Monday, February 4, 2013

I'm Terrible At Post Names

Hey! I'm a bit overwhelmed, but oh so happy today. I'm sure y'all will understand when I say that yesterday getting dressed for church was not easy. I put on 3 or 4 outfits I mostly liked, but my sisters shot them down for various reasons. What I ended up with is not a favorite, but it served it's purpose. ;) 

Shirt: Thrift store? Or handmedown. We also have a green version I wore here
Cardigan: F21 (I can't find via searches whether I've blogged this one before, but it's just like this red one when not tied)
Skirt: Made by me
Hat: Target, decoration removed, one side pinned up ;)
Jewelry: Made by Willa
Boots: SteinMart

Why did I tie the cardigan up? Well, letting it hang loose with my skirt was too pouffy, and it's my only long sleeved black cardigan, so I had to make it work. The shirt did not tuck neatly into my skirt (super unflattering) so I needed the jacket. The sleeves ended up funny and loose looking, but I was cold most of the day and had my arms crossed anyway. :p 
My hair was an absolute disaster, too. I rushed out into the cold with wet hair on Saturday to help clean up a cemetery, so I braided it and threw a hat on. When I got home that night, I was too tired to wash my hair, so I threw it still braided into a bun on top of my head while I showered, then slept with it like that. Took it down Sunday morning and it was the most disastrous thing ever; little crinkles here, straight pieces there, huge uneven ugly curls, and about 4 times my normal volume. All that to say, messy braids it was for me yesterday. Once braided, I pulled them loose a little bit to give some more volume near my face with my big hat. I started out with the hair ties closer to the ends, but somehow they moved up before I took these pictures. Oh well. Thus ends my saga. Thank you for reading. 


This week's sermon was on the difficult passage of Romans 1:24-32, dealing with immorality. Sometimes as good Christian girls, we think we are far removed from these passages and we just look at them and shake our heads like, "Ew, why would anyone want to do that?!" or "Glad I know better!" But this passage has implications and exhortation for us too. We constantly need to be calibrating our lives with God's word, and tweaking and changing often to make sure we're not swerving. 
One of the ways God judges man throughout the Bible is by turning him over to the desires of his heart and removing the grace that has kept him from committing acts of depravity thus far. (Pastor gave references for all of these, but I was too slow to write them down). The human conscience is just one way of God's grace restraining us from doing evil.  
"Therefore God also gave them up to uncleanness [impurity], in the lusts of their hearts, to dishonor their bodies among themselves, who [because they] exchanged the truth of God for the lie, and worshiped and served the creature rather than the Creator... For this reason God gave them up to vile passions." ~Romans 1:24-26a. 
Three times through verses 24-32 do the people exchange the truth of God for lies, and God gives them over to their sins. Farther away from His grace. What a terrible place to be! 
Uncleanness. Impurity. Fornication. Harlotry. These words are used to describe idolatry. Exchanging the truth of God means exchanging our relationship with God for a relationship with something else. There is a direct connection Bible-wide between skewed worship and immorality. This applies to me. Us good Christian girls are not at all immune to idolatry. So many things can distract us and we can be led into maybe not necessarily physical impurity, but emotional impurity definitely. If we are truly saved, God will never forsake us, but we can be off-course for a while. 
We need to not want anything too much. Love, friendship, acclaim; they need to be kept in their place. Start to dwell on or desire earthly love more than relationship with our Savior, and we're guilty of idolatry. It's a slippery slope, but God's grace is always there! We need to learn to call our sin what God calls our sin. Thinking too much about a guy or wallowing in selfishness is not just being a teenager/young adult. It's also idolatry, impurity, fornication.


I'm very apathetic to sins sometimes. I think, "Oh, it wasn't that bad" or just shrug it off, when I should be hating it. Thankful for God's grace, yet again, this week. 

What was your sermon about? How do you cope with discouraging dressing days? 


Pin It


38 comments :

  1. I love that hat!
    I so wish my hair did 'messy', but it's to strait.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same. My hair is just too slippery and smooth. :/
      But, I love it. It's easy to work with and when I want it neat, it's super neat!
      Daughter of the Prince of Peace

      Delete
  2. Very cute, classy outfit! Lately I've had a lot of those days too, when I don't like anything I put on and nothing looks good together! Of course it's always on a Sunday morning, when I don't have much time! I don't have any tips for coping with them though!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you look adrobale!


    Kelsey

    ReplyDelete
  4. We had a sermon exactly the same as you a few weeks ago!
    I totally understand trying on three+ outfits... I've had my share of running-late-with-nothing-to-wear Sundays!

