Sunday, October 20, 2013

Obedience // in Spring Colors

Hey y'all! How are you today? I'm nursing a sprained knee I got last Friday from... get this... shopping. I went shopping at the Opry Mills Mall and somehow through all that walking/driving/trying on shoes I pulled a muscle in my knee. I got some cute stuff though that I can't wait to show y'all. :)

I'm sorry I went missing this week-- too much to do, too little time, and too many headaches! :P

Our sermon on 10/13/13 was about the difference between accepting Jesus as Savior and trusting Jesus as Lord, working through Romans 6:15-18.

"What then? Shall we sin because we are not under law but under grace? Certainly not! Do you not know that to whom you present yourselves slaves to obey, you are that one’s slaves whom you obey, whether of sin leading to death, or of obedience leading to righteousness? But God be thanked that though you were slaves of sin, yet you obeyed from the heart that form of doctrine to which you were delivered. And having been set free from sin, you became slaves of righteousness."

This is going to be a very tricky sermon to summarize due to the subject matter-- law, good works, and grace. But it is SO important to understand because Jesus is either Lord of all, or not Lord at all in our lives. In our generation, there has been a serious perversion of the gospel in our land-- a movement towards "fire insurance" Christianity which preaches that repentance is not necessary for salvation. That you can go on living your life as you did before you had faith. God's ways having a say in your life is totally an option, 'cause Salvation is all about how it makes man feel.

This isn't what the passage is promoting, is it? Instead, it says that we are either slaves to sin or slaves to righteousness. 1 John 3:4 defines sin as "lawlessness".  Paul is not saying that because we are saved we can now be lawless, still in sin. He begins his whole argument here on the back of telling us that as Christians, we are now under grace and sin has no dominion over us, we are dead to it! But, our fallen minds wrestle with this still and draw false conclusions.

When we read about not being under "law", we think of the 10 commandments and the other moral laws found in the Old Testament, don't we? But in the original text, Paul uses the word for law which means "system of merit". This was so eye-opening to me. We are no longer under a system of merit like we were when we did not have Christ as our Savior... we don't have to earn our way to heaven (and that's not even possible...). We are in a system of grace! Paul isn't saying that the moral law no longer applies to us, he is saying that we are now liberated to obey the law because we have His grace!

There were a couple bullet points that I'm really excited to share with y'all; facts of the gospel life from Romans 6:15-18:
  • You are no longer a slave to sin, but to righteousness. Think about the parallel Paul draws in 6:16-- we expect that when saying that sin leads to death, obedience would lead to the opposite of that-- life... but it doesn't. Instead, the verse says that sin leads to death and obedience leads to righteousness. What Christ was. What we want to be. We can't obey to save our lives. Paul was well-versed in grammar and this parallel was not an accident. He wanted us to meditate on the implicit truth that if we sin, we die. Every sin has consequences. If we yield to sin, the outcome is death. But at the same time, when we obey, it leads to greater righteousness, greater faith.
  • Our quality of life is affected when we sin. There is a deadness that comes. Depression, discouragement, anger, fears-- sin brings about a lack of peace. We cannot think that one sin is inconsequential, because it does affect us.
The beauty is, though, that all this is past tense. We have been saved. When we obey it is not meritorious work, because we do not earn grace. These things and this position in Christ are true of all who are regenerated. He is either Lord of all or not Lord at all. :)

This pink cardigan I found when out shopping last Friday. It's a new favorite! I wish it would stay warm so I could keep wearing it.
Cardigan: Rue21: $5
Belt: Thrift store: 10 cents
Tank: Target: $6
Skirt: Made by me
Boots: Shoe Carnival: $35

ModeEsty.com sent me a big box of stuff and this hat was in there! It matched my outfit perfectly. I love it! Can nevvvver have too many hats! ;)

Well, I've got several fall outfits to share with y'all... hopefully I can find time to actually do that! :) Y'all have a great day! What was your sermon about last week?


35 comments :

  1. Ooh, I love that outfit! The colors are so lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE that sweater! That is a really lovely shade of pink!

