Monday, August 12, 2013

Original Sin // in Coral + Turquoise

Hey y'all! I hope you had a wonderful weekend! I spent it resting and hanging out with my immediate and church family.

We learned about original sin yesterday. This truth is seriously super important to understanding the Gospel. If our thinking on this is wrong, our trajectory is all off and we miss the true Gospel. Chapter 5 of Romans is the central passage to the whole book, so it's essential we understand it.

Our pastor started by explaining the structure of the passage (Romans 5:12-21) so that we could better understand it as we get into the tricky sentences. Verse 12 is an explanation of the one truth that was in the first eleven verses of the chapter-- all we are and all we have is due to the nature of the relationship we have with Christ. This is explained in the form of comparison between Adam and Christ; verse 14, "Adam, who is a type of Him who was to come." What Adam did affected the entire human race and what Christ did affects all of the new race. Still discussing the structure, our text has parenthetical digressions and it helps to understand the passage to realize that verse 18 leaves off where verse 12 was interrupted and to look at verses 13-17 as a side note, but a very important one. This is the passage in the Bible on original sin-- let's be careful to understand it. Think of bowling. When you release that ball, you set it's trajectory. Nothing you can do after you let go can change it's course of action. This is why we've gotta get the basic (but often complicated) doctrines right- they set the trajectory of our Christian lives. :)

The main focus of our time was spent studying verse 12. "just as through one man sin entered the world, and death through sin, and thus death spread to all men, because all sinned" People don't want to believe what the Bible says about us, often, because it leaves us unable to save ourselves. Here are the four points to walk us through the passage:
   1) Sin entered the world through one man. Not through Satan and not through the woman, although she partook first. Sin didn't come through "them", but through "him". (That's a loaded point and one we spent another half hour on in our afternoon Q&A time at church.)
   2) Death entered the world through that one sin. The original text says, "Through the sin, the death". In Hebrew, "dying you shall die". Adam ate and it separated them from God.
   3) Death permeated then through to all men. No exceptions. The text says "And thus unto all men the death came through". We have the death sentence for our sin. We die because we sin, it is our just sentence. We have earned it.
   4) All men die because all men sin. Paul answers a question he knows is coming, "Why do all men die? Because all sinned."


Now, we need to understand exactly how Adam's sin is our sin. This is where our trajectory can get off and can destroy itself. There are three schools of thought regarding this:
       1) We all sinned in the sense that we all imitate Adam's example. This is the Pelagian view. Some translations say, "all have sinned" but the verb there is singular, and "have" shouldn't be there. It lends itself to wrong interpretation of thinking "like Adam, we sin". Verses 15, 16, and 17 say that one offense resulted in condemnation.  So it can't be that we sin because we are imitating Adam- it was his actual sin that condemns us. We sinned. To understand why this imitation idea is dangerous, let's look at the parallel of Adam and Christ. If we are following Adam's example in sinning, then we can follow Christ's example of righteousness to live. See how that breaks down? It's not the gospel if we believe we can simply live righteously to attain life. Pelagius was condemned as a heretic at the Council of Carthage in 418 A.D.
       2) We have sinned in the sense that we have inherited Adam's corrupt nature. Jacob Arminius held this position. This is the idea that we are sinful, but not necessarily that we sinned (this is where the age of accountability debate comes in). Using our Adam and Christ test, let's see how this holds up. If we inherit Adam's sinful nature and then choose to exercise it, then in Christ we inherit Jesus's righteous nature and all we have to do is choose to exercise our holy nature. This sets us on a works-based trajectory.
       3) The consistent-with-the-text view of original sin is that we all sinned in the sense that in some actual way we participated in Adam's actual sin. There are 2 ways this can be true, and the more I think about this, the more it helps the whole Bible make deep sense.
                  1) Adam is our federal head. Our covenant head. This is why it was Adam and not Eve who brought sin into the world. Hosea 6:7 says, "Like Adam, they transgressed the covenant with me..." Like a king declares war and the whole nation is at war, so Adam sinned and we all sinned. In our Adam & Christ test, we participated in Adams sin, so we participated in Christ's death on the cross and His justification.
                  2) Adam is our natural head. We all come from Adam-- we were in his loins when he sinned. Hebrews 7:9-10 talks about Levi giving tithes to Melchizedek through Abraham "for he was still in the loins of his father when Melchizedek met him"... Levi lived 400 years after Abraham, yet it was all the same to God. Thinking of Adam & Christ, we were there when Adam sinned and we were there when Christ was crucified, buried, and raised.

