Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Radiant Glory // in Yellow

Hey y'all! Man, just when you think life is going fabulous it sure has a way of bringing you down to earth again, doesn't it? I'm really feeling the effects of my doxycycline meds and have kind of been busy and out of it this week, thus my super off-schedule posting. :-/ I can't be exposed to direct sun at all without my skin hurting like crazy for hours afterwards, so I'm feeling hermit-like and kind of sad, because sunshine is such a joy to experience! I'm being sanctified though, so s'all good, right?
I usually re-read and summarize my notes from the sermon on Monday morning, and they always greatly encourage me and help me through the rough first days of the week, but this week my schedule was out-of-the-ordinary and I'm just now looking at my notes again. Wow, I think my week thus far would have been so much better if I had made time and made myself go over them before now. It astounds me how totally relevant every sermon is to what I'm dealing with at the time.

Our text was the first few verses of Romans 5 again, focusing on the phrase, "...we rejoice in the hope of the glory of God". Christians can be the most guilt-ridden people sometimes. We ask the Lord to show us our sin, but then often we wallow in it and, although we know what Christ did for us, we still have a sense of guilt that can keep us focused horizontally at our lives and not looking heavenward. But, as people who have been totally redeemed, we should remember our new justified state, instead of our condemnation. "The glory of God"-- this phrase is one of the most important in the Bible, yet it is hard to define. Our pastor took us through the Hebrew and Greek definitions of this word, "glory" to help us understand its meaning since we don't have a very good English word that encompasses all it means.
"Kabod" is the Hebrew word. It means heavy, weighty, gravitas. It is worthy, has greatness, and is dense, super full.
"Doxa" is the Greek word for glory. It means radiance and splendor, but in the context of someone's reputation. Intrinsic worth.
When we look at these definitions together, we get a much fuller picture of the weighty splendor of God. The example Pastor used was of a gold storeroom-- maybe you've seen it in a movie- where the explorers happen upon this giant room full of nothing but radiant gold. It is all heavy, full, packed in, but it is shining like the sun and glorious.
The image that came to my mind as I heard these definitions was a view I had seen last week. I went up to my favorite spot on our property just as a storm was rolling in. The sun was setting, the air was hot and heavy- it had gravitas. The clouds were deep, dark, dense, ominous black. I felt like they could fall on me as I laid on the truck roof looking at them. The sun couldn't help but shine through them, though, and there were so many layers of light and clouds and lightning and billowing splendor that I almost couldn't focus on one part at once. It was overwhelmingly beautiful and I was completely in awe. The air pressure was squashing me and the fading light was blinding me. It was so glorious, I can't believe I was allowed to see it.
God's glory is His internal greatness, the sum total of His perfection. His glory is Who He is. No wonder we don't have a word for this in English. ;) Romans 8:30, "Moreover whom He predestined, these He also called; whom He called, these He also justified; and whom He justified, these He also glorified." Catch all the "ed"s of this passage? It is all past tense! We have sinned and fallen short of the glory of God-- yet we have been justified! And can now rejoice in the surety of the glory of God. We can go through life with confident jubilation because our end is assured. What a mighty God we serve.

Y'all may remember this skirt from last month when I did a review of it for Florence Adams. It's very versatile, so I wore it again this week. This is one of my favorite tops; can't believe I've never blogged it before because I wear it all the time! :) Anyway, here is where I got each outfit element and how much I paid:
Shirt/Sweater: Thrift store? ($4?)
Skirt: c/o Florence Adams
Tank: JCPenny's ($6)
Belt: Came with a maxi dress, JCPenny's
Headcovering/scarf: Thrift store (50cents?)
Shoes: Charity store ($2)
Leaf earrings: Charity store ($2)

(These photos are probably going to drive some of you photographers crazy-- sorry about that. Neither me nor my photographer felt well and we had spectators, ha) Alright, y'all have an awesome day, filled with rejoicing in the glory of God!

I'd love to hear how your sermon has impacted your week!
Pin It


35 comments :

  1. Bea-u-ti-ful!!!! Gotta love that shirt! Goes well with your skirt Olivia! I also like your headband. LOL, I hate spectators when my pic is taken!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pretty outfit! And I like the way you curl your hair. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the combo of green and yellow, that's not something I would have thought to do. And the belt adds a nice touch. I hope you feel better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this color combination! Before I got to the end of the post I was thinking "I really like these pictures", haha! ;) Your sister does a very good job! I know what you mean, I don't like spectators while taking/getting pictures either!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So cute! My sister and I have been waiting and waiting for this post! ;-) Hope you don't have to be on that medecine any longer than needed,though not being outside is a good thing here in Michigan right now,unless you are planning to jump into a creek,it was 97 degrees yesterday! We are having a clean-up night at our church later...hopefully we'll be using hoses ALOT! Though currently it is *only* 91 out! ;-) How hot is it out there? ~R.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, yup, sounds like it's summer! It's only 92* here today. Usually this time of year it's in the 100* range, although with humidity it feels that hot. :) Have fun!

      Delete
  6. Cute! I love the colors, so beautiful!

    -Belle

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very bright and vibrant! Like it all!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey, I have a quick question! How'd you keep the headband on? When mine are that far back they slide off-- it drives me crazy, so I never end up wearing them:(

    -Miriam

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It did slide off every once in a while. :) I would have used bobby pins, but I forgot them at home. I tied it just the right size though that it wasn't too hard to keep on. :)

      Delete
  9. I must have missed the post where you got sick and had to start taking that nasty medicine:(

    These are probably my two least favorite colors in the world, yet somehow you make them look lovely put together!

