Thursday, March 28, 2013

Black + Pink + Denim

Hey y'all! Today I'm sharing the outfit I wore last Thursday but didn't get a chance to post. :) In fact, I didn't even manage to take pictures that day. I put the outfit back on Friday for y'all, lol.


Awkward:
  • Have you ever smelled something and thought, "That is my childhood"? Well, Aldi salsa, cheddar cheese, sour cream, and Ritz crackers does that to me. I thought we were the hippest family around the day I read the back of the Ritz box and we actually had all the ingredients for the "Recommended Recipe". Funny the things we think are SO COOL as youngins.
  • The habit I have of driving with my left hand under my left leg, and then switching hands when my left falls asleep. :P I think it's from driving during the winter without gloves and trying to keep warm. Now that it's warming up I'm trying to get back to two-handed driving. :-}
  • Walking around the grocery store with your phone held high above your head trying to get enough signal to load a recipe from Pinterest.
  • Monday morning at the feed store with your brain on total snooze and two wound up kiddos in tow. The nice man asks what he can get for you today and you stumble out syllables, corral a kid, and hide your face in your hands as you try to get the words, "Food for chickens... layer feed... pellets...yeah whatever brand we normally get... however much this cash will buy" out of your mouth. You feel like you could fall asleep right there and not be embarrassed at all cause you're just soooo tired. Mondays are so glamorous. 
  • Really craving ice cream, but having to wait until the kids go to bed to churn it because they'd eat it all if they knew about it. And then putting too much vanilla in so it doesn't churn anyway. 
  • Walking from the thrift store to the gas station with your sister and meeting two young guy friends on the way. They ask why y'all are heading to Shell since its obviously not for gas if you're on foot, and your sister blurts out, "SHE's going to the bathroom and I'm just following."  Thanks. 
  • Picking out a shirt at the charity store and taking it up to the counter and the volunteer saying, "Oh, that used to be my shirt! I loved it." Just kinda weird. 

 Awesome:
  • Emma making GF chocolate chip English muffins (sorry, the recipe's in a book so I can't link to it, plus you need special muffin rings) and then finding Boston creme pie filling in the fridge to fill them with. I may have eaten two almost the size of my hand.
  • Friends who will take you for who you are at that moment. Whether that's super hyper, slothy brain-dead tired, shy, should-be-sleeping-cause-its-midnight silly, or pitifully grumpy, they'll cheer you up and not think you're weird or pull back 'cause they don't know what to do with you. :D
  • My mom being out of her room two days last week without being exhausted the next days! We take this as great encouragement that she will be better someday hopefully not too far in the future. 
  • Knowing that your friends are praying for you and feeling it. So powerful. 
  • Getting snow and then two days later being in flip-flops. Maybe Spring will stick around this time?
  • A baby shower! We attended one this week that was for two little blessings and it was so cute! The theme was Bubbles. I made the punch and we froze blue water in balloons for cool round bubble-looking ice. :)
  • Spending an afternoon at a friend's farm planting potatoes and putting stickers on brochures. Such a great time with "family" in the sunshine, working with all ages and enjoying them equally. I wore the outfit in this post for that with my hair down, in case you'd like to know. ;) I put my hair up for a birthday party that evening.
  • Marie sending me this picture! It totally made my day! She's my awesome reader from France who is such a faithful and encouraging commenter. She was also the first person to buy How To Sew Denim! She's super sweet and it's a privilege getting to know her.
 So, my outfit! I wanted something fun but practical, so I went with pink, white, denim, and beach beads. It was still kind of chilly out, even in the sun, so I made the pink pop more with my black jacket. 
I made this skirt (seen before here) when I was writing How To Sew Denim, and it has been a favorite of my sister's and mine since. With dozens of washings it shrunk a teeny bit (I have lots of information about this in the eBook), plus I hemmed it shorter than I like originally, so Thursday morning I unpicked the hem to reveal the lovely faded line and it became the perfect length. Just a little back-info for the seamstresses! ;)
Shirt: Kohl's (free)
Tank: F21 ($3)
Cardigan: handmedown (free)
Skirt: Made by me (material about $15)
Necklace: Handmedown
Huge hoop earrings: Walmart ($1)
Boots: Shoe Carnival [would have worn black if I had them] ($35)
My hair I curled in the morning and then in the evening after it had loosened a bit I roughly divided it on either side of my head and then did like a twist up with each section, pinning at the top. Took about 3 minutes, woot!

Alright, I'm off to see if the washing machine is still working... good news is the vacuum's fixed! La la la la life gooooooes onnnnn.... (name that song!)
How's your week been? Any awkwards or awesomes to share? I love hearing!

