Friday, September 20, 2013

A+A: School Girl Look + Hair Tutorial!

Hey y'all! Awkward and Awesome Thursday is a bit late this week...

Awkward:
  • When you assure your mom you are NOT tired and can keep driving, but she can tell you really are because you're driving sloppy. :P
  • Playing, "Barbie Princess and the Pauper" through the car speakers so your siblings can hear it in the backseat... so you have the songs stuck in your head for a week.
  • When y'all try to help someone with a cut and end up super gluing their fingers together by accident... and then you have no remover to get it off with and your whole family is laughing so hard you're all unable to think about what to do. O.o
  • Realizing that you have been drinking over 5 cups of milk a day... yay calcium?
  • Grandparents who ask if you've "picked anyone out yet" to marry.
  • Standing at some friends' sink washing their dishes at night. Outside the window girls go sneaking past playing some sort of game. They're looking at you smiling as they tiptoe, so you make weird faces at them to make them laugh. Each time they pass you make a different face. When the dishes are done, you turn around and a guy friend with an amused/confused look on his face asks what you were doing and you realize he could see your reflection in the window the whole time. :P
  • Again washing dishes at a friends' house and you ask if they have a drying rag so you can dry the dishes. Your friend answers that "No, we don't handwash dishes much so we don't have one" to which you start elaborating, "You don't have any dishrags? Y'all seriously never handwash dishes?! What about pots? There are 10 of you, how can you possibly never do dishes!!" Then you realize you still need to dry the dripping dishes you just washed, "Well, do you have a dry one of these?!" (holds up washcloth) Which finally breaks through our miscommunication barrier and he says, "Oh, a towel. Yeah, we've got a ton of those. I thought you were saying dish rack not rag." and opens up the drawer filled with dishrags/towels/ whatever. :P A hilarious and awkward and unusually heated few minutes.
  • Taking your 3 year old brother to the thrift store and before you can flip through two items on a rack he has climbed up through a round clothes' rack and has his head sticking out of the middle yelling, "Hey Olivia!! Look at me!"
  • Hopping out of the car at a neighbor's house to return some bleach you borrowed last week. You unexpectedly see another friend's sweet little girl looking out their window so you wave all girlily at her- you know, twinkle fingers, cheesy "shy" smile- and then turn to say hi to the 18 year old guy you are returning the bleach to as you cross the yard. You see the freaked out look on his face and realize he thought you were waving at him. :P
  • When your dogs don't listen to you.
  • Chicken processing as a family. We only had 12 chickens to do this time (the other 68 we ordered died. O.o) so we decided to tackle it in our front yard instead of calling out the neighbors and making a party out of it like usual when there are 5 dozen to do. Problem was... we weren't quite sure what we were doing. Nothing like googling how to scald a chicken while holding it's dead feet. :P
Awesome:
  • Getting into the swing of things with a new family schedule. This has me "officially" watching my 3 year old brother all afternoon, so instead of feeling like I need to get other stuff done, I've been spending time just playing with him or taking him on errands with me. Sometimes both, like when he says longingly as we pass the creek on our way to get milk, "I wiss we tould do to da creek again..." so you stop on your way back to dig in the rocks. We might have been in nice clothes, but it's just water, y'know?
  • We stopped somewhere in Texas for dinner at "El Burrito". As usual, our family asks about cheese and gluten in pretty much everything on the menu. As we ordered, half the family said, "I'll take the such and such with no cheese." When we received our food, we asked the waitress to please take our picture with it. In his usual silly way, Daddy said, "Everyone say guacamole!" As she handed the camera back, the waitress said in her awesome Mexican accent, "You say guacamole because no person like cheese." Took us all a second to understand the joke, but we laughed really hard once we did. :D
  • Although it was a sad occasion, a blessing of our trip to Texas was getting to go through my great aunt and great grandmother's closet for any clothes we wanted. My aunt was very stylish and I got few pieces that I know will get a lot of use and some fun ones for the dress-up box. :) Some things in there made us laugh and we had a great time playing "dress up" and figuring out some items from a by-gone era.
  • Small-town shopping. I just love the accents, the well-worn clothes, the happy and honest faces. The pastor's wife who works at the grocery store and is always joyful. The guy at Rite Aid who always welcomes you to the store. The ladies at the thrift store who comment on what you buy. The friendly missing-teeth guy at the co-op who makes me laugh. The ladies at the bank who put up with me asking for cash in annoyingly small denominations and while I stand there I listen to the guy who has been Santa at the mall for 40 years tell some super sweet stories.
  • Finally choosing a winner for the Deborah & Co giveaway! I've contacted the winner who happens to be my friend Delaney! 
  • Getting together to make fancy drinks and just hang out with friends because we can
  • Surprise birthday parties! Girl's night of nail painting, picture taking, hair chalking, fruit-loops eating, and Sweet Home Alabama watching. 
  • Spending all week preparing for my sisters' booths at the Franklin Farmer's Market tomorrow! If any of my readers are near Nashville, y'all should come out and see them! And maybe buy some of Emma's Gluten-Free Mixes and Droplette Handcrafted Jewelry! I've had such a good time sticking stickers, designing their booths, staying up laaaate, and painting the signs!
  • Receiving a table/desk from my great grandmother that was kind of beat up, which meant I could paint and decorate it how I wanted! I removed the contact paper, sanded, spray painted (over doilies), sparkled, and glossed it to a happy piece of furniture that has gotten a ton of use already! I paired it in our room with a really pretty gold mirror from another grandmother so we can use it as a desk or a vanity! I filmed my curly hair video there. :) 

