Monday, July 8, 2013

Access // in Blue + Natural

Hey y'all! How are you this fine Monday? I'm feeling much better than I was all last week, so that is a huge praise. We had a great day yesterday at church-- wonderful worship, yummy, overflowing lunch, encouraging presentation by missionaries, and hours and hours of uplifting fellowship until after bedtime. :)

We continued to study Romans chapter five in the sermon yesterday, this time moving on to verse two. :)  "our Lord Jesus Christ, through whom also we have access by faith into this grace in which we stand, and rejoice in hope of the glory of God." 
We spent some time in the Old Testament, pouring over Leviticus and the tabernacle scenes and realizing how unworthy, unable to approach the presence of the Lord in the Holy of Holies we, or even the high priest, really are. Even the priest chosen to make atonement before God once a year had to carry with him the blood of a sacrifice and a smokey veil as he went behind the curtain into the Holy Place, lest he die. He did not have full, direct access to God, he needed mediation.
This verse in Romans is telling us that those of us who have been saved now have access to God. Because Christ has paid the sacrifice for us (that is finished, we have been justified -past tense-), we now are able to go to God through the veil. Think of the bread at communion. Think of the broken loaf. Through brokenness we are shown Christ.

When we do something deliberately we know is wrong, do we shrink back from God, worried we are not worthy to approach Him? No, we should come boldly before His throne, full of repentance, because we have direct access to the Justifier. We can't clean ourselves up to get back into God's presence- He promises to cleanse us when we come. We are no longer in the slave market of sin. When we retreat from being bold before God, we in essence retreat towards enmity with Him. The transaction is done, between Christ and the Father, the sacrifice was made. So, we always have access to Him, in spite of our sins and failures. In fact, while we were still a sinner, Christ died for us. No matter what we do, He paid the price.

In our falleness, we may think of this as a "free pass" to do whatever we want. You know, 'cause God will forgive us. Paul goes on in chapter six to kick this idea out the door so, no, we should not feel the liberty to sin. :) We need to press on towards the mark, remember our position before the Lord, and use our access to Him boldly, praying often and without fear. :)

My older followers (time-wise... not age-wise... its confusing) may remember this maxi dress from this past March... or my realllllly faithful followers may remember it from Easter 2012. I love it because it's so easy, flattering, and comfortable. I knew I needed to style it differently than I have here on the blog before, so I went with a "fun summer" look. :) One of the perks of blogging is that it forces me to be creative every week getting ready for church-- which I love! I feel like it helps me put more deliberate thought into how I'm dressing for my King each week.

I tried to tie all the different colors together-- hat and belt match (and earrings, sort of), shoes, halftee, and black flower match, and nails and hat trim match. :D

I just found some fabric and flowers stuffed in with our hair accessories and safety pinned it to the hat.
Dress: JCPenny's ($15)
Hat: Sears? JCPenny's? I'm not real sure... (~$10)
Belt: Charity Store ($2)
Earrings: Charity Store ($2)
Shoes: Charity Store ($2)
Nail polish: Wet N' Wild ($2)


Here's a picture that shows my hair feather, ha! I love doing out-of-the-ordinary things with my hair because I get bored doing the same 'dos over and over, yet I don't have time to try out new styles, etc. So, I love to crimp feathers into my hair. Right now I have two- a long one behind my ear attached near my scalp and another on the end of a tiny braid, shown here. They are not very noticeable, but they make me happy and add some interest to hairstyles. :) I think these two have been in for a month or two. And, I've heard your requests for a video on how I curl my hair-- I'll have to see if I can do that sometime soon. :) It's really really easy.

How was your Lord's Day yesterday? What did you wear? What was your sermon about? Do you go boldly before the throne of God, or are you more hesitant? Have a great day!!

Pin It


24 comments :

  1. Lovely! The hat gives the outfit a wonderful summer feel.
    I can't wait for the video on how you do your hair! :)
    ~Sarah♥
    cutecombinations.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Are both of your feathers on the same side of your head or on different sides?

    A small braid on one side of my head (in an unobvious spot, like yours) is my 'summer hairstyle'. I leave it in all summer long :) As soon as it gets warm in goes the braid!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're on the same side! I love little braids-- I think they break up the monotony of one type of hair really well. :)

      Delete
  3. So glad that you are feeling better! I have been praying for you!
    I love your outfit! I also wore my straw hat and curled my hair!And decorated my hat to match my green skirt and cream colored shirt.
    Our pastor was out of town this week end so we had one our elders fill in.He is more of evangelist than a preacher so it was more of a pep talk than a sermon. :) Still encouraging though!
    blessings!
    ~C