Pin It


32 comments :

  1. Ob-la-di, Ob-la-da! :) My sister used to play that on the piano.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your hair, is it in a pony tail, or a bun? I think that the awesome in my week would be living in the mountains were you can rost marshmellows over a bonfire any time you want. The awkward would be learniing to Tango with partners you have never met before, and the teacher telling you that you have to act like you hate and despise the man you are dancing with " oh, hello nice to meet you, ok now I have to hate you and not be impressed" stange way to meet someone new:) ~ Hannah

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Olivia,

    I love reading your awkward and awesome. It is nice to know that I am not the only one who has awkward moments. :)

    I totally agree with you about the stuff we used to think was cool when we were kids. My siblings and I love to talk (and laugh) about it. One of my favorite stories is how my youngest brother thought that braces were the *best*. He didn't know about their teeth-straightening purpose and thought teens got them to "look cool". :)

    --Raelyn Nicole

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awkward:
    -hitting your head on the refridgerator door
    -realizing your arm is sore from all the the ping-pong and air hockey playing from the day before.
    -your laptop keyboard screwing up so that your words look like some sort of telegraph short-hand something or other.

    Awesome:
    -taking a friend to youth gropu who had never been before...and them having a blast!
    -Papa Johns pizza...it is a VERY rare treat!
    -having a super-adorable photo shoot with my puppy in all the snow we got. F.U.N. :)

    Thanks for reading, Olivia. Praying for your momma!
    -alison

    ReplyDelete
  5. We have a "Mom Swap" twice a year at my church and we always end up saying "Oh that was mine!" to each other. Kind of awkward but kind of cool? Ha ha.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love youre Skirts! I am now saving money to buy a good sewing machine! Than I need lessens to learn how to sew.. And Than hopefully once I can buy you're e book and learn how to make my own skirts!

    Awkward:
    I had nothing awkward today!

    Awesome:
    - I work as a teacher in an Evangelical Primary school and today we celebrated eastern! All the kids brought nice food for an great breakfast together!
    - Singing with all the kids from our school to give God the glory!
    - During the "preach" of the principal when he said we all need to give our lives to God. Hearing a small girl of 8 wispering... I do that every day!

    Greetings! Have a great eastern weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cute boots! Oh, can't wait for spring up here. :( I sure hope it comes soon. And that shirt is so simple yet cute. What do you like especially about khols?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ackward - filming a YouTube video outside when a random person walks by and stares.
    Trying to walk over to a friend at church and the. She walks away and trying again to walk over to her and getting stopped by another person wanton to talk to you. I ended up getting to talk to her when she came over to me. :) I felt silly walking half way across the room for no reason twice. :)
    Your dad is teaching Sunday school and all of the sudden you think you hear the tea kettle whistle. You get up to turn it off and it's just the coffee pot brewing. You feel stupid having gotten up when there was nothing to turn off.

    Awesome- getting to go to small group with a new friend.
    My birthday is next week and a couple of my friends are going swing dancing with me.
    Springing weather and snow in the same week.
    Jesus died and rose again! I love Easter and how we get to celebrate that.

    I love your ackward and awesome posts Olivia! The outfit is great too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the outfit, Olivia! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, that's really cool Olivia! Oh my, "SHE"S going to the bathroom and I'm just following." Wow, EMBARRASSING! Well, awkward this week is that we are sick with the stomach bug, and I'm holding on to my lunch while the others aren't. I won the battle and am on the mend now.
    I really like how you did your hair! I have naturally curly hair, well, not ringlets, kinda kinky around my face and waves down to the bottom. Going to cut my hair sometime. And awesome about my week: Drinking ginger ale! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very lovely outfit, Olivia! I love the mix of pink with denim, just so cute. You are always just so encouraging! I really enjoy you and your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I *love* your hair, Olivia!! It looks so cute on you :D
    The outfit is pretty darling too!

    -Charlotte
    boyerfamilysingers.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love this outfit! Awesome skirt! Song... Robin Hood cartoon...

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow what a surprise to see myself right here ;-) Thank you once again, and also because I definitly love my destination skirt !
    I really like this outfit and have already worn something looking very similar
    My A+A are : Awkward : becoming completly crazy while submitting my PhD grant request with my boss...But she became crazy too and you ended up having a good time ; singing at the top of my lunges (or almost !) late at night while I was finishing some experiments in the lab and discovering that...well, I was not alone ;-)
    Awesome : becoming an aunt for the 4th time. I'm so blessed with this amazing little boy who is just PERFECT ! Can't wait for saturday to cuddle with him...
    Have a great day ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Awkward:
    Pulling half of your poor horse's mane out because she bunny-hops over a 4 ft. jump. And then flopping forward and dropping both stirrups and the reins. Whoops. :/
    Smashing a plate in the dead silence in front of our entire church. I nearly died...
    Standing at the counter at Payless and asking how much some shoes cost...Cashier: "Oh, those are $57.00" Me: "What?" She started laughing and told me the look on my face was HILARIOUS. Turns out they only costed $19.95. My brain was fried.

    Awesome:

    Shopping in the mall for hours with one of my good friends!
    Pork and rice! Dinner tonight was awesome.
    Movie nights with friends and/or family. :) Especially watching Avengers with your family...we can quote the ENTIRE thing.
    My horsey, Allotta. She's sometimes a pain, but most of the time she's a doll.