    I usually have an outfit reserved especially for that type of Sunday mornings.
    I really don't think you are terrible at post titles! :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Olivia! You blog is really encouraging. Thank you for being so courageous to post! I mean, it takes courage to go against the world nowadays...

    Would you mind if I ask what church you go to?

    Ma

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd rather not name specifically for security reasons, but we're reformed Presbyterian, of the Covenant Presbyterian Church Denomination. :)

      Delete
  6. I really like this outfit. You look very beautiful and I love your use of long skirts. For a long time I've been more of a knee length skirt girl but you make long skirts look very flattering. I'm new to your blog and I really enjoy seeing your styles.

    I love Romans. I've actually been going through that book in my own personal study. Romans 8 is a chapter I've really been clinging to.

    Thank you for sharing!
    ~Ashley

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is hilarious! That is exactly the passage my pastor preached on this Sunday!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. *sigh* Olivia, you ALWAYS post such relevant topics. :) Recently I've been feeling a bit lonesome- you know, that lonesome where no guys *ever* notice you, even though you're trying be God-honoring in your attitudes and choices, and then they go and choose the other girls that are quite obviously only out to catch somebody.
    In spite of that, I decided not to even go near the "love life is getting pathetic" stage, because I knew that doing that wasn't exactly right, but I couldn't put my finger on why it was wrong.
    That is, until I read your post. So, thanks for the wonderful encouragement (and, in my case, correction!) today. I really needed it. I love your sweet self!
    God bless!

    Alicia Joy
    ajoyworthhaving.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Super cute outfit!
    Oh boy can I relate to your Sunday morning clothing blues! :(
    Here's how it goes:
    1. step into closet, sleepy and trying to hurry.
    2. Get frustrated that the previous 4-5 outfits didn't look right (no idea why)
    3. Get overheated-resulting in more frustration.
    4. Time is ticking so you resort to pulling things out, trying them on and then throwing them on the ground (only momentarily thinking about the fact that you're going to have pick them back up later!)
    5. Finally "settle" on an outfit and leave the closet in a huf.

    Some weeks outfits fly at me, others they don't! Or, like this week, I was digging through my clothes trying to find my lace vest (later found it smooshed between two shirts). *sigh* oh well!
    What a horrible life I lead! LOL! ;)

    Totally agree with your comments on the sermon! I think it's a constant checking in with Jesus to make sure we're still on track. It's very hard not to "rate" sin-this is worse than that, or "Well so and so did this REALLY bad thing, I only lied/smarted off/disobeyed-it's not that bad!" Rating our sins against other people's is the absolute worst thing we could ever do!
    On a side note, you probably know I draw pencil portraits from photographs-I was wondering if I could do one for you? If so, email me and let me know and I can send you what I need from photos.
    Natasha
    A Modest Fashion Blog:
    www.natashaatkerson.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ha ha! I don't think I'd be any good at posting names either :) But hey, I like your posts names! You look so cute!

    Have a great evening!

    ~Hannah

    ReplyDelete
  11. I really like your look

    ReplyDelete
  12. How do ypu tie your cardagen?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's just tied... like any other knot. Next time you comment, would you mind using some sort of name or number or other way of identifying yourself? Thanks!

      Delete
  13. I have one outfit always set aside and figured out for a wardrobe emergency (;
    It's an outfit that I know I feel comfortable and cute in!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love your outfit! It's so pretty! I like your hat, super funky! :) I know how you feel about days about having a hassle about dressing. I see many girls dressing stylishly, but immodestly. Every time a guy looks me over I think, Am I modest? Am I setting a good example? I'm with no relationships with guys now, I have a long ways to go, but I'm trusting the Lord for the right guy and the right time. Are you? Thanks a lot of sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Why do you want to hate it more? I so dislike all the hate that is spewed with religion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We should hate our sin, because God hates our sin: Psalms 45:6 "Your throne, O God, [is] forever and ever; A scepter of righteousness [is] the scepter of Your kingdom. 7 You love righteousness and hate wickedness." "Religion" can often come with hate, but it shouldn't be that way. That's man's agenda taking over again. As a Christian, I should hate what God hates, and love what God loves, but with humility, because I know that I am only saved from my sin because of God's decision, not my own. I hate my own sin, but I don't dwell on hating the sins of others. That's between them and God. All have fallen short of the Glory of God and we deserve His righteous wrath. He was so good to offer His Son to take the wrath that is intended for us on Himself, so that we might enjoy communion with God again.

      As I told a previous commenter, I would really really appreciate it if you could identify yourself in some way, shape, or form (number, letter, combination of symbols) when commenting, instead of hiding behind the anonymous label. Any further completely anonymous comments will not be published. Thanks!

