Friday, February 1, 2013

Tornado

Hey y'all! Hope you're doing well! I'm thankful for so much today. I think it's time for a long-overdue awkward and awesome, don't you think? Today I'm also going to add "awful". But first, what I wore today:

This jacket, shirt, and skirt have been together on the blog before here. They're definitely favorites. Today I grabbed a mustard tank to wear with it. 
Jacket: Khol's, $12
Boyfriend Tee: Thrift store, $2
Skirt: Made by me
Boots: Nashville boot store, $80


Awkward:
  • "Hi! Sorry we're late!!" Late? Didn't even know to expect you. Stuttering around the bush a minute while you figure out what their purpose is, when they assume you know. 
  • Salting something, and the lid of the shaker comes off and all the salt dumps in. :-/
  • How excited I get when fabric samples come in the mail. Don't be alarmed if you see me skipping or dancing down the lane with a stupid grin on my face. 
  • Biking through streams and the spray of water it leaves on your backside. 
  • I recently acquired a cowhide and yesterday someone asked me: "Have you tanned your hide yet?" I didn't get it at first, but my sister let out quite a guffaw.  
  • Discovering a whole store of treasures in our couch. I cleaned out the crannies and discovered at least 10 years of childhood artifacts. Like my card from the Red Cross saying I passed the swimming test in 2003, Barbie clothes, and my favorite candy wrappers. 
  • When you work up a sweat trying to find your deodorant. 
  • The long blonde hairs all over my adorable F21 coat. It's dark purple and the hairs are so untidy. Lint brushes just don't cut it. 
  • Meeting your neighbor for the first time and assuming they've already met the rest of your family, so you don't say the normal courtesy stuff like, "We'll have to have you to dinner sometime", "Welcome to the neighborhood" and general stuff you say when you're introduced to a complete stranger.  
  • Being mistaken for someone else all over town. We both are named Olivia, have blonde hair, and sew, but she's 4 inches taller. :P 

Now for the awful: 
Earlier this week during the night, a tornado swept through a little town about a mile from our house. It's quite devastated and so sad.

Awesome:
  • Amazingly, no one was seriously injured during the tornado. One mother went in to get her young daughter out of bed and the door slammed behind her. Her husband busted it open just in time to throw himself on the two of them as their roof blew completely off. Scary stuff. 
  • How the community is pulling together to clean up. So many praises and so many prayers to be said. 
  • That we didn't have any damage at all to our property. 
  • Getting our pigs back from the processor! Nothing like home-grown pork. 
  • My family letting me decorate our living room with big black carved butterflies. They're scattered on the walls and mantle. My sister thought it looked like Wonderland. 
  • My 5 year old sister praying, "Thank You for creating us so that we can create our own love." 
  • Going out to see The Hobbit with just my two teen sisters and parents... meaning no little kids! We also walked around the mall and realized the last time it had been just the 5 of us was when my 14 year old sister was 7. It was a great time. 
  • Kingdom Notes from Highlands Ministry. If you aren't getting these encouraging emails, you should be. They're usually short, sweet, and powerful. Always worth reading and a great source of good solid teaching. 
  • Coffee. I am adamant about not getting addicted to coffee, and I don't think it's healthy, but with getting hardly any sleep the last two weeks, I'm very thankful for it's stimulating qualities. 
  • Finishing almost every evening with a strawberry and chocolate chip milkshake. About 10pm as I'm just getting discouraged that I still have 4 hours of computer work to do, my sister brings me a giant cup of this delicious stuff.
I have been madly in love with our green, lush, shady but sunshiny canopied chert road since first seeing it in 2009. This is that road now (lower right corner). My heart is broken because it won't ever be the same. I know God's will is being done and His glory will come in the messy bits of life too. But it's sad.

What's been awkward, awesome, and/or awful about your week?

Pin It


25 comments :

  1. I love that skirt!!
    -Chantal

    Www.stilldeeper.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. :) Love your skirt! And I always enjoy your A&A's. btw... is the link for the Kingdom Notes correct? I clicked on it and was treated to a lovely fabric website ;) Just wanted to make sure you knew!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, no, that was definitely the wrong link! That's what comes from multitasking on no sleep! It should be the right link now. :) Thanks!

      Delete
  3. Lovely blog and outfits:) I am a new follower! Http://emily-underthelilacs.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. So sorry about the tornado! Seems like weather lately has been insane everywhere! Glad everyone is okay!

