I've got a headache that feels like there's a screwdriver going from one side of my head to the other. Nope, life ain't perfect. How boring would that be? So I'm wearing a comfy outfit today.
Another simple black dress today from that same thrift store stop. This easy dress is linen and obviously needed ironing. But ain't nobody got time for dat.
Dress: Our Thrift Store ($7)
Shirt: Our Thrift Store ($3.50)
Leggings: Walmart ($5)
Scarf: Street vendor in Paris, France (€4)
Flip Flops: Sears ($7)
- Leaving at 5:15 am but not getting more than 3 miles from home for the last time until 6 because you kept forgetting things.
- Being the photographer positioned behind "the alter"... meaning you crouched behind the pulpit, snuck around the piano, ran across the stage during the prayers, and captured the wedding ceremony up close. It was so much fun, but I was paranoid about being distracting. I'd look out at the people occasionally and see several looking at me. *blush* At least I got some great pictures.
- Standing talking to the amazing cupcake maker and picking up a GF lemon-cream-filled cupcake. They have about 2.5 inches of stacked icing on top, which is a little hard to eat gracefully. You ask how one goes about eating such a mountainous creation and she has no advice. :-/ ;) You would have abstained from eating it for fear of looking like Timon and Pumba slurping bugs, but it was just so delicious looking, you are willing to sacrifice all social standing for the joy of tasting the lemony goodness.
- Even more hilarious than watching peoples faces as you devoured that cupcake is watching someone else try to eat one while driving in an unfamiliar town. Messy-eater Olympic torch passed on.
- Getting stir crazy in the car. I've gotten stir crazy working on the computer before, but never on such a relatively short (7.5 hour) road trip. My poor companions heard much singing, saw me dance around gas pumps, and were asked "random questions to ask someone" thanks to Google. Good thing I had the whole backseat to myself, too, cause I was all over the place.
- Looking like a pack-horse with all your camera equipment and "man, it's cold up here!" gear.
- Mixing up your vitamin C water from powders in the car, using your hand as a funnel to get it into water bottles.
- Losing track of time and accidentally staying at someone's house until nearly midnight.
- Trying to take the truck to the mechanic's (did I ever mention that I backed into the ground and smashed the tailpipe against the tire? And then hung on the end of a 16 ft 2x4" to make it driveable? Must have slipped my mind last week.) but not knowing where to go. So, you drive all the way through the small town, realize you must have passed it, and turn around. You're out of GPS signal (yes, its possible), so you pull over and ask two rough looking guys who are standing at a thrift? all purpose? 4th hand? store just staring at cars as they go past. "I'm looking for Troy's." "Toys?" "Chewy's?" They look at each other. "Oh, Troy's." "Yes, is that around?" They both just lift their arms slowly and point... across the street. "OH! I didn't see it there..." and you bounce your blonde head and long denim skirt back into the smashed up, super loud (exhaust was disconnected from the manifold on one side, so the engine runs super rough) truck with rotting hay in the back and scoot across the road, trying not to let the bald tires spin on the gravel.
- Having "Can You Feel The Love Tonight?" stuck in your head alllll weekend, but only knowing a line or two. Just hanging out with friends and blurting out, "If he falls in love tooooonight, it can be assumed" whenever there's a silence turns out can kind of make people tired of hearing it. :P
- My sister making gluten-free funnel cakes for breakfast on a Monday. That's exactly what I needed after losing so much sleep over the weekend. I've been snacking on the left overs all week-- I warm them up in a bowl and put chocolate chips, nuts, and banana on top, then pour milk over it all. Best "cereal" ever.
- Having Pandora on car trips. 4 hours of Disney songs for the win!
- Deciding we all needed cheered up after a "send off" party for a good friend, so eight of us young adults piled into a suburban and descended on the closest soda machine, paying in quarters. Laughing and singing and reminiscing and teasing. First time I've sipped some Sprite in probably 4 or 5 years and it used to be my favorite. It's so awesome to be a part of such a close community of believers that when one of us moves away for work, we all hurt. I've never seen so many of us crying at once-- even though we're super happy for him, too.
- Falling asleep in the sunshine in the front seat of the truck (yay bench seats and the forethought to bring pillows) while you wait for your sister to have her piano lesson. So what if you get a red forehead. :P
- The honor of being with the crying bride the last few moments before her Father comes to fetch her to walk her down the isle. I can't imagine the emotions and all I could do was hug her.
- Getting to spend every moment for 91 hours with two of my best friends and not growing tired of them. Not sure if that feeling was mutual, but I sure enjoyed myself! ;)
- A tweet of Paul David Tripp's this morning: "Deer don't gather for the bi-annual long-jump contest, because they aren't hardwired for glory. But we are." Makes me think.
- Finding out your newlywed friend is expecting! And so begins *another* new-to-me season of life-- peers with kids!
- Staying up late with friends who have known each other for a decade and looking at their old photos and hearing their stories together. Most groups of friends would probably find this boring, but these folks are like family now and it's like hearing family history.
- Getting spandex in the mail! Y'all know what that means?
- The peace of God. In ups and downs and ins and outs, I have a joy which I seriously do not deserve.
- I'm sure there are a ton more "awesomes" I could list, but this post has already taken me long enough! So long, in fact, that 3 cups of coffee cured my headache and I feel like going running... except that I have a head cold and those two really don't mix.
Maybe I'll take a nap. That'd probably be better for me... or I'll play with this fabulous white and plum striped material draped over my dress form....
How has your week been? What friendships are you most thankful for?