Monday, July 22, 2013

Tribulations // in Green + Blue

Happy Monday, y'all! It's a dreary, rainy day outside, but I am feeling great and I'm encouraged! Had a lovely day of praising the Lord yesterday and I can't wait to attack this week relying on His strength.


I shouldn't be surprised that every single sermon feels like it's being preached for my sanctification, but I am. We watched a sermon yesterday afternoon by Sinclair Ferguson in which he talked about how Jesus is really the one doing the speaking and His ministers are just that, His ministers. I don't know about you, but the sermon for me is just as powerful a time of worship as the singing. I say, "wow, Lord" over and over and over to myself as I hear His word preached and feel it pierce my heart. I really don't know how to condense this anymore. It was just so helpful.

Anyway, yesterday's sermon was no exception. The passage was Romans 5: 3-5:
"Not only that, but we rejoice in our tribulations, knowing that suffering produces patience, and patience produces character, and character produces hope. Now hope does not disappoint, because the love of God has been poured out in our hearts by the Holy Spirit who was given to us."

Remember the previous sermons where we learned about our new, changed state as Christians and how we are at peace with God and have full access to Him? Well, because of this new state, we are able to glory (rejoice!) in our present tribulations. Present. here. now. Contrary to what TV preachers like to say, it was never God's design to remove Christians from the trials of this world- we get sick, have accidents, are stolen from, etc just like unbelievers. In fact, in John 15:20 it says "they persecuted me, they will persecute you" because we stand for the truth. Then it goes on to say how blessed are you that you can withstand these things.
How can we rejoice when we are hurting? It's part of our new attitude, our new lives. We know these things and can stand on them. We can glory in tribulation because of what it produces in us. This word, "produce" repeated in Romans 5:3-5 is an action verb. It means doing and bringing results, it means to work down (like an algebra problem) to root conclusion of something. So, "Suffering works down to endurance, and endurance works down to character..." Tribulation means pressure. It comes from the Latin, "Tribulum" which was a heavy, sharp beam used for thrashing the grain. Used to press out the good grain from the chaff.
We all come under pressure. In the body of Christ, we need to come around those under pressure, those in tribulations, and help sustain the inner man through those pressures. I can't express how wonderful it is to have friends wash our dishes and help fix dinner as our family is going through this rocky time.
Tribulation produces, works down, to patience. Patience isn't just waiting for something. It means to remain under a great weight, like a pillar. Think of a great column that holds up the weight of the roof. Its function is to sustain the pressure of the weight (tribulation) above and transfer that force to the foundation below, which is a sure base. I thought this explanation of what a pillar does very inspiring as I thought about the verse in Psalms about daughters being a corner pillar in the home. We are to be patient- strong- sustaining.

 
When we pray for Fruits of the Spirit, don't expect those virtues to just be zapped upon you. Realize you are praying for the experience of learning those fruits. Love-- need mature love. Joy-- especially in circumstances where things are against us, when we are in the crucible of hard times. Peace-- in the face of great anxiety and/or fear. Longsuffering-- especially with those who really get on our nerves. Each of the fruits of the Spirit have to be brought to maturity in us through pressure, through patience, through tribulations.
Today we use the word "character" loosely. What it means in this passage though is amazing-- it means tested + approved in battle, reliable, proven. Experienced. When we learn to be patient and see God bring us through tough times, our faith is strengthened. Our faith and God's faithfulness to us has been tried and proven. We have a more sure understanding of God's goodness. We know we are the genuine article and have a confident expectation that God will grow us.

We can glory in tribulation, also, because we know what we will experience-- verse 5 tells us! Hope will not disappoint, but God's love is poured out on us. His care in our suffering gives us a transcendent radiance because we experience God's face in our trials. We have a better awareness of the Lord in our life. We can rejoice-- glory!-- in our tribulations because we know it is producing patience in us.

