Monday, April 29, 2013

Busy in Brown Stripes

HAPPY MONDAY!! :D The sun is shining, the chores are done, the house is clean, and I'm so encouraged from a great Lord's Day yesterday. However, I have about 3000 photos to get edited today and my computer time is limited, so I have to make this short.

 My 5 year old sister was my photographer yesterday, so these are definitely not the best shots on the blog. ;) I wore a combination of the pieces I made for my trip last weekend-- didn't mean for them to work together, but they do! Contrary to what it looks like on the computer, the strips on the shirt are actually brown.

I'll hopefully be posting about these projects on my sewing blog at some point this week. :) 
Shirt: Made by me
Skirt: Made by me
Boots: Shoe Carnival
Hat: Gift? Thrift store? I don't remember.
Pearls: Gift

 We had a guest elder preach yesterday and I was very encouraged by the sermon. He spoke on Matthew 18:1-10 and how we often push little children away from the faith by not including them in the things of God, when the Bible clearly says, "Let the little children come to me."... the greek word He uses is "infant". There is no minimum age for saving faith! Also, instead of telling the children to be like adults in having to express their faith, Christ tells us to be like the children in the way we believe. It was also encouraging because I've really been struggling to be kind to my younger siblings lately. But Jesus says, "whoever gives a drink to the least of these gives it to me." I must be asked 30 times a day to get someone a glass of water... I need to remember that it is not in vain and that serving my siblings is the best way to serve my God.


Alright, have an awesome day! How was your Lord's Day? What was your sermon about?

Pin It


23 comments :

  1. I love how encouraging you are, Olivia! Your posts always make me smile. And tell your little sister that she did a great job with the photos. :)
    Also, I wanted to ask if you ever received some of the questions I submitted through the "Ask Olivia" form? I think they might have gotten lost. :( Anyways, they were: 1) What kind of camera do you use? I just love the clarity of your pictures.
    And 2) You mentioned naturally lightening your hair this summer. How do you do it, and do you think it would work with dark hair? Or is it only best for blondes?

    Thanks for taking time out of your busy day to read this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey! Thanks! You're questions haven't gotten lost... just haven't had a chance to write any answer posts lately! But, I'll go ahead and answer:)
    1)Nikon D3100 with a 50mm 1.8 lens
    2) I've used lemon juice and hydrogen peroxide in spray bottles, soak your hair, and then sit in the sun for a few hours-- but I'm not sure which works better. If my hair were any darker I would not try it-- often times hair comes out orange instead of blonde. :-/ You could test the ends of your hair maybe?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Olivia! Especially on the orange hair thing. :) I will definitely have to try it sometime this summer.

      Delete
  3. I really love the fabric of the shirt. So pretty and feminine !
    My sunday was great : the sermon was on II Corinthians 3 (my dad preached) and then we had a relaxed afternoon at home before going back to church for the Bible study. And I spend the night ironing skirts...Now my closet is full and I have to think about which skirt to wear in the morning...This didn't happen in a while ;-)
    Have a great week !

    ReplyDelete
  4. I didn't make it to church this week; I was sick. Who was the guest elder?

    ReplyDelete
  5. So pretty...l'm totally pinning this!
    Yesterday our elder spoke on 1 Timothy chapter 1, about vain janglings. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. We had a baptismal service yesterday. SO exciting to see people publicly committing their lives to Christ! :)
    Kara B.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love that top! The way the stripes create a sort of square pattern really draws the eye, and of course, I love the lace as well!

    That sounds like a wonderful sermon. My uncle Dan, who teaches New Testament Bible History gave my class a similar sounding lecture in class just recently. He made the point that even though the little children might be distracting during the service, and might sing loudly and off-key during the hymns, we shouldn't let things like our personal annoyance blind us into pushing them away from the faith, as the disciples tried to do! I know that my little cousin has often annoyed me during church because he sings SO loudly, but he's not doing it to be obnoxious--he's doing it because he loves The Lord. It should be a wonderful thing, not something that makes me want to turn around and shush him. "out of the mouth of babes and sucklings, Thou hast perfected praise" (Matt. 21:16).
    Thank you for the wonderful reminder, Olivia!

    ~Vicki
    Decked Out in Ruffles

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the outfit. This past Sunday at my home church we celebrated our 16th anniversary. It was great.

    ReplyDelete

  9. My computer wacked out, Not sure if my other comment went through?
    And now I can't remember everything I said!
    But anyway...that skirt is adorable!
    Natasha
    A Modest Fashion Blog:
    www.natashaatkerson.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. That top is astoundingly gorgeous! I neeeed to make one.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think the the edging on that skirt is beautiful!

    I have only been a reader of your blog for about a month now, but so far these pictures are some of the best I have seen! You may want to re-think what you said about your lil' sis taking those pictures because she did a fabulous job:)!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your little sister did a great job!
    Thanks for sharing your sermon again!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Olivia! How can I communicate to you in private? I would like to share something personal and know your opinion as a christian... thank you :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! You can email me at freshmodesty (at) gmail (dot) com. I'll warn you though- I'm very tardy at replying! Blessings!

      Delete
  14. I love the pics Olivia! Your sister did a good job ;). ~ Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  15. What pattern did you use for this shirt?

    Thanks,
    Allison

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I traced the pattern from a shirt I already had; the one in this post: http://freshmodesty.blogspot.com/2012/08/daily-makeup-routine.html

      Delete
  16. It there any way you can give us a sort of pattern for the shirt? I absolutely love it!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll hopefully at some point post some directions on my sewing blog!

      Delete

Fresh Modesty is fashion blog which encourages girls to "Dress outside your box, but inside His Book!" I allow anonymous comments so those without accounts can comment, but I would really appreciate it if you would identify yourself by some form of a name. :) Thank you for taking the time to comment!