    I hope you feel better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I grew up in Illinois, and I have a similar experience of 'glory' really MEANING something. For me, it's standing in a bare, empty cornfield in the middle of January on a sunny day. The weight of the sky itself is immense, and yet the sun is everywhere shining on all these bare half-stalks left behind by the combines. The one thing I really miss about the Midwest is the way the sky felt like it could crash in on you at any moment, and the way it makes you understand how small you are and how wonderful it is to be so small :)

    I am having a bad medical week, too; I have surgery this Friday. It's not the biggest deal, but I haaaaaate medical stuff so I am gritting my teeth through this and I keep reminding myself that life is bigger than me and I need to trust God to get me through. I am really enjoying your sermon recaps; sometimes I like them more than the sermons at my own church, although don't tell anyone that, haha. Your recap today is just what I needed.

    Love your headband, btw, and that skirt is vibrant and beautiful. Do the other girls/women at your church dress similarly to you? Someone else has probably asked this question before, so I'm sorry if it's a repeat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just moved from the midwest so I totally understand what you mean in your first paragraph! It was beautifully written and SO true! I miss the sky so much (I live in the mountains now).
      ~Haley

      Delete
  11. eeek! this outfit just makes me happy. LOVE the green and yellow together. <3

    xo
    purposelyathome.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hey Olivia, I thought that since you didnt have your Sunday outfit post up all through Monday thst you must not be feeling well.So I have been praying for you!
    I have been wondering when you would wear that skirt again! It is such a nice summery piece.. And I really like that shirt too!
    Many blessings, Cass

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lovely outfit! That skirt is such a pretty color on you!
    Your sermon notes always seem to be relevant to what's going on in my life as well--which is one of the reasons I love them so much! I actually had a long discussion about this topic with my friend on Sunday, and the Romans verse would have been a great one to bring up.

    ~Vicki
    Decked Out in Ruffles

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love the colors in this outfit! So bright and summery. =)
    ~Callie
    www.creationsbycallie.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. Very cute outfit - nice and spring-ish! I must confess that I do not remember anything about the sermon because a) we got there so late it was halfway over and b) I was utterly exhausted from a campout with best friends Friday and a great graduation party (that was 2 hours away so we didn't get home till midnight)for a friend on Saturday.

    ~Wineveria

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yay... The Sunday post is up! :) So sorry to hear that you have been unwell. I am suffering a cold at the moment....
    Having spectators is normally so awkward. You did well to choose a fresh looking background, though.
    I love how you made green and yellow look stylish rather than pumpkin-y if you know what I mean.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love this outfit, You look so cute in the first picture!
    well, in all of them! =)I love the green & yellow together!

    ~J

    ReplyDelete
  18. Super cute!
    That yellow is so cheery!
    Sorry you're not feeling well, Olivia. I've been praying for you!
    Actually, my sermon impacted me DURING the sermon! My dad was preaching about how we should be servants and that sometimes God asks us to do things that don't make sense. As I'm mulling this over, thinking about it, I kept feeling like I should get up and get this lady a kleen-x. So I squirmed a bit, pushed it off as being weird. I just kept feeling like I should give her a kleen-x, so I got up...no Kleen-x on the table! Just a napkin! =) So I took one off the table and gave it her. Big deal? Not really! But you can't believe how hard it was for me! I felt really stupid, but I felt like it was what I was supposed to do, so I did it. I know I definitely feel worse after I've purposefully ignored something I felt like God was asking me to do, better to do it and be obedient, even if it wasn't from Him, than to ignore Him and regret it later.
    So anyway, end of novel comment! LOL! =)
    Natasha
    A Modest Fashion Blog:
    www.natashaatkerson.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. I learned this week from one of our very own ministers about the Wisdom of God. He did a great job this past Sunday. cute outfit!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Your shirt matches the grass, your belt matches the rocks.... AND YOUR TOES MATCH THE HOUSE PAINT. You rock. :D

    Em <3

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love your skirt! It is so fresh and summery! :D
    Dotty

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thank you for the sermon! We(Me, my Mom, and Dad) are in the process of moving so we have not found a church yet. So right now,this is kind of my church! You are such a good writer!(And I really like your outfit!)

    ~Katherine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There have been times when my family couldn't find a church either.Praying you'll find one soon! (even though I don't know you;)
      God bless you!
      Lydia

      Delete
    2. Thank you so much!
      ~Katherine

      Delete
  23. Beautiful! I love your blog! I struggle on occasion to find cute outfits that are modest. You are so inspiring with your amazing sense of style!
    God bless you
    Emily
    http://emily-underthelilacs.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  24. I just LOVE that skirt!!!! Feel better soon!
    ~N~

    ReplyDelete
  25. I love how you made your skirt flow with the outfit.This is beautiful! Your pictures are great too. ;)
    Lydia

    ReplyDelete
  26. You look positively radiant, Olivia! Praying for you to feel better, and that your body will be helped by the medicine.

    Alicia Joy

    ReplyDelete
  27. Hi, what size skirt did you get? I'm wondering if I should order a small. You look about my size do that's why I am asking you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  28. I recently stumbled upon your blog. This is such an encouraging place for me! Most of the sewing/fashion blogs don't focus on beautiful modesty, so it's really refreshing. Would you consider doing a guest blog post on my blog (rosesyarn.blogspot.com) about one of your sewing projects or something? If you're too busy, no worries. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete

Fresh Modesty is fashion blog which encourages girls to "Dress outside your box, but inside His Book!" I allow anonymous comments so those without accounts can comment, but I would really appreciate it if you would identify yourself by some form of a name. :) Thank you for taking the time to comment!