This outfit just came together yesterday morning. One of those, "oh look, this and this and this match" kind of things.
Shirt: Charity Shop ($1) It has shoulder pads!! O.o
Skirt: Made by me (Fabric, $5) (worn before here)
Shoes: Charity Shop ($2)
Belt: Charity Shop ($2)
Headscarf: Handmedown
Earrings: Forever21 ($4)

Y'all have an awesome day! What was your sermon about?

Pin It


36 comments :

  1. My two favorite colors! Love this outfit together. Gorgeous. That shirt is something else, too; you find the BEST things in the charity shop!

    I am still housebound for recovery, so no church for me :( My church will have a recording available tomorrow morning, so I'll be e-mailing them for it then.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those shoes are just perfection! The belt. earrings and hair scarf are great finishing touches, too. Love the fresh colours you have been using lately.
    Ha, it is raining outside today in NZ as I write, too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Too neat, my Sunday morning outfit was, "One of those, 'oh look, this and this and this match' kind of things," too. :)


    ReplyDelete
  4. You are such a lovely model! LOVE the outfit and how you manage to come up with so many new combinations. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I /really/ love your skirt. And for that matter, the shoes. And the belt. Maybe I'm in the mood for sky blue? :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your head wrap and your skirt!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Green and blue are two colours I wouldn't normally put together - but they look so springy and fresh in this outfit. And in heat like this (it's been pretty hot here in Canada lately) clothing that looks cool and effortless is just...perfect. :)

    Your posts are always such an inspiration - I'm always looking for new ways to wear the clothes I already have, and coming to your blog always gives me new ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really like that outfit. I love those shoes too.
    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  9. So cute! My sister and I are just starting a blog and hope someday to be half as good as your's! -R.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Leave a comment with the link and I'd love to visit! :)

      Delete
  10. I love how much you worship God and how much you love each sermon you hear. It's so inspiring!

    I also adore your outfit. Like you said, it's one of those, "Oh look, this and this match!" outfits--not something I'd immediately think of, that's for sure. And it looks wonderful.

    You're awesome, Olivia!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I LOVE the belt :) Is the shirt vintage? It sort of has that look to it. Excellent color scheme.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would imagine the shirt is somewhat vintage-- 70's maybe? It feels like a material we don't really use anymore. It is Worthington brand, like they sell at JCPenny's. :) Thanks!

      Delete
  12. I love that skirt! I have been hoping that you would wear it again soon! You did a fabulous job on it! I would really love make one with that kind of ragged ruffle at the bottom. My sister is the one who talked about the new blog above..we are going to be doing it together.And yes, we would love for you to follow us! As soon as we get it off the ground we will for sure leave a link! Thanks for asking!
    ~Cassie

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love your shoes!! And do you use a curling iron for your hair? I'd like my hair to be like that. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I used a flat-iron (straightener) to give some shape to the ends of my hair. Just pulled it along my hair and then when I got to the ends I put a twist in my wrist and it flips out like that. Super easy. :)

      Delete
    2. Thanks!! And BTW my I'm MariaD!! Sorry I forgot to mention that!! I think I might try your technique!! PS I'm praying for you!!

      Delete
  14. still praying for you, Olivia! Your lovely outfit reminds me of Summer and Fall.I really like the belt ( gotta love polka dots ;) and the shoesss.....
    The picture of just shoes is awesome!
    Lydia

    ReplyDelete
  15. So enjoy your blog! You're an inspiration and a blessing!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I Love it! Super stylish and it has such a taste to it! I really like your headband! Goes well with it all!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love the color and your shoes are "da bomb" :D
    Dotty