My headband for this outfit is courtesty of Apple Blossoms, an Etsy shop y'all should check out! These sisters make cute headbands and bags and things! I've said this before; I have a really hard time wearing headbands because of headaches, but this one fits comfortably! I was able to wear it all day, which is huge. I was really glad, too, because this outfit made me happy. :)

This I guess you could say is my rendition of a "school girl" look. Simple headband for way-ward hair, plain polo shirt, and comfortable jean skirt with a classic plaid belt. This skirt used to be a pair of jeans that had really wide legs. I loooved them, but I rarely wore them because they didn't work with tunics so I made them into a skirt, using another skirt I hardly wore as the contrast fabric. :) More on how I did it on my sewing blog.

Shirt: SO! by Khol's: $3
Skirt: Made by me
Belt: Gift
Headband: Apple Blossoms
Flip flops: Sears? $9

And I finally filmed a hair curling tutorial for y'all! Sorry it's so long and awkward-- I ramble and I didn't have time for any re-dos. :D Hope that answers all your questions!

Alright, things are silly crazy around here getting ready for the market tomorrow-- see y'all Monday! What was awkward or awesome about your week?
     


50 comments :

  1. Thanks for the hair curling tutorial! Very helpful and informative. What size is your curling iron?

    Also, when you're embedding a video in your blog, it might be helpful if you added "&rel=0" to the end of the video address. This tag stops related videos from showing up when the viewer is finished with your video. Hope this makes sense!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My curling iron is 3/4". :)

      Thanks for the suggestion! I tried it but it didn't work. I Googled instructions exactly how and it still didn't work on the blog, and then I put it just directly after the url when on youtube and the related videos still popped up. :-/ So, idk. I wish I could get them off! :)

      Delete
    2. When you're at the video on Youtube and click Share, there's a couple of boxes that you can check and one of them says "Show suggested videos when the video finishes" and it's automatically checked. So just uncheck that box, recopy and repaste the code, and you should be good to go!

      Delete
  2. I love the look of pink, white and denim together. And your hair is lovely -- that's the exact way I curl my hair too. :) I'd like to do it more often than I do though. And thanks for sharing your awk & awe moments; they're probably my favorite part of your blog. :D

    Blessings,
    Annie

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is an adorable outfit!! I love it!
    what size a curling iron do you use?
    Thanks for the tutorial!