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is not a dress I'd think of off the bat, but I have to say you've changed my mind on the shape! It looks great on you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOW! I love everything about this outfit!
    The curls, feathers, ruffles, Belt, colors, dress, hat...! You pull off that hat wonderfully!
    Keep up the good work! Your posts are like candy to everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, This is what I wore on Sunday:
    http://shiningarrows.nzbee.com/?p=3448

    Sayna

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice I love it! The hat looks great! Had a wonderful Sunday. I wore a pink dress with (tannish/goldish idk) shoes and a matching necklace, bracelet and earring set that my grandmother made. Many people said that the color looked great on me. Don't tell anyone one but I got it at a Goodwill outlet and it's actually a maternity dress but you can't tell! :-P But again great Lord's day for me ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. My Sunday at church was interesting. I don't know if I went bodly or hesitant. I've been to a non-denom church for about 3 years, and for the past 3 weekends I've been attending a Catholic one (I grew up Catholic and for marriage concerns, etc, I decided to "try it", but that's another story). Anyway, you have reading your blog since before I had a blog and I really liked that you took notes in church (something most Catholics rarely do!). I was inspired to try it at the Catholic church this Sunday...at first, I was hesitant. I must confess I was a little ashamed. Absolutely no one was taking notes. Then, I felt THE tug inside me. Ah, He is so funny sometimes! Long story short, I ended up taking notes. I want to come to Him and my faith... bold, fearless! The person sitting beside me couldn't stop staring. ;-) Extremely long post. Needless to say, you inspire many young girls, and older ones, like me. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't worry if done people stare, Gabriela! I am a Catholic and sometimes I take notes on sermons too; I mean, if God is speaking to you through the priest, then you obviously want to remember and be able to go back over what struck you! :-). Do it for God, girl!
      I'll be praying for you, and I hope you receive peace and joy in your spiritual life! :-)
      -Margaret Mary

      Delete
  9. Yay! I'm so excited to get a tutorial on how you curl your hair! I love your dress!

    ReplyDelete
  10. super duper cute. the purple ribbon/fabric goes GREAT with the blue :D

    ReplyDelete
  11. This outfit is so pretty and summery -- love it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's a great idea Olivia! I like how you did your hair! I straighten my bangs, they curl like yours only naturally and don't look good with my now wavy, almost straight hair. It was the gel I was using that made my hair curly! :)))) I like that. Now...I don't use it. The hat is super fun too!
    Have a great day too!

    ReplyDelete
  13. That's and awesome outfit, Olivia!
    You look like you stepped off the set of Anne Of Green Gables! So beautiful!
    I've never seen a hat like that in a store, they're usually "blah" or totally hideous! =)

    Excellent observations on your sermon. It can be so hard for me not to "punish" myself after doing something I shouldn't have (or not doing something I should've). It can be hard to grasp that God loves us no matter what! On the flip side, we do of course have to be careful not to take advantage of that and just sin, simply because we know we'll be forgiven.
    And let me see...well, you saw what I wore to church on my blog and I didn't get to hear the sermon, I was bouncing an upset baby outside in the hall.
    Keep shining,
    Natasha
    A Modest Fashion Blog:
    www.natashaatkerson.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. This outfit is so pretty! And your hair looks super cute :)

    ~Molly~
    mollyslittlecorner.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. Very cute, classy outfit! Since I had to work in nursery, I wore jeans, white heels, and a patterened pink and white blouse with a flower statement necklace.

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is like, my favourite dress of yours I've seen on this blog. You are so pretty and stylish and pull off hats so well. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love this dress! It's so versatile and cute. You look beautiful.

    xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  18. I absolutely LOVE this dress! I so wish I could find one similar! :) I shared this post on my blog today! >http://whatsoever-is-lovely.blogspot.com/2013/07/lovely-links.html<

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love that dress! I love blue... :)
    ~Naomi~

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi I am a new reader. I love your outfits. I made paper doll clothes heavly inspired by your outfits.
    ~R
    PS- I am 13

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hello! I've got a quick question that doesn't really apply to the post (sorry). You mentioned you purchased your denim material at fashionfabricsclub.com. I recently (alright, maybe a couple months ago) purchased some fabric from them and had to return the denim because it was very inky and smelled rather strongly. Have you experienced that and, if so, how did you get around it? I would like to make some more denim skirts, but I can't afford the $12-$19 prices at joanns, so I'm not ready to give up on ffc just yet. Any suggestions?
    Thanks!

    Mia

    ReplyDelete
  22. You look beautiful. Such a lovely feminine dress!

    ReplyDelete

Fresh Modesty is fashion blog which encourages girls to "Dress outside your box, but inside His Book!" I allow anonymous comments so those without accounts can comment, but I would really appreciate it if you would identify yourself by some form of a name. :) Thank you for taking the time to comment!