This is why we need regeneration and new birth-- we were born in sin. Christ is our covenant head now and our natural head- we were rebirthed and adopted into His family! This is the basis of our relationship with Christ. We can have a real, living, actual relationship with Him because we were really, actually there. His grace is real. He is our all in all, our life. John 8:52 says, "If anyone keeps My word he shall never taste death"-- In Christ, we no longer pay the penalty of death. In Adam we sin and die, but in Christ we live and obey. This is who we are.
 
This outfit showcases three items I will be reviewing later this week (with a giveaway!!) but I can't help sharing how well they worked with this dress for church yesterday. I needed something quick and easy (as is always the case on Lord's Day mornings it seems...) and these accessories really helped my plain dress. I wore it earlier this summer here.
This belt is actually a headband, but it happened to fit around my waist (barely ;)). I've linked to each of the products' specific pages so you can get one, too! :)
Dress: Handmedown, altered
Halftee: c/o Deborah & Co.
Belt: c/o Deborah & Co.
Shoes: Charity Shop ($2)
Earrings: c/o Deborah & Co.  
Headscarf: Scrap of knit fabric :)

M'kay, I've gotta get my day started, but y'all have a fabulous day! What was your sermon about?

BTW, if any of these summaries make you wish you had heard the sermon, too, just email me at FreshModesty (at) gmail (dot) com and I'll send you an mp3. :) Blessings!

Pin It


33 comments :

  1. Howdy! Thank you so much for the sermon! Could sometime you do a post about headcoverings? I'm having a hard time deciding if I should ware them or not, so I would really like your Opinion on it!
    Thank you!
    ~Katherine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's been on my mind to do a post for a long time on the subject, but it's not been in my schedule. Until then, http://www.headcoveringmovement.com/ is a great resource of articles on the topic. :)

      Delete
    2. Thank you! :)

      ~Katherine

      Delete
  2. I love your "belt" :)
    Dotty
    whimsicalramblingsdaydreams.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! First comment! :) Cute outfit!

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOVE this outfit and the "belt" Haha! I used to have an eyelet dress that was very similar but it ended up getting too small. :( Now I wish I had kept it and just sewed something to the bottom, but I gave it to a much smaller girl at my church. :P I'd love to hear the sermon, going to email you in a moment! :)
    Www.Modestyismypolicy.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Everything is so beautiful...like the "pop" of coral!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a nice summery outfit Olivia! Our sermon was about trusting in God and to remember how able He is to do all things! Thanks for always giving us a nice biblical start to our week! Blessings!
    Cass

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, it has a touch of vintage and summer to it! The flower looks so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I read your post and walked away for a bit to think about it, and am coming back. This is an intense sermon, for sure. It's definitely not a way I'm used to seeing the concept of Original Sin presented.

    I lean towards more faith-based than works-based, and I disagree with a few of the points here, but there isn't a sermon you post that, regardless of whether or not I agree with its conclusions, doesn't really make me THINK and send me running to read the verses myself. there are some points I love in here, though - this idea that we are all involved, because in Adam was the seed of humanity, and therefore all of us, all at once. I will have to think about that some more.

    Can I ask a question, if you don't mind? Do a lot of people stay over for the after-sermon Q&A sessions? Does your pastor hold those every week? Would you say it's more of a Ask the pastor a question, he answers, or is it more of a general discussion amongst everyone there? I'm just kind of interested in how it's set up.

    And, of course, your dress is gorgeous. It actually took me a second to realize you were wearing the half-tee, it went so well with the dress. I love that headband-as-belt, too... thinking I might need to click over there and see what Deborah & Co. has to offer...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey! I'm glad the sermon summaries drive you towards seeking the Savior-- agree or disagree with them, that's my main hope in sharing them! :)
      To answer your question, we have a Q&A time about every other week or every third week. It's supposed to be every week, but sometimes we have other things planned as a church (baby showers, video lectures, hymn sings, fun times, etc) and we do those things instead. It's mostly ask the pastor a question from either the sermon or something your family was studying in family worship that week and he answers, but the floor is open for all the men to discuss/ answer as well. Some weeks have more discussion than others and our time can range from 45 minutes to 2 hours, depending on the topic. :) It's lighthearted and a great time for thinking through things as a church. Hope that answers your question!

      Delete
    2. Thanks for your quick response! Yeah, it helps me kind of visualize how it's set up. That's actually a really great idea for a church to do; I often find myself wishing the discussion happened after the sermon instead of in Sunday School beforehand. I'd think that would especially hold true for the really intense sermons like this one.

      Delete
    3. Oh, just realized I never answered your question about most people staying-- I would say almost all the families stay after our fellowship meal together for this discussion time, although there will be an occasional week where people have other obligations or new babies to let nap so attendance is down. Because it's after lunch, it can sometimes be hard to stay awake, but the teaching is so good that we manage it. :D

      Delete
    4. I just can't imagine how long your notes were for this sermon ;)

      Delete
    5. Commented under the wrong e-mail account. My bad. That last one is indeed from me!