    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved the tutorial and your outfit is so cute. I laughed super hard for a couple of you awk moments. My awkward moment of the week would probably be from yesterday. My brother had just finished his soccer game and I went up to him as he was heading to the locker room, and just to tease him i patted his shoulder and said in a girly voice "great game andre" and as he continued walking i saw two ladies look at me then look at eachother and raised their eyebrows. they didn't know me and didn't know he was my younger brother, that looks a lot older then me. hahaha, we all had a laugh about it later. -natalia

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Olivia! I have a random question for you. In the Awesome section you mentioned chalking hair at a birthday party. My friends and I were thinking of doing that for fun. How did you chalk the hair? (Supplies, techniques, etc. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yet another wonderful outfit. I love all your cute stories. Thank you for sharing these tidbits of your life with us. I feel as if we should be sitting on the back porch sipping tea. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the one about the 'El Burrito'! And we seem to have the same 'job' of looking after our three year old little brothers. :) I like the unusual posing of photos (and the editing), outfit and the table re-do!
    Great hair tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Really cute outfit ! Poloshirt + denim skirt is my go-to lab outfit, and especially the 2 Errand Skirts I made with you ebook (yes, I made a second at the end of the summer because I was so in love with the first one that I wore it all the time and I was afraid to have worn it out before the newt winter ;-)) because of the solvents I use at my chemistry lab, so it's necessary to have my legs protected !
    I only have one real awesome : my church had been renting a building for over 17 years, but we had to leave before september 30th (long story short, we paid the rent to a guy that wasn't honnest and we ended up in a trial, and the owner of the building decided to destroy the entire building to make appartments for rent...Anyways ;-)) and we were quite anxious for where we'd be able to meet. This week, God answered and we will sign next week for renting a building that meets our needs ! He's so faithful ! We've gone through some tough days, wondering why and how we would make it, but glory be to God for His mighty works !
    I guess my next week will be filled with work as demolishing walls and painting and moving furniture because I haven't started my PhD yet and with my uncle we will work in the new church building to prepare it for the big move, on saturday !
    Have a fantastic weekend, Olivia !

    ReplyDelete
  10. I feel you on the "so have you found anyone to marry yet". Although I'm an old married lady now at 27 ;), when I was a teenager and first going into college I got that a lot. Then Jason and I dated for several years until we graduated before getting married, so I got a LOT of "SO WHEN ARE YOU AND JASON GOING TO TIE THE KNOT" from grandparents. I think everybody just likes the excuse to have a party, haha.

    I know that you have mentioned that normal headbands give you headaches before; do you often have headaches regardless, or is it a specific sensitivity to pressure around your temples?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, I think you're right!
      I get headaches a lot unfortunately and they're triggered by a number of things (mostly neck related strain like sitting for too long, wonky sleep schedule or position, some collared shirts, etc.) But wearing a headband is instant headache and instant relief when I take it off... unless I decided to just go with the headache and wear the headband and then sometimes it'll take longer to go away. :)

      Delete
    2. Ugh, no fun. I can't wear headbands made of the hard plastic stuff that digs into your scalp because the pressure gives me headaches, so I wondered if it was the same kind of issue. So I just live in awesome cloth headbands I buy at CVS whenever they're on sale. The cashier just stares at me while I plunk five packs of 'em down on the countertop. Hey, there are weirder things I could be buying!

      Thanks for answering the comment :) Even if it's about a less-than-fun part of life.