    Have you tried removing the hair with tape wrapped around your your hand-sticky side out? That's what I do! :)

    Cute outfit-I love your skirts! If they ever go missing one day...LOL! Just kidding!
    Natasha
    A Modest Fashion Blog:
    www.natashaatkerson.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tanned your hide....hahahaha....also made me think of 7 Brides for 7 Brothers.

    Iris♥

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, close call with the tornado-we had warnings in a county near us, but none touched down.I am afraid I don't take the threat serious enough.
    That skirt is adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOVE your outfit! It's so simple and cute! Glad to know that everyone was ok from the tornado, never seen one, but they are pretty scary. Had a crazy busy week, lots of school is getting done, chores are done, and social activities are a big wow! Hope for a quiet weekend. Thanks for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hugs and prayers about the tornado... It made me really sad to read about that. :( (Saw the blog your mom linked to with all the pictures...)
    Thankful you're all safe though!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've been to Middle TN a couple of times and to think of it's beauty damaged like this is devastating. Praying for the families who have lost everything, including loved ones.

    Glad ya'll are okay. :)The skirt is adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Is coffee pretty bad for you? I've been drinking it so much lately due to my crazy work hours! :P

    ReplyDelete
  11. so sorry to here about the tornado, i know how devistating they can be hope there were no injuries involved. prayers your way!
    http://cowgirlbootsforever.blogspot.kr/

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ha, ha, the treasures in your couch! We used to live in another province, and while there my sister and I (we were about 7 and 8 then) had to take these nasty muti-vitamins every day. Well, my sister didn't mind them, but I couldn't stand the taste. So one time I was naughty and hid my share in the couch. YEARS later we moved here, and I was cleaning the couch extra good (I was about 15 or so) and found them! Yuck! They were discolored, but still had that nasty iron smell. :) We all had a good laugh about that! So I had to grin at your discoveries. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm so saddened to see the horrid devestations from the tornado. We had one just a little north of us. It wiped out several neighborhoods and killed one poor man. We spent most of our day in the basement listening to the sirens and praying. Glad to hear your family escaped.
    Adorable outfit and thanks for the link to Kingdom Notes.

    Victoria

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh wow! I'm sorry to hear about the tornado! I'm glad though that no one was seriously hurt! Praying for everyone who was involved.

    Love the finding treasures in your couch! That happens to us too. Usually someone ends up saying, 'So that's where that went!'

    Your polka dot skirt is just adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Cute skirt! love how you added the mustard yellow tank.:) Very glad you and your familioy were protected! My prayers will be with the people of that town. I know exactly what they are going through right now.... my families home was destroyed by a tornado almost two years ago and it was like nothing else. Surreal would be the perfect word to describe it. The bright spot during that hard time though, was definitely seeing how God worked things out and used the entire community to help out us and the many others who lost their home. God truly does work all things together for good and I am confident he will in this town as well!

    Maria

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm sorry to hear about the tornado, but it's a blessing that everyone's alright! We had that string of storms through here, but no tornadoes hit our town. That strawberry chocolate chip milkshake sounds delicious!

    -Jeanette

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love the skirt + jacket, Olivia, and I enjoyed reading through your awkwards + awesomes. =) I'm so thankful for the Lord's protection during the tornado and that you are okay. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow! I'm sorry about the tornado. Love your outfit :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. I absolutely LOVE the mustard tank! It pops out so much. The hoodie looks comfortable too. :D

    I'm praying for that tornado struck town! I can imagine how it feels... Although I have never experienced a tornado, we did experience a devastating earthquake in 2011, that killed hundreds.

    S

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thought you might like this! :) http://www.etsy.com/shop/LetsBacktrack?ref=pr_shop_more

    Becca

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love this outfit! So relaxed/stylish/comfortable/modest/fun!!! Love the polka dots! You are brave to match these colors, and you make them work so well!!!!

    ~Em
    http://graphicdesignblogspot.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  22. LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE your skirt! :)
    http://dixie-n-dottie.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  23. You look so relaxed in that outfit! I love it, it's perfectly for a casual day to just sit back and relax...curl up with your favorite book or hobby!

    ~Kelly Beth~

    ReplyDelete

Fresh Modesty is fashion blog which encourages girls to "Dress outside your box, but inside His Book!" I allow anonymous comments so those without accounts can comment, but I would really appreciate it if you would identify yourself by some form of a name. :) Thank you for taking the time to comment!