oh, she's a happy person" type, but a strength and joy that so obviously comes from her relationship with God. The kind of thing you see and you want that relationship too.

So these are my Monday morning thoughts, as I drink my huge water bottle with lemon and vitamin C. This outfit was a simple one, and I was kind of surprised when I put it together that I hadn't worn it before. Or, if I had, I hadn't blogged it. :P It's just monochromatic browns with oatmeal accents. I wore this scarf on the inspiration of a commenter who asked why I don't wear scarves more. It added the last bit of warmth I needed yesterday and served as a headcovering during church (just wrapped it around my head like the ladies in the 50's when they drove convertibles ;)) without giving me hat hair. Also, although you can't tell from these pictures, it finished my outfit with some much-needed sparkle. :)

Sweater: F21 
Scarf: Bought in Montmartre, France
Skirt: Thrift Store
Boots: Shoe Carnival
Tights: Idk? 
Pearl Earrings: Gift
Pearl bow hair-clip: Charity shop

Alrighty, better get started on lunch. Have an awesome day!





Pin It

32 comments:

  1. I really like today's outfit...the colors, the style and your hair!!

    Iris♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. So cute! Love the background for the pictures, it makes the outfit look so..fresh. :P Hehehe..

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the simplicity of this outfit and I love the hair clip! Half ponytail? I need to smile more too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like this outfit a lot! One of my favorites.
    Aleni

    ReplyDelete
  5. your outfit is soo cute!!! I love the scarf!
    -Hannah

    ReplyDelete
  6. I appreciate your use of stripes... I suit bold prints such as stripes, so you can imagine how much I wear them... :D

    Beautiful outfit!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gorgeous photos, Olivia! The sunlight is stunning! I tried Sunday morning to capture the sun, alas...they only turned out slightly good! :0
    I'm sorry you're not having a good day. It's been a struggle for me lately too, Satan seems to be using emotions a little too freely. Sunday I just felt awful, grouchy and creepy and didn't want to talk to anyone. No explanation....just some days are like that.
    Adorable outfit, what brand is the shirt? I think I might have it, buy I bought mine retail...
    Natasha
    A Modest Fashion Blog:
    www.natashaatkerson.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your outfit! But more importantly, I love how honest you are, you are a huge help with my walk with God. When ever I see you have a new post, I get so excited! I love ya Sister! <3 :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Newest follower here! I found you through the blog hop. You have a super cute blog, I can't wait to read more! You can find me at meandmr.com

    -Melanie @meandmr.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. 2 questions....I'm a new follower of ur blog but I love it! So often skirts are made to look frumpy but u look so cute and feminine. u r such an inspiration! My 1st question is I'm wanting to start implementing more skirts in my wardrobe.how do u suggest I start? #2 do u wear hats at ur church or is that just fashion? Thanks inadvance!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey! Thanks for following. I'd suggest just getting yourself some slimming, easy skirts (knit maxis are GREAT)maybe at the thrift store and then just slowly build your collection!
      Yes, most of the ladies at our church wear headcoverings, per 1 Corinthians 11. :)

      Delete
  11. Really love your outfit! The stripes are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very stylish.

    Victoria

    ReplyDelete
  13. I really love this outfit, Olivia. I've been reading your blog for about a year and as I sit here, I'm wondering why I've never commented..? Anyway, after reading this post I was wondering if you normally wear headcoverings in church? Also do you have any advice to novice sewers? I just began learning :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey! Thanks for commenting finally! Ha. :) I do wear a headcovering during church every week, trying to follow 1 Corinthians 11. :)
      I would highly recommend you frequent sewing blogs. Most of my sewing knowledge has come from googling and reading blogs. Merrick's Art, Sewing in No Mans Land, Ruffles and Stuff, Grosgrain, BurdaStyle, Collete Patterns, and Pinterest are the ones I can remember right now. :)Blessings!

      Delete
  14. Very cute, I actually wear an outfit thats similar to it!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hey Olivia, just curious about the headcovering at church you mentioned. What is the meaning of wearing it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wearing a head covering for me is an outward representation of recognizing that I am under authority. I'm working on writing up a post about why I believe 1 Corinthians 11 still applies. :) Sorry for the rough sketch.

      Delete
  16. Love the lighting in that one picture!
    At my church, all the women and girls wear hats, so I wouldn't want to distract anyone during the service by showing up with something so obviously different, but the idea of wearing a scarf as a headcovering rather appeals to me!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I really like this outfit...Stripes suit you very well ;-) And the scarf is lovely (the best part about it is certainly that you bought it in Paris, yeah !!! Feel free to come again, I live very close and I'd love to be your host :D just sayin' !)
    Your thoughts on smiling remind me of a sermon I listened to a while ago (from Eric Ludy...) about the christians that ought to be incorrigibly cheerful : basically, we have a great assurance of our salvation, the fact that Christ has redeemed us at the price of his precious blood should always make us be happy and finally, we should realize that trials are made to make us more like Christ...And yes, I too tend to be grumpy and not display this joy !
    Blessings dear Olivia !

    ReplyDelete
  18. Lol at the multitude of headcovering questions coming in every week. Maybe you need a sidebar answering that one! :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow love your outfit! I like browns, and grays, and blacks! Thanks for sharing Olivia!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi! All your outfits are so cute! You given me lots of ideas. how do you pick what to ware each morning?

    Esther

    ReplyDelete
  21. Love the outfit! I really love how the sun catches in the picture! Great job Olivia

    ReplyDelete
  22. nice outfits for spring, so beautiful, I love sunshine.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hello Olivia! I wondered if you could tell me the recipe for the skin bronzer you use. I saw a video of your routine and I am interested in that receipe! I couldn't find it on Pinterest. Thank you!
    God Bless,
    Lydia Hoppman

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. http://freshmodesty.blogspot.com/2012/08/daily-makeup-routine.html :)

      Delete
  24. Sorry to bother you again for another recipe, but could I also get your vitamin water/vit c/lemon oil recipe? Thanks! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I posted the recipe in the comments of the Belated + Busy post. :)

      Delete

I allow anonymous comments so those without accounts can comment, but I would really appreciate it if you would identify yourself by some form of a name. :) Thank you for taking the time to comment!