      Delete
  11. I LOVE the outfit! It's so cute!
    The video is wonderful too.......my hair is VERY LONG, straight and medium thickness and extremely hard to curl. I've never thought of getting a wave by braiding your hair the night or so before you curl.....that's a really great idea! Thanks for the tips and I might possibly be more successful next time! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I like how you paired a white shirt, instead of a red one, with this skirt and tied the colors together with the belt. A big problem I have is going all matchy-matchy when I put outfits together... Trying to branch out more though.:)

    Haha. I can still sing a lot of the songs from that movie, and do occasionally at random times.:) Isn't it funny how younger siblings want to hear the same songs over and over again?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Are you guys gluten free?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Is it hard to be gluten free? My lil sis might be have to go gluten free

      Delete
  14. :53 "Pull it up... Like this, in a VERY stylish manner..."
    My hair currently is on top of my head looking quite like that. I'm so fashionable. :/
    Awkward:
    My entire square at square dancing getting completely jumbled from trying to 'weave the ring'.
    Attempting to slow my wild horse as he runs insanely into a field. I of course accidentally slip in front of the saddle while he's cantering and end up having to jump off and stop him at the same time.
    Spider webs in the face.

    Awesome:
    Pear/Apple pie with ice cream <3
    My birthday is tomorrow :)
    Shiny dark green nails.


    ~Aleni~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My birthday is today! Happy early birthday! ;-) ~Rebekah,age 15

      calicoclodhoppers.blogpot.com

      Delete
  15. Great post Olivia!
    I loved the awkward smiling moments! :D I curl my hair that same way, it works out so much better, not really sure why.... :)
    I have a huge craziness about belts lately! The plaid is great! :)
    I will have to check out the esty shop for those headbands, I wear them all the time!
    Have a blessed Lord's day!
    ~Cassie
    calicoclodhoppers.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I forgot to say how much I love the idea of painting over the doilies!
      And your pictures are great!

      Delete
  16. Thanks! I never thought of using a curling iron in this way. I'll have to try it, but I think I'll look for those gloves first. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. What happened to the other 68 chickens?! We ordered 52 chickens this year, half for eggs and the other half for meat. This is our first year of butchering..do you have any tips?!! A few of them were lost over the summer, but we have over twenty left to butcher very soon! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The chicks just died, we don't know what from! One or two would just die every day. I think they weren't quite healthy to begin with. :-P We thankfully got a refund on them.

      Delete
    2. Aww...the poor little chicks! :( I'm glad that you got a refund though. We got our chicks in the mail, that was a really cool experience!! :D Which breed did you get? We got half Rhode Island Reds and half Jumbo Cornish X. I don't think that we will ever get the Cornish X again though...they had a lot of issues. We used to have Buff Orpingtons, they were amazing!

      Delete
    3. The buff orpingtons are great chickens! I have 17 and haven't lost any. ordered them thru the mail from Cackle Hatchery- they seem to have high quality birds.

      Delete
  18. LOL, your guy friend had to be amused! I love that! I know a guy and I did that too and he was like, WHAT are you DOING??
    I L.O.V.E your outfit! It's so cute and funky! :)))
    Thanks for the hair tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I drink a lot of milk too! About 5 cups a day. (Maybe that's why I have never broken any bones!) ;-] "A cup of milk, apple cider vinegar, and some garlic a day keeps the doctor away!" Hahaha... Good post Olivia! ~Rebekah

    calicoclodhoppers.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You drink vinegar?!

      Delete
    2. My Great-grandmother used to drink vinegar in a little water everyday. It helps/supports your immune system.

      -MV

      Delete
  20. Hi, Olivia,
    Just found your blog through searching "modest women's clothing Christian" after reading a couple blog posts on modesty. Your site is a breath of fresh air, and not just because of your style; it feels kind of steeped in an atmosphere of God's grace. Encouraged, inspired, and grateful for the way the Lord used you to bless me.

    ReplyDelete
  21. haha! I loved the "el burrito" one!! :D
    "Everyone say g u a c a m o l e!" :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

    God Bless!
    ~ Calen ~

    P.S.
    What happened to the rest of your chickens?! o.O

    ReplyDelete
  22. Could you do a tutorial on how to make that jean skirt?

    ReplyDelete
  23. You're so talented, Olivia! I couldn't stop looking at the flowy with the denim-such a cute combo!

