Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Palm Sunday in Belted Cardigan

Hey y'all! Feels funny to be doing two Sunday outfits in a row, but such is life right now. I spent the week in front of the computer doing Photoshop work and taking every chance I could to get outside in the amazing weather. Unfortunately that weather has ended (we have snow on the ground!), the laundry has suffered, and life shows no signs of slowing down, as evidenced by this outfit being a day late. S'all good though.

Since yesterday was Palm Sunday, we took a  break from Romans and instead heard the Word of God preached from Daniel 7 where he has that amazing prophetic dream in Babylon. It's a long chapter, but the gist is that four beasts arise, each with distinct characteristics. Verse 9 begins the court scene in which God is the king and judge and He destroys or takes away the dominion of the beasts. Verse 13 Jesus, called the Son of Man (interestingly His favorite name for Himself in the New Testament), is presented before the Ancient of Days "And to Him was given dominion and glory and a kingdom, that all peoples, nations, and languages should serve Him; His dominion is an everlasting dominion which shall not pass away and His kingdom one that shall not be destroyed." Daniel goes on to show the meaning of this dream in verse 17, "These four great beasts are four kings who shall arise out of the earth. But the saints of the Most High shall receive the kingdom and posses the kingdom, forever and ever."

 The Son of Man's kingdom is not like these other kingdoms. Those other kingdoms were actual kingdoms on earth-- and of course I didn't write them down, but two were Babylon and the Roman Empire. Christ's kingdom is not of this world (John 18:36) and Jesus showed this by riding into Jerusalem on a donkey. It wasn't exactly the dramatic picture that the Jews had in their mind from Daniel 7. 
John 18:37, "Pilate therefore said to Him, “Are You a king then?” Jesus answered, “You say rightly that I am a king. For this cause I was born, and for this cause I have come into the world, that I should bear witness to the truth. Everyone who is of the truth hears My voice.”" 

Christ's purpose here on this earth was not only to take our place on the Cross, but also to bring His kingdom to this earth. He was crowned King on Calvary by crushing the head of the serpent and redeeming the seed of the woman; the battle that has been waging since the fall in Genesis 3.
What does this mean? It means that our purpose is not just advancing the Gospel on this earth. We are part of His Kingdom and we are to promote truth, holiness, righteousness.

The Bible has SO much to say. Every time we dig deeper, I'm astounded at the amazing overlap and awesome theologies the Lord has revealed in His Word; the prophesies of the Old Testament and how they were fulfilled in the New, the judgement of Jerusalem that is clearly spoken about and how it came to pass in 70 AD, the hope of our current state on earth and the encouragement for every sticky situation.

I thought I was gonna have to pull out an easy repeat outfit on an early Sunday morning, but nothing I'd worn in the past together was clean. So, I stole my sister's idea and changed it up a bit. :D She wore this same navy blue maxi with the burgundy cardigan last week, so I went for the black this week. We sure have gotten our $8 worth out of these cardigans, ha. I pulled my littlest sister's belt off the rack and liked how it looked to help with the pouf factor. It was kind of a "auto-pilot" morning and I wasn't thinking too much, so somehow before I knew what I was doing, I had curled my hair a different way than I normally do-- wrapping the hair from the root to the tip around the barrel of the curling iron. It was kind of untamed looking, so I pulled it up in a ribbon and chose a classy hat for my headcovering because I couldn't find my black scarf. :P
My shoes I chose because I didn't want my suede shoes getting wet in the rain, and I wore green tights because they were my warmest and most comfortable pair. 
Why do I go on and on about how I just went with what I had and didn't stress? Because modest dressing does get easier! We all have our particularly hard moments, but in general, stress does no good. Knowing how each piece you have fits and moves and looks goes a long way to pulling together outfits in a jiffy that you may have never tried. Also, I could have thrown this outfit out for a number of silly reasons (copying my sister, not flattering, etc), but I didn't because those reasons were self conscious and I needed to help the rest of my family get ready. :) Relax. Go with the flow of the day.

Dress: JCPenny's, $15
Cardigan: F21, $8
Belt: Borrowed
Hat: Target, $20
Shoes: Walmart: $15
Heart necklace: Borrowed

Whatcha think? Does dressing get easier? Have an awesome week! Hopefully I'll see y'all again before the weekend!

Pin It


30 comments :

  1. I absolutely adore the dress with the belted cardigan! I have not been able to find any decent maxi dresses at retail stores though. I am happy for you and your sister find that gem of one!

    I agree so neat how the Old testament and the new go together and how all the prophecies have been fulfilled. It still boggles my mind! Praise God for Jesus coming and dying and rising from the grave to save our souls.

    God bless!
    Rebecca

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this outfit! And, "Auto-Pilot" Sunday mornings happen occasionally around here... ;) The curls look almost Taylor Swift-esque (Not that I know much about her, though).

    The black accessories add the perfect classy touch, to the blue maxi.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ohhh! you look so lovely in blue :) Love how you did your hair as well!

