Welcome! I'm Olivia Howard, a 21 year old homeschool graduate, lover of practicality, beauty, and FRESH.
This blog is for your encouragement. I share my outfits+life to that end and I pray you are blessed by your visit.

Follow by Email

Followers

Blog Archive

Powered by Blogger.
Monday, March 4, 2013

Hypocrisy

Hey y'all! Hope today finds you better than me-- went to bed with a high fever and it's still hanging around, bringing body aches and chills to the party. :-/

But yesterday was fabulous. Church, a baptism service, getting muddy, and fellowship at some friends' house. The sermon was on Romans 2:12-29 where Paul is exposing the hypocrite's spirit. In the Greek, hypocrite means actor; someone who is putting on a mask. Pastor illustrated this with quotes from Jonathan Edwards during The Great Awakening. Even though these folks were just a generation or two away from their ancestors who had moved to The New World for true religious purposes, Edwards saw people who were trying to earn their salvation through the right works; putting on the masks. The Great Awakening really hit home with people because they realized although they were trying so hard to do the right thing, they were still play acting.
Paul in this portion of Romans is leaving no stone unturned to lay our hearts bare in order that we can realize our need of not being able to follow God's law on our own. These verses give us examples of being able to talk the talk of Christianity, of being able to discern God's will, of boasting in the law, but show how we really are not doing it out of a repentant, Christ-filled heart. I wish I could expand more, but I'm feeling pretty terrible at the moment.

Sweater: Walmart
Skirt: Goodwill
Undershirt: Halftee
Boots: Gift
Hat: Charming Charlies
This was a great outfit that incorporates a lot of my favorite pieces, I'm sure y'all recognize them. ;)

Wanted to let y'all know about the guest post I did on Happily Domestic for their Modestly Adorned event! My subject was my five favorite types of skirts to wear daily. Be sure to check it out. :)

Modestly Adorned Event





Pin It

24 comments:

  1. Wow, I love this! I really like this style, and the hat and boots really compliment the skirt and sweater! I love those kinds of sweaters and skirts! Thanks a lot for sharing! Have a nice day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. P.S I hope you feel better soon! It's no fun being sick!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hope you're feeling better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love those boots!!! Get better soon! :) I am just now getting over an awful cold-Ugh!
    Kalin from http://modestyismypolicy.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your boots Olivia! I hope you feel better! ~ Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your outfit is really cute. :) Would you also think of a long denim skirt as an "essential" too (it wasn't mentioned in that post)? Hope you feel better!
    -Irene

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the pop of red in your boots Olivia! You always look beautiful and and joyful! Thanks for linking up! I hope you come back next week! :)

    Blessings!

    Rubi

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the skirt! I just found out this weekend that there's a Charming Charlie near(ish) us, but didn't get a chance to go inside. I hope you feel better soon! That high fever can't be fun.

    -Jeanette

    ReplyDelete
  9. A prayer for your quick recovery... sometimes "He maketh us lie down..." and we can look for a blessing in it! Thank you for sharing your sermon notes -- I always benefit from the lessons.
    Get better!
    Lori
    Texas

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh no, hope you're feeling better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Is your fadora purpule or red?
    ~ Hannah

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's like an oxblood/burgandy color. I posted it here too, if you'd like to see a better picture: http://freshmodesty.blogspot.com/2013/02/i-like-wine.html

      Delete
    2. Ohh,Thank you!
      ~ Hannnah

      Delete
  12. Hope you get well really soon - it's not fun being sick! :(

    Gorgeous outfit, as always! :) Love how you used the burgundy color -- it looks great on you!

    ~Sarah
    cutecombinations.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love your top! It has just the perfect neutral colors and style... :D

    You mentioned a while ago that those boots are a bit too small for you. They must pinch your poor feet! I remember trying to fit into really small brown boots, once upon a time...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, great memory! The boots are rather small, but they're too cute not to wear. :)

      Delete
  14. Are you going to answer the questions from a few weeks back?
    ~Aleni~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm hoping to! I've been slowly working on them, but it takes up more time than one would think. I got over 150 questions, and most of them not very easy to answer. :P I thought maybe while I was sick this week I'd work on them, but so far I've been to sick to do so. Now I'm almost better and have other things around the house I need to catch up on. All that to say, I'm trying. :P

      Delete
  15. Cute! I LOVE stripes, my older sister however says something to the effect of "oh barf" when she sees stripes! How insane is that?!
    Sorry to hear you're sick! I had a super bad cold a few weeks ago, knocked me out for a good 5 days! I had a fever, soar, as you said and pretty much laid around sleeping for those five days! Which is unusual for me, two to three days is usually how long I get colds for. The colds seem to be stronger this year for some reason.
    Natasha
    A Modest Fashion Blog:
    www.natashaatkerson.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Olivia,

    Do you mind if I post my own Awkward & Awesome's on my blog? I just thought I would ask, since it was your idea first. :)

    ~Sarah
    cutecombinations.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for asking! I actually got the idea from another blogger ages ago, and unfortunately can't even remember what blog, so I can't claim it as my own idea. :) So, I certainly don't mind! Feel free to leave a link to your post on my awkward and awesome so I can read it!

      Delete
    2. Ok - Thanks! I will certainly do that :) :) :)

      Delete
  17. I pray you get better soon, Olivia!
    I am really enjoying hearing about the sermons your Pastor is giving... I'm currently doing a Romans Challenge ( reading Rom 1-8 everyday for 50 days), so your 'commentaries' have been such a blessing to me! Thankyou so much for sharing!

    And you look beautiful, my dear... as always! You and your blog is such a massive blessing to me!!

    Much love in Christ, our Risen Lord,
    Emily xo

    P.S are you in need of more 'Friends of F.M' submissions? I am thinking of maybe sending a few pics, but if you have a overwhelming number of submissions, I don't want to add to it! :P xox

    ReplyDelete

I allow anonymous comments so those without accounts can comment, but I would really appreciate it if you would identify yourself by some form of a name. :) Thank you for taking the time to comment!

SEARCH

Loading...

Sponsor

Sponsor

Sponsor

TEXT HERE

Sponsor

Sponsor

Sponsor

Sponsor