    Why did so many chickens die?! That's insane!
    Let me see about my week....
    Awkward: the 65 year old guy at church who rarely says a word to you coming over and saying "Hey, where'd you get that?" Me: "I'm sorry, what?" Him: "That lace thingy!" Me: "OH! My vest?" Him: "yeah, where'd you get it?" Me: "Maurices, I think." Him: "I like it! Reminds me of the lace my wife put on the roof..." Me: "Oh, thanks..."LOL! Too funny!
    Awesome: losing a total of 14lbs eating chocolate, cheesecake and peanut butter! (THM) Truly blessed to have found this program!

    By the way, how is Willa doing? Is she feeling any better?
    Natasha
    A Modest Fashion Blog:
    www.natashaatkerson.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thanks! We think they just weren't healthy to begin with because one or two would just die every day. :P
      Congratulations on losing 14 lbs! That's totally awesome!
      Willa's not doing so well. :-/ she's been sick to her stomach constantly for about a month or more... not fun! She just finished up some medicine that should make her better in the long run, so hopefully that'll take effect soon. Thanks for your prayers!
      Blessings!

      Delete
    2. I just saw the comment about Willa, I'm constantly sick to my stomach, seriously, I have no relief, and I started taking ginger root in a capsule. I have no words for how much it helped me. Just a recommendation, the ginger is good for you in other ways as well! :) Maybe it would help her!
      Www.modestyismypolicy.blogspot.com

      Delete
  24. Loved the hair tutorial! Thanks! :)

    Probably the most awkward part of my week was being at a football game Friday night, and going to get popcorn for your whole family, which resulted in me carrying a box full of popcorn bags back to our seats. So as I was carrying the box, people kept asking "Is that free popcorn?" "Can I have one?" Then, as I was in the middle of telling this kid "No! This isn't free popcorn!" My friend decides to say hi to me, and so I look around frantically trying to find her. I then realized she was a good friend, and said hi back. But yeah, it was weird.

    Awesome: Small town churches. What more can I say?

    Molly Marie
    mollyslittlecorner.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  25. Yay, I love A+A days! :D Ugh, I cannot for the life of me work a curling iron. I've tried every method, and size I can find, and still NOTHING. I get straight hair with a slight wave or dent at the end. My mum is a pro at curling my hair, yet I can't do it! I will have to try your way.
    -Maia

    ReplyDelete
  26. LOVE your outfit! That skirt is adorable! The photography is neat too! You come up with neat ideas! Who takes your pictures for you?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My 15 yo sister Willa takes them for me! :) She's very creative.

      Delete
  27. What is hair chalking? I love you awkward and awesome posts!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Hi Olivia! I found your blog about a week ago and I love it! I've been trying to dress more modestly lately and your outfits really inspire me :) btw thanks for the hair curling tutorial! it was really helpful

    ReplyDelete
  29. You said your curls stay in for 2-3 days. How do you manage to sleep without messing them up?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I sleep completely flat on my back every night with a rolled up blanket under my neck for a pillow, so I just toss all my hair up above my head as I'm laying down and my curls stay there nicely all night and out of my face... unless I roll around, in which case they take a little more of a beating, but in general I don't crush them even then. :)

      Delete
  30. I make skirts out of jeans! I've been wanting to try one with ruffles for a while. made this one today. http://www.zibbet.com/ReDreamJean/artwork?artworkId=1415725

    ReplyDelete
  31. I was at my Churches BBQ last night, I was helping selling tickets for drinks. One of my Dad's guy friends came up and said "You're all decked out tonight, you have a boyfriend right?" Maybe it was the makeup.......?

    ReplyDelete
  32. Hi! Thanks for the hair curling tutorial! What kind of heat protectant spray do you use? I have a straightener/curling iron that recommends non oil based heat sprays. I guess the oil ones eat away at the metal? Haha.

    ReplyDelete

Fresh Modesty is fashion blog which encourages girls to "Dress outside your box, but inside His Book!" I allow anonymous comments so those without accounts can comment, but I would really appreciate it if you would identify yourself by some form of a name. :) Thank you for taking the time to comment!