      Delete
    2. I agree completely with you Olivia, I was just going to add for the benefit of the mysterious commenter, it can be summed up in a simple statement that might make more sense to you:

      hate the sin, not the sinner.
      It's not about the kind of hate you're thinking of. Olivia isn't talking about hate for the sake of hate. Christians can hate the fact that someones is, say lying to them, that doesn't mean they have to hate the person.
      Natasha

      Delete
  16. I love everything about this outfit. I don't know why you're so disatisfied with it because you look so pretty and cute in the pictures! I'd wear it [and before I read about your hair truma, I thought to myself 'I love her hair' lol so maybe it's just me...?] Anyway, I think you'd look nice in a potatoe sack, so don't worry about the little things:) Outta' the box but in His book is all ya need;)

    -Miriam

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with Miriam. I had to laugh about your hair comment because my first thought when I saw the picture was how cute your hair looked.

      Delete
  17. Your outfit looks quite pleasant! You always look lovely! :) Does a hat also work at your church for a head covering? I don't believe in head coverings, but if we went to a church that preferred that way, it would probably be respectful and less likely to raise dissension. As a quote I read once, "If Paul saw a Jew, he would hide his ham sandwich behind his back." In regards to the verse about not causing other Christian's to stumble.
    Great post!
    Anne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a personal conviction about headcoverings, and for me a hat counts. I'm not sure how others at church feel, but many of the ladies wear hats, too. :)

      Delete
  18. I have days just like that; none of my clothes look right, my hair is a big frizzy mess, and I don't have time to straighten it. I suppose it's one of the ways God keeps us humble:) By the way, I love your long skirt. You made it look cute and modest without letting the length make it frumpy!

    Abby

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love your sermon recaps! As for the clothes, I have "Sunday clothes". I suppose it's more boring when you rotate the same few Sunday outfits every season, but I'm glad I don't have to put together clothes plus a hat plus shoes plus a pocketbook on Sunday mornings.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Its good to know I'm not the only one who goes through multiple outfits and then ends up settling for something thats not my favorite! And post names urgh my sister sees mine and says why in the world would you name it that? Couldn't you think of anything better?

    Thanks for sharing your outfits even when they are not your favorites!
    ♥Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  21. Cute outfit, and I really mean it! The hat makes it! I admire any girl who can wear a hat with confidence, and you can!

    And thanks for the reminder about hating our sin. Sin hurts us and hurts those around us. I know from my experience I won't deal with sin until I hate it.

    Emily
    www.fashionedanddesigned.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  22. Sorry I am new at this so I am still figuring out how to do it:)
    Hannah

    ReplyDelete
  23. I actually really love this outfit. It looks like a riding habit from Downton Abbey or something like that. How'd you get your hat to turn up in the side like that? It's sooo cute.

    ~ Anna :D

    ReplyDelete
  24. 10/10 fashion blog :) I really like this one! Maybe we could follow each other on Bloglovin and/or GFC?

    Please leave me a comment on my blog and I will follow you!

    http://kstylick.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  25. You can pull off any outfit, even on bad messy hair/outfit days!
    The sermon sounds interesting...has made me really think, many thanks for sharing, Olivia! :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Really cute outfit!

    Your wrote, "We need to learn to call our sin what God calls sin." And it reminded me of our sermon on Sunday. It was similar in many respects. We had a fill in pastor, and he titled his sermon, "Tolerable Sins" the main point being there are no tolerable sins. How often do we do something, say something, think something, that we immediately (or at some point after) think, "oh, that wasn't all that nice, pry shouldn't have done that...etc." but then rationalize it saying, "well it wasn't that bad, or It wasn't the nicest thing to think, but it's true! or She said it herself just the other day so it's okay I did...etc." Sin is sin is sin, the message was very convicting and it has had my husband and me thinking on it, and working on eliminating those "tolerable sins" in our lives.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I have to agree I love this outfit! The hat looks quite vintage with the side folded up too.

    ReplyDelete
  28. I love the outfit!!! It looks so Narnian/British!!!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Your outfit is cute. I match up outfits on hangers(cami; shirt; cardigan or blazer; skirt or pants, i mostly have skirts) in my closet so that i can just grab and go with ease. I miss the am service because i teach the jr sunday school class which we are doing a series on Jesus' life. Last week was a review week from birth to Jesus choosing he disciples Matthew 4:19 KJV. I always get to be there for the evening service except last week it snowed a i missed that service too.

    ReplyDelete

Fresh Modesty is fashion blog which encourages girls to "Dress outside your box, but inside His Book!" I allow anonymous comments so those without accounts can comment, but I would really appreciate it if you would identify yourself by some form of a name. :) Thank you for taking the time to comment!