    ReplyDelete
  3. YAY! You went to Opry Mills!! ^.^

    I loooove your pink sweater, by the way!! It's so cute and pretty!

    ::hugs in Christ::
    Emily

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very cute outfit! You can always wear the cardigan with a semi-fitted, plain long sleeve shirt when colder days arrive! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very encouraging and truth filled! And the outfit is tres adorable! :) Love the colors:)
    Bubbles and blessings,
    Erica

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hope your knee feels better soon. Our sermon was about Christians facing persecution when they stand alone and in obedience to God's word. Cute outfit and love the hat.

    Victoria

    ReplyDelete
  7. The hat is definitely cute. If your weather is anything like ours, though, it's already almost too cold for the short-sleeves! I'm kind of surprised; last year was so so so mild, but this year seems to be getting cold quickly. Well, cold for the South, haha. At least I get to wear my sweaters, finally?

    I just want to say that I love how often your pastor talks about the past-tense nature of salvation, it already happened, we just have to live it. It's not really something you hear ruminated on all that often.

    ReplyDelete
  8. ooooh! love it!
    ~Grace P.

    ReplyDelete
  9. interesting....I sprained my knee Friday. It was a first for me, I usually sprain an ankle. Adorable outfit! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a beautiful outfit! You're very creative :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I loooove that cardigan! And the way that you tied in the skirt and cardigan colors, with the hat! I'm sorry that you've been getting many headaches lately... They are no fun.
    Our sermon was on Romans 11. Your church seems to be a chapter behind, every week! And in two different countries...

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love your outfit! So cute and becoming!

    Chestercountry.weebly.com
    countryhitchingpost.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. Totally love this outfit....especially that pink cardigan....it is beyond CUTE!!

    Iris♥
    Feminine Modesty

    ReplyDelete
  14. I really like the colors of your outfit ! This skirt is so cute ! I'm definitly gonna look into some fabric of the colors and try my hand at the appliqué like you did ;-) But I wouldn't wear this kind of cardi though it's really cute and feminine because of the length of the sleeves. I've been trying to keep my underarm as much hidden as possible lately. Don't really know why, it's just the way it is ;-)
    Anyways, I'm sooooo looking forward to some fall-themed outfits of yours ;-) I hope your knee will heal quickly and you'll not have to many headaches this week (I know all too well how bad it can be to have headaches because for about 14 months I lived with daily headaches and it was basically a nightmare. Now it only comes a couple times a month, because of the changes I made in my diet and exercising routine, and more importantly by God's grace ;-)
    My sermon yesterday was on Romans 5, verses 1-6. The preacher originally intended to cover the whole chapter, but he didn't not managed to get past verse 6. What he said was really good, he explained our justification and the consequences of the trials we go through, but I wasn't able to take notes because it was hard to follow ! Don't get me wrong : I love how he preaches but he doesn't explain things straight and my "scientific" mind gets all confused ;-)
    Have a blessed week and hope you find time to post this week ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sprained an ankle shopping...I'm sorry, but that is just too funny!
    Hope you figure out soon what's causing your headaches.

    ReplyDelete
  16. If we have been saved, then why does sin still affect us and why do we still sin? Why do we still choose to turn from God at times? From what I have learned, we are redeemed by Christ's death, but we don't have salvation until death, which is the final battle between the devil and our soul on this earth. The graces are there for us to reach Him, but God has given us free will and thus every day we are alive we can make choices that choose Him or reject Him. Due to Christ's death, He won for us the graces we need to reach Him and He always gives us enough graces to choose Him. However, because He wants our love freely, He has us choose to take or reject those graces to love Him. "Not every one that saith to me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven: but he that doth the will of my Father who is in heaven, he shall enter into the kingdom of heaven." Matthew 7:21; This quote brings up another good point of what is the "will of my Father"? Who decides what the will of the Father is? You could say the Bible, but who interprets the Bible then? People come up with all sorts of interpretations to justify their viewpoints. Anyways, this could go on and on :) I love these discussions :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Just an idea, have you had your eyes checked?
    I used to have headaches all the time and we figured out I needed glasses.
    When I don't wear them, I get headaches!
    I LOVE that outfit! You look so pretty in pink :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love the skirt :) And the pink works so well with it.
    Still searching for a skirt like this or a khaki skirt in Germany. The US seems to be a much easier place to find long modest skirts. All I can find over here are short, flimsy cotton skirts. But I can´t imagine, who is not freezing in em in this climate. Really wish I had more options over here. :(
    Btw: Love your sermon notes. They are always so encouraging.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi Olivia! I have been so blessed by your blog! It has given me so many ideas and encouraged me in my walk with Christ!
    As fall takes over here in Colorado, I have been trying to figure out my winter wardrobe. What tips do you have for keeping warm with skirts? So far I have just worn a slip-like garment under my skirt to make it warmer, but I don't know how well that will work on some of the super-freezing days we have. Winter here is up and down. We have gorgeous days and really cold days!

