- Leaving the checkout counter and the lady says, "Appreciate it!" and you respond, "You too!" :-}
- Finding that a huge nasty spider had built a tunnel web inside your backpack and tennis shoe overnight while the backpack sat creepily close to where you slept. It was super fast, so you didn't know how to get rid of it... sister to the rescue! She grabs your backpack and dumps it's entire contents out onto the balcony, then finds and squashes the spider. My hero.
- Having a cold cough and instead of sitting 4 rows back like usual, your family sits in the second row back, closer to the air vent that makes you hack real bad. Trying to decide if it would be more disruptive to get up and leave or stay there coughing is a hard decision.
- Sitting in the back of your van in the zoo parking lot eating your picnic dinner (salmon and rice with roasted broccoli and garlic no less...) and a carload of "tough" guys go cruising by in their Lincoln towncar. They look at you as they pass by, but forget to look ahead... and totally bottom out on a speed bump. :D
- It's 6:55 am. You are all dressed up for a vintage birthday party and you need to be leaving the driveway at 7 because it is a 2.5 hour drive. You realize the stylish 15 passenger van you are driving is rather dirty (especially the windshield) and that it needs washed before you leave. So, you whip out the hose, a bucket, and a rag, throw off your slippy-slidey flip flops, and start furiously scrubbing the massive vehicle in your party dress, curled hair, and 20's style headband. Your mom comes out and gets in the van so as soon as you're done y'all can leave. By 7:08 you are nearly finished and your mom is repeating "hurry!" about every 30 seconds. One last section: the front. Being less than 5'2", reaching the windshield has always been a challenge and one you've never actually tried on the van. You hose it down, then precariously and hurriedly grab whatever plastic or metal you can find to hang onto and hoist yourself up onto the hood. Anyone familiar with passenger vans knows that this is quite an awkward position to be in because of the slope of it and the small depth... not to mention that it was wet and you were putting all your body weight into scrubbing the nasty bug goo off the windshield. You finally get it clean enough and begin your decent. The lowest part of the hood is level with your shoulder when you're on the ground, so you try to figure out how to ease yourself down. The bumper is also slanted and wet, so you can't count on it. So, you grab the top of the hood (bottom of the windshield) with the tips of your fingers and try to slide down. Your foot reaches the bumper and you try to put a little weight on it so you can re-adjust your hurting fingers... but alas, in a split second your foot slips and lands on the edge of the bucket of water and you squeal, tumbling onto the concrete pad into the gritty puddle, landing totally sprawled on the ground, bruising your hip and soaking your party dress. Your mom, in the meantime, watches you disappear off the hood and hears you scream, and is obviously a little concerned and amused. You pick yourself up, run up two flights of stairs to get a towel and dash out to the driver's seat, grabbing your flip flops on the way. You pull out of the driveway at 7:12. Thankfully you dry by the time you get to the party and no one was the wiser. Except for you, who will use a step stool next time.
- Having to completely cover your skin while going on a 5 mile walk with friends so as not to suffer from side effects of medication. Jeans, tennis shoes, tunic, jacket with super long sleeves, and cowgirl hat. And sunscreen. It "felt like" 101* outside according to the weather channel.
- Finding a dying bat on the floorboard of the truck. Ew.
- Going over to visit a friend who had her appendix removed and while you were there with your sister, another friend and her mom and a guest showed up, then another friend and his girlfriend. Gotta love unplanned parties and the fact that the guest fell asleep while he was sitting there. ;)
- Movie nights with friends. The Princess Bride, anyone?
- Sunsets with fog. I mean, seriously. I ran out to do an errand one night last week as the sun was level with the fog, the sky pink and blue and dark purple, and the air super heavy and warm. I rounded a bend in the road and lost my breath it was so beautiful. I thank God all the time for the intense beauty that surrounds me out here in the country.
- Attending the 13th birthday party of a Fresh Modesty reader! Her mom invited me to surprise her at her party and I had such a great time and finally had an excuse to wear a "vintage" headband! ;) Check out FreshModesty's Instagram!
- The support of friends and family when you are going through rough times and reminders that you have so much to be thankful for.
- Playing dress up with my 6 year old sister. Those silly clothes hold so many memories for me!
- Four-wheeling with good friends! And seeing rainbows while dodging rainclouds on totally perfect Sunday evenings.
- Personal (and really well done) firework shows put on by hilarious friends.
- Fresh Modesty now has advertising! (finally, ha! Just could never find the time to set it up) If you'd like to put an ad on my sidebar, I have two options available right now. Here's the page with info. :)
- Spending all day with my daddy building an obstacle course for my siblings. Love creative projects that involve the table saw!
Shirt: Old Navy ($2)
Tank: JCPenny's ($6)
Skirt: Made by me (fabric $10) Get the pattern here!
Earrings: Walmart (3pair for $2.50)
Flip Flops: Charity Store ($2)
Necklace: Borrowed from my sister
What's been awkward or awesome about your week?!