Monday, June 10, 2013

Promises With Emma

Hey y'all! How are you doing? I feel like I've kind of fallen off the face of the earth with this blogging thing, even though it's only been 6 days since I posted, lol. I had plans to do at least a FoFM last week, but not having a computer of my own made that kind of complicated when my family members really needed theirs. If you've sent me one and haven't heard back, don't fret! I will get back to you eventually. But, I'm here now, with my sister!

You'll see my outfit from church later in the week, so I thought I'd share my 17 year old (well, almost-- her birthday is Wednesday!) sister's outfit with you. Her name is Emma and she is the most amazing person ever. Just ask anyone.

As we've been studying the book of Romans in church, I find my perspective being continually humbled. Yesterday we looked at Romans 4:13-17 in which Paul is talking about the promise to Abraham in relation to the law of God. It was reiterated that we are justified by faith (as opposed to works) for several reasons. The obvious first reason is because it brings glory to God, but other outworkings are that we cannot boast when we do not save ourselves (Romans 3:27), there is no individual excluded, that is, Jews and gentiles can both be saved (Ro. 3:28-30), and justification by faith establishes the law (Ro. 3:31). If we were to be justified by the law, the law's standard would have to be lowered because we are not able to attain perfection in ourselves. But, hypothetically, if the standard was lowered, that would overthrow the whole law itself. However, Someone did fulfill the whole law perfectly.
Because Jesus met every jot and tittle, the problem is not with the law. The problem is with us. We must have faith, because we cannot do it in ourselves.

Slight side note here that I found helpful to my own study: there are two kinds of promises- conditional and unconditional. Conditional being, "If you love Me and keep My commandments...". Within unconditional, there are some with which no faith is required, because it WILL be fulfilled. For example, "I will come to judge the world on the last day." That will happen whether anyone believes it or not. Then there are unconditional promises that assume the person's faith in the process. The eight promises given to Abraham in Genesis 12, 15, and 17 are all unconditional promises with assumed faith; "I will make your descendants as many as the stars in the sky." This is the point Paul makes in Romans 4:13, "The promise to Abraham and his offspring...did not come through the law but through the righteousness of faith." There are so many promises available to us as we believe. It's awesome.


Also, the law cannot flex; it is impersonal. It's like a mirror, it simply reflects the dirty face that deserves condemnation and wrath, it cannot clean that face. It just registers, shows us, reveals our sin. As much as we try, looking to the law will never clean our dirt. Only Christ can do that.
When we understand grace, it makes our salvation not about us. Romans 11:36 tells us exactly why we are saved, why He has determined to call us to Himself, why He is working so hard on our lives: "For from Him and through Him and to Him are all things. To Him be glory forever. Amen."
Realizing this, that it is God who does e.v.e.r.y.t.h.i.n.g, we have a much different perspective than when we make our salvation about us. Instead of needing to bolster our lives with good works to meet the standard of the law, we realize that grace comes from above. We will never meet that bar on our own. The promises that God will fulfill then are not based on us and our assumed faith. They are directly based on the character of God and His doing.
We can tell we believe too much in our ability to fulfill the law when we look down on our neighbor who is not doing as we do. All too often we forget His incredible grace.

Emma's outfittttt: 
Cardigan: Forever21
Tank: JCP
Skirt: Handmedown
Shoes: Thrift Store
Jewelry: Gifts
I hope y'all have an incredible week! Check back on Thursday for some bright sunshine! ;) :D
What was your sermon about?

Pin It


20 comments :

  1. Such a cute outfit - love the colour combinations! x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, lovely! Thanks for sharing Emma's outfit! Give her my birthday wishes. :)
    BTW, what's her skirt made of (it lies so well and looks so pressed!)?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Her skirt is made of a slightly heavy twill. It really does lie so well and I wish the skirt fit me, ha!

      Delete
    2. Ha! Thanks. :) I was planning on making a long twill skirt for this upcoming winter, but now I'm wondering if I'll be making a shorter one like this sooner than that!
      Thanks to both of you.

      Mia
      (btw, if my other comment went through, sorry, it was the wrong account :)

      Delete
  3. Wow, I love it! So stylish, yet modest! I love the skirt!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Emma's outfit is beautiful. It's soft and very feminine. And i love "color pops," it makes dressing so much fun! :)

    And Happy Birthday, Emma. Hope your day is absolutely lovely! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. what a lovely post! you and your sister look so much alike! lovely :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. She looks a little bit like you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Super cute, you ladies are lucky to have each other to share the closet with! ;)
    My little sister and I are about the same size, however we have totally different styles! So we don't share very often (translated, she won't let me use her clothes very often... LOL!)
    My sermon was on Galatians 1 the main point I got from it was that I need to go about my Bible reading differently, approaching it as something I do because I love God and want to spend time with Him, not because it's my "duty" or a task to check off my list.
    Happy (early) birthday Emma!
    Natasha
    A Modest Fashion Blog:
    www.natashaatkerson.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Pretty outfit Emma! I'm turning seventeen soon too (in two weeks, that is) :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I agree with she does look like you. Love the outfit!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love it! Very cute. :) lucy90

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy Birthday, Emma! I wish you the best one ever. And, Olivia, I like this kind of Friends of Fresh Modesty post; you should feature your beautiful sisters more often! :D Have a great day!
    Alicia Joy

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lovely outfit, Emma! I really like that skirt.(:
    As always, I love reading your sermon notes, Olivia! I'm beginning to think I should bring a notebook or something with me to church on Sundays and make notes or outlines of the sermon...I know that I remember better if I'm taking notes, so I know it would definitely be beneficial to me.(: the sermon I heard for this week was the second of a series on Elijah. My pastor focused this week on his faith in God when he was sent to the wilderness and how that faith remained, even when the brook that was bringing him water dried up. He then tied that into how we should have that firm, childlike faith in our own lives, even in (especially in) times of adversity.

    ~Vicki
    Decked Out in Ruffles

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very classy outfit Emma! Simple & Cute!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Have a happy 17th birthday, Emma!I'll be turning seventeen in a month.
    Your outfit looks so pretty. I like the colors.

    -Mary

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love the shoes and skirt Emma! Great job! ~ Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ohhh, I really love Emma's outfit, especially the skirt! Wish her a late happy birthday for me! P.S. What style of skirt is that (eg circle, three-quarter circle, gored, etc.)? Again I love it!
    Nichole

    ReplyDelete
  17. Once again I am very blessed by your sermon summary... I encourage you to have another blog for all your spiritual notes!

    I am happy to meet your sweet sister, too.

    Admiring your maxi skirt -- is it knit and perhaps from kohl's?

    ReplyDelete

Fresh Modesty is fashion blog which encourages girls to "Dress outside your box, but inside His Book!" I allow anonymous comments so those without accounts can comment, but I would really appreciate it if you would identify yourself by some form of a name. :) Thank you for taking the time to comment!