    whimsicalramblingsdaydreams.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. Super cute, as always, Olivia!
    The blue and green look stunning together!
    Excellent notes on your sermon. Unfortunately I missed church due to a super horrible cough. It's weird, because it's not really cold season, is it?
    I definitely have a hard time with being patient in trials! I want them to be over ASAP. I read a blog recently that had a really good analogy of how our Christian walk should be, it's like a life monitor. If we're a straight line, we're dead! However, if we're struggling up the hill, we're growing. Yes, sometimes there are times when we're down and not trusting God as much as we should, hopefully they don't last too long.
    How are you feeling Olivia? Did the medicine knock out the tick bite? Been praying for you and your family.
    Natasha
    A Modest Fashion Blog:
    www.natashaatkerson.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hey there! I am new to your blog and enjoy checking out your outfits! They are all so cute! What a fun idea for a blog!
    It is also encouraging to see other Christian girls out there living for the Lord. Keep up the hard work!
    I have a website called Country Girl and would love it if you would check it out and tell me what you think. (I am new to blogging within the last year.) I am also starting a new blog at the end of this week, as you can't follow me on the one I have now.
    Here is the link for my website-- chesterscountry.weebly.com
    Thank you for being a good example to us. I really appreciate it!
    ~Malory

    ReplyDelete
  20. I just wanted to say that I really love your blog. You teach girls how to be modest and look cute at the same time! Thank you!
    ~maria

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thank you so much for your wonderful blog! Your clothing is style is so fun and I agree you can be modest and stylish (although, our definitions of modesty are a little different, because I do wear pants). It's so encouraging that you share about the sermons that you hear, too. I love fashion and mixing fashion/entertainment with trying to be a Christian is a learning process and I appreciate meeting someone else who is on the journey and blogging about it, too! Isn't blogging fun? You "meet" some of the nicest people!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Will,Kate, and baby are out of the hospital and doing well.Everyone probably knows birth details(if you don't they're easy to find)so I won't get into that.Please keep praying for them!
    Lydia

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love the fresh colors in your outfit.I'm rather color-challenged with my wardrobe right now so your oufits inspire me to try incorporating more of that.
    On a random and off-season tangent, do you have any ideas, suggestions, or comments on modest prom dresses? Where to find modest ones, or ways to make regular ones modest?
    Thanks!
    ~Mary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Hmmm... that's a hard question. My first instinct is to say a bolero over or a lace shirt under the dress, but sometimes that can look tacky. If I were going to a prom, I'd probably sew my dress... have you googled it? I've seen a lot of really pretty and modest ones on pinterest, but they're expensive. I've also seen some cute ones at thrift stores that I would have chopped up and put sleeves on. Sorry I don't have any real suggestions! Hope you find something!

      Delete
  24. I wish we had some rain! It's been so dry here lately.
    The first and last two pictures are my favorite! Your outfit reminds me of the 1920s (or somewhere around there?), I think it's cute!

    I always enjoy reading your sermon re-caps. I can especially see the enthusiasm you had in this weeks re-cap! Thanks for posting them!

    Bobbi Heyde Photography
    www.bobbiheydephotography.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  25. i love your sewing! How did you learn to sew? thanks, Makaylah

    ReplyDelete
  26. I've seen you wear head scarfs/covers in other photos and was wondering if you wore them due to 1 Corinthians 11? Thank you for posting modest options and doing it in such a sweet and humble manner.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I've noticed in some other photos that you have worn a head scarf/cover. I was wondering if you wore them due to 1 Corinthians 11? Thank you for your blog and for the way you promote modest and stylish cloths in such a sweet and humble manner.
    Much Thanks,
    Mandy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I cover in honor of that Scripture. :)

      Delete
  28. Hi Olivia ~ That is so encouraging to hear that you cover due to 1 Cor. 11:1-16 I too cover for worship in response to this passage. Very few I know cover and give this passage very little if any study time. Most will dismiss this portion of the chapter as cultural all the while observing other passages that base their same reasoning on identical principles (headship/creation). Thank you for your boldness and obedience in regard to this instruction. Maybe your example will have a ripple effect.
    Blessings,
    Mandy Brackin

    ReplyDelete
  29. Hello Olivia! I love the way you "tied" your belt! Is that how the belt was made/how did you "tie" it that way?

    ReplyDelete

Fresh Modesty is fashion blog which encourages girls to "Dress outside your box, but inside His Book!" I allow anonymous comments so those without accounts can comment, but I would really appreciate it if you would identify yourself by some form of a name. :) Thank you for taking the time to comment!