    ~Aleni~


    ReplyDelete
  16. Very cute, comfy, casual outfit! Love your hair! Not a bad week:) Picked up a little extra work!:)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Super cute, Olivia!
    LOL! Oh my gosh, I think I would've burst out laughing if someone told me it was their shirt! I've always thought it would be funny if I saw someone wearing "my shirt" somewhere!
    Let me see-Awesome-finely feeling better and being able to exercise!
    Awkward-driving a "new" (new to me!) car and feeling like you're taking up the entire road!
    Natasha
    A Modest Fashion Blog:
    www.natashaatkerson.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love the outfit Olivia! I really like your hair style too! ~ Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  19. Very cute outfit. I did not realize your mother is so ill. I will be praying for her and your whole family as you minister to her. I hope she will be much better soon.

    Victoria

    ReplyDelete
  20. The Beatles Oblidi Oblahdah.... my beautiful phonetic spelling.

    Awkward: Completely forgetting it was Good Friday and everything is closed so freaking out that I missed my weekly tutoring appointment.

    Awesome: Watched my two new dvds last night: What's in the Bible with Buck Denver and Meet Me in St. Louis

    It's Good Friday and I can stay in bed til 10.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi Olvia, hope your mom is on the road to a quick recovery. Many prayers to y'all. If I may ask, what does she have that's making her sick?

    -Kayla H.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! She has severe adrenal fatigue and auto immune thyroid issues. Unfortunately things that take a long time to heal-- she's already been "down" a year. :-/ Blessings!

      Delete
    2. My sister-in-law has really bad thyroid issues also, she's only 21 and I feel so bad for her, she gets so sick sometimes! I'll keep your mom in my prayers!
      Kalin from Modestyismypolicy.blogspot.com.

      Delete
  22. Hahhaha! That last "awkward" is SO funny...never happened to me but just the thought of someone saying that is just hilarious! I always enjoy reading your "awks" and "awes," so thanks! :) Great blog!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Adoralbe outfit Olivia! I love it!

    Awkward - Singing at my nanny job quite loudly (thinking no one was around) and then realising that their Mom was in the next room.....oops.....

    Awesome - How sunny and warm it is here today!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Love your outfit! That denim skirt is lovely.

    My most awkward moment for this week happened last night after singing some pieces from the Messiah for the Good Friday service at church. I am one of only two sopranos, and last night a friend came up and asked if I was singing a solo. My other friend, the second soprano, was mortified! It was just an awkward moment all around. Also awkward is ordering the kid's sized milkshake at a fast food place because you don't want all the dairy and it's half the cost.(;

    Awesome is sewing a new top and having extraordinarily good luck at finding the 50% off tags at the thrift store, and having one of the dresses I picked up being one that I'd had my eye on at Target for weeks but was too expensive. :D

    I know the feeling of groggy Mondays! Monday is always the hardest day of the week for me. :P I've also had far too many awkward moments like that one with your sister! :P

    Hope you have a lovely and blessed Easter weekend!

    ~Vicki

    ReplyDelete
  25. Love the outfit! Having good friends is great isn't it!!! I like your hair too. Have a blessed Resurrection Sunday. BTW do you follow Jasmine Baucham? Just asking... :-)TTFN (ta ta for now):-P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, I think her blog is invited readers only?

      Delete
  26. Fun Post, Olivia! I'm so glad I found your blog. My Mom and I love it. :-)

    So... Awkward: Going to Wal Mart so many times that you try to avoid some of the familiar faces working there. "Yeah...It's me...again...."

    Awesome: Listening to some amazing worship music and my brother and I *attempt* to sing along with Steve Green. :-)

    I hope you have an amazing Resurrection Day, Olivia!

    God Bless,
    Kelsey

    ReplyDelete
  27. Do you have kids or are the ones mentioned your siblings?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Her siblings, I do believe
      ~A~

      Delete
  28. Awkward:
    Everybody in your choir chime group is sitting down and waiting for the signal to get up. Your friend gets up and heads over to the choir chimes and whispers begin sprinting among the bell choir people. Because you, haha, have no idea what you are supposed to do, you reason that she is a fairly responsible and with-it person, so you get up and follow her. Much to your dismay, you notice that no one else is getting up. So you stand up there with your friend. In front of the whole church. In the way of the guy who is doing a narration. Not fun. But funny later!

    Sitting down in a chair, and as you are talking to your friends your world suddenly tilts and you and the chair take a crash landing. Turns out the chair had a broken leg. Whoops! ;)

    Awesome

    You and a friend are hanging out at your brother's soccer practice. You two decide to go to the vending machines in a separate building, and your friend's little brother tags along too. Once you get there, he decides that he wants his sister to buy him some chips. So she pays for it and as the bag is falling, she opens the door to get it, but the chips get stuck. Ack! Then a random guy walking by offers to buy something to get the bag unstuckified. So he purchases a pop tart and the bag of chips get unstuck. :) Hee hee, my angel of the day!
    P.S. This incident actually happened at Bob Jones. ;)

    ReplyDelete

Fresh Modesty is fashion blog which encourages girls to "Dress outside your box, but inside His Book!" I allow anonymous comments so those without accounts can comment, but I would really appreciate it if you would identify yourself by some form of a name. :) Thank you for taking the time to comment!