    How are things up in Tennessee? I visited my grandparents in Memphis just this summer, and I couldn't get over the humidity! Most of my mother's family lives in Tennessee and Arkansas, and my dad's family lives in Tennessee and Kentucky. I was born in the south, but am more of a Colorado girl since I have been raised here. Have you been to Colorado before?

    I hope your headaches go away and your sprained knee heals! God Bless!

    P:S: This week's sermon was delivered by a man from India whose ministry, Vision Nationals, has planted churches in India and other Asian nations. They also have a seminary and an orphanage. His testimony was so blessed! He told us that he had been a serious Buddhist who believed Jesus was just one of the gods. Now he believes Jesus is the one and only Lord! It was a very blessed Sunday! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You could try wearing leggings under longer skirts. I wear leggings under my skirts most of the time just because I like to dance and move around alot!

      Delete
    2. Thanks for the suggestion, Maggie! I appreciate it :). God Bless!!!

      Delete
  21. Love this outfit! For the cooler days, what if you were to wear a longer sleeve shirt underneath? I'm not sure how it would look, just thought that I should mention it! :) Feel better soon! Sprained ankles and headaches are no fun!

    Rebekah

    beautifulapostale.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wow, that is a cute cardigan! I want one like it!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  23. Such a cute outfit! Love the pastel theme!
    *sigh* I haven't been posting my outfits either! Life has gotten insane for apparently no reason lately!
    Not to mention I need a shower! My bangs get more greasy than anything else, so the rest of my hair is clean....
    Oh well! Go with the flow, right?!
    Natasha
    A Modest Fashion blog:
    www.natashaatkerson.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  24. Pretty! That's my sister's favorite color of pink.
    And I'll have to look into some appliqes!

    ~Mary

    ReplyDelete
  25. I'm loving this outfit! The pink sweater is so cute! And the hat is a very good touch :)
    I really like what you posted about your sermon. Very encouraging! We've been going through the book of Exodus, and my pastor has been putting it in ways that I've never seen it in. He has this way of presenting Bible chapters like you've never thought of them, and in a good way. Throughout Exodus, we've been learning that from the very second God called Moses, and told him how He was going to lead him and his people to the promise land, Moses was going to have to live every single second of his life from that moment on in complete faith. Every moment of it. We've also been learning how God wants to use us in His great plan. Sure, He could do it without us, but He wants us there with Him. Sure, God could have defeated Pharaoh on His own, but He called Moses to do it with Him. My pastor said "People say sit back and watch God fight your battles, but truth is, God wants you there with Him, because He wants to use you."
    So, that's a little bit of what we've been learning in our journey through Exodus. It's been really eye-opening and interesting. I can't wait to see what else we'll learn!

    Molly Marie
    mollyslittlecorner.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  26. Olivia - that pastel rainbow hat that I sent to you looks so cute and perfect on you!

    Eriko Grill, owner and designer
    The Hottest Modest Fashion by ModeEsty.com

    ReplyDelete

Fresh Modesty is fashion blog which encourages girls to "Dress outside your box, but inside His Book!" I allow anonymous comments so those without accounts can comment, but I would really appreciate it if you would identify yourself by some form of a name. :) Thank you for taking the time to comment!