      Delete
  9. Wow! Such a cute a outfit! (No surprise);)
    ~MariaD

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love that belt (or headband, if you like)! It takes the plain white outfit from 'average' to put together! Also I can't get over those shoes... The colour and the style.
    =)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Olivia!

    It's Hannah Again! I really like this outfit, way better then the other one, I like the "belt" on thi one better then the black one! Did you ever think of wearing a light pink shirt under the dress to bring out the light pink in the dress?

    Hope you have a great day!

    ~Hannah.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lovely outfit! That dress is too pretty, and I love how you used the headband as a belt!
    Thanks for sharing what you learned about original sin! I found this post particularly edifying. I was actually just studying this passage on Saturday as part of research for one of my final essays, and while I didn't spend too much time on it because I needed to get my work done, I knew it was something I would want to study more deeply later on. Also, I'm so grateful that you cleared up why it was that sin came upon us via Adam and not Eve. That's one thing that I was wondering about in my study, and I'm glad to have a better idea of it.(:

    ~Vicki
    Decked Out in Ruffles

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh, your dress is just gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh, praise God for the gospel and for redeeming our sin-sick souls! And you look absolutely adorable - what a great outfit! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Very cute & classy outfit!
    Love, Katie

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hey Olivia!

    That sermon is really great! Our Pastor has been preaching on James for the past few weeks. I really like the clothes that you make! They are cute and modest at the same time! Thanks for setting an example for lots of girls! Have a great day!

    Hayden =)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh! What a lovely dress, Olivia!
    You always look so pretty (and I mean that in a sisterly compliment sort of way! LOL!)
    All I can say is, I'm glad I wasn't Eve, or Adam for that matter! Who wants to be responsible for leading mankind into sin?! =)
    My sermon was on Exodus 20, unfortunately I didn't get to hear much as I was holding a crying baby.
    Natasha
    A Modest Fashion Blog:
    www.natashaatkerson.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. I like the outfit! Very nice!

    Maggie

    maidensinthemaking.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. Nice duds kiddo! Like the belt esp!

    ReplyDelete
  20. ADORABLE! I love the dress! i am also a HUGE fan of your blog. THANKS! -Hannah

    ReplyDelete
  21. I found your blog recently and just wanted to commend you for valuing modesty! It is refreshing whenever I find someone who has an interest in both fashion AND modesty. I'm pretty tickled about it myself.:) Keep up the great work!

    shelleysmucker.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  22. Aww, that whole outfit is adorable! So pretty and feminine. I love the belt!

    ReplyDelete
  23. So Pretty! Yet Modest! Love The Belt :)

    -Rebekah-

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love this outfit!! I am also a modest fashion blogger! It's so nice to find others who dress "stylish" yet modest!

    Lauren
    modern1modesty.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  25. DON'T BLAME ADAM FOR YOUR SIN

    Adam was the first man to sin. Adam was guilty of sin. Mankind does not share in the guilt of Adam's sin. Men are guilty of the sins they themselves commit. No person has to be forgiven for the sin that Adam committed. There is no such thing as guilt from original sin. Men do not inherited sin from Adam.

    Romans 5:12 Therefore, just as through one man sin entered the world, and death through sin, and death spread to all men,because all sinned---

    All men will die because they sinned; not because Adam sinned.

    James 1:14-15 But each one is tempted when he is drawn away by his own desires and enticed. 15 Then, when desire has conceived, it gives birth to sin; and sin, when it is full-grown, brings forth death.

    Men sin and taste death because of their own desires. Do not blame Adam for your sins.

    Romans 6:23 For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.

    Men will receive wages for their own sin. They will not receive Adam's wages for his sin.

    NO INFANT NOR ADULT HAS TO BE FORGIVEN FOR THE SINS OF ADAM.

    ALL MEN NEED TO BE FORGIVEN FOR THE SINS, THEY THEMSELVES COMMIT!

    (All Scripture from: NEW KING JAMES VERSION)

    YOU ARE INVITED TO FOLLOW MY BLOG. http://steve-finnell.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not blaming Adam for my sin. Just giving the backstory for why no man is born without sin. I am responsible for MY sin. I hope it didn't come across that I am punished for Adam's sin-- by no means. :)

      Delete

Fresh Modesty is fashion blog which encourages girls to "Dress outside your box, but inside His Book!" I allow anonymous comments so those without accounts can comment, but I would really appreciate it if you would identify yourself by some form of a name. :) Thank you for taking the time to comment!