    I wanted to add that I really, *REALLY* enjoy reading your blog ~~ in fact, I love it sooo much that I decided to make a blog of my own! :) :) Thank you for being a lovely, modest, Christ-like example to young ladies everywhere!!! <3 <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are beautiful as always. The blue dress looks stunning! Thank you for being such a great example, to all the girls trying to dress for the lord.
    E.R.S.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I LOVE this outfit and your hair!!! Dressing modestly definitely gets easier! I used to be so self-conscious of the stares I'd get and I just felt uncomfortable in skirts and dresses, but it's gotten a lot more natural now! I feed goats, horses and dogs out on our little farm in long skirts and I feel comfortable, which is something I never thought I'd be able to do. I do ride horses in jeans, though. Haha! I get in an auto-pilot mode a lot, some outfits I wear so much I look at them and I'm just like, "Oh blah, this again?" Haha! Also, super tired of this Tennessee weather! I want Spring, not snow! Thankfully it didn't stick to the ground where I live. :P
    Kalin from http://modestyismypolicy.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a cute combination! Do you think you could wear a shirt over top of that dress and it would look fine? I've seen some people do that with maxi dresses that are immodest or just to mix their wardrobe up a bit. Your hair looks really cute! You should leave those curls down because they are very pretty. I do those kind of curls pretty much every time I curl my hair. I think dressing modestly does get easier when you realize that not every outfit you pick is going to be perfect. It also gets easier when you remind yourself why your doing it.
    Cassia

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely! Your hairstyle is gorgeous and the heart necklace is adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That dress is super cute! LOVE this look, as always, Olivia!
    Hmm...I'm not sure how to answer your question! Some days it's super easy, some days, not so much! I have a really hard time (as I'm sure you've gathered from reading my blog!) during the hottest Summer months. During the Winter I'm okay, I think because a lot of my clothes don't look good without some type of layering-which I can't/won't do very much in the Summer! I've been trying to mentally prepare myself for this Summer-clothes wise-trying to think through how to keep dressing in my skirts and look decent (I relied heavily on my shorts last year, I'd really like to wear my skirts as much as I can before I start work).
    Anyway, huge rambling comment! ;)
    Have a great day,
    Natasha
    A Modest Fashion Blog:
    www.natashaatkerson.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very Classy! I love the belted cardigan look but I haven't been brave enough to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That dress is so beautiful! Love the long length and how you paired it with the cardigan. =) Blessings!! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Elizabeth,
      Did you close down your blog? I can't seem to find it.
      -Alison

      Delete
  11. I love your dress and how your hair ribbon matches it perfectly. =) You look amazing!
    ~Callie
    www.creationsbycallie.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. THIS is one AMAZING dress and cardigan! I love it! Your hat really finishes the pretty touches!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very cute dress! you are so pretty! Also I just wanted to tell you how much I like your blog--it's so awesome to find a fashion blog thats very centered on modesty!

    http://findingmyinspiration.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  14. This dress is so incredible, i adore it. Love your hat and the style too..:)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your sister is a great inspiration, from what we can see here ! I love the idea of belting a flowy cardi...I own a grey one and have to give a try to my belts ;-) I love the ribbon in your hair, such a neat way to give a final touch to a hairstyle.
    My clothing hasn't been a huge problem since highschool (before, that's another story, I was clueless and would just take to firt item on the pile ^^). I've had periods (during the 2 first years of college, I was crazy with shirts and had as much as 30 different button-ups...So I would pair a classic skirt with any of the shirts...Then after my stay in the US I slowly understood that on can look classy without a button up... And my wardrobe was enriched with nice tops. I'm definitly not really bold when it come to choosing patterns/colors so I can easily pair things together...And right now I'm enjoying a lot my new destination skirt, which is perfect for the days I'm working at my chemistry lab (since I'm not allowed to wear the thin kind of tights - they're flammable and would burn) because of its length !
    It's getting long so I'll stop here...And get back to work ! Have a great day Olivia !

    ReplyDelete
  16. I really, REALLY love that dress! You are so wonderful at throwing together the cutest outfits!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your hair looks adorable and I love your dress!

    ReplyDelete
  18. That is such a cute outfit! Love the belt!And the dress, shoes, hat everything.
    Claire

    ReplyDelete
  19. Not flattering? This is a beautiful outfit! I wish I owned it, haha! :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Cute outfit! I've been wondering for a while now if your hats etc. where head coverings. It's nice to see someone taking the Bible for what it says. For being relatively new to the head covering world myself, it's really encouraging to see that it can be done with out it looking like a billboard screaming "YOOHOO MY HEAD'S COVERED!!! They're always tasteful and feminine. Thanks. I enjoy reading your blog ( the sewing one too!)

    Joanna H.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I have to say, the bow is a great fashion choice. It's understated, but very eye catching all the same.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi there! Love your hair. Wish I could get mine to curl with just a curling iron but I usually have to wet set it! I was just wondering - do you have any tips on what kind of scarves to use for headcoverings? I'm finding it diffcult to find some that look nice and not "old lady"ish, if you know what I mean.
    Thanks!
    Amanda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey! Scarves can be tricky, but I've found that straight ones- aka not square- are the best for headcoverings that don't look matronly. I've bought all of mine at thrift stores, but I bet you could find some pretty ones on Etsy. Hope that maybe helps! Blessings!

      Delete
  23. What a cute dress! I think dressing gets easier in general, but then sometimes I feel like I get into some boring ruts and need more inspiration. Which is where your blog and others like it come in! So thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  24. i love the bow in the hair with the black hat it kinda remindes me of a english ridding outfit :) :) OSM

    ReplyDelete
  25. I normally wouldn't wear a dress like that, it just isn't something I would pick out, but that it really beautiful! :-) Very cute style, Olivia!

    ReplyDelete
  26. wow. i have to say your hair looks effortless and uh-mazing!

    ReplyDelete
  27. WOW, I love your dress!!!

    Grace P.

    ReplyDelete

Fresh Modesty is fashion blog which encourages girls to "Dress outside your box, but inside His Book!" I allow anonymous comments so those without accounts can comment, but I would really appreciate it if you would identify yourself by some form of a name. :) Thank you for taking the time to comment!