Sunday, November 17, 2013

Wages of Sin // in Bold Colors

Hey y'all! This week I was working to take care of some things that have been hanging over my head and consuming my time, so hopefully now I'll have opportunity to catch up on all these blog post drafts! :)

 I am several weeks behind in sharing church outfits and sermon notes. Reading through my notebook to see if I could just skip or condense one or two together, several points that had kind of confused me before became clear.  I was encouraged all over again by these messages and I'm afraid I just have to share; to remind myself of God's intricate, beautiful Words to us. 

The sermon text on 10.20.13 was Romans 6:19-23. In verse 18, Paul says, "having been set free from sin, you became slaves to righteousness" and then promptly says, "I speak in human terms". By that he means this isn't the best picture, but he's speaking on our level. So, he gives us a point of comparison and a point of contrast for this analogy.
The comparison is that whether to sin or to righteousness, we present our members, offer ourselves, to something. The term means to show to be true. Think of the slavery going on in the 1770's, when 50,000+ people were captured and shipped off. Essentially, they were no longer their own. They were beaten into submission. The children born to them were also made to submit and eventually slavery is all they knew. And when slavery is all you know, even if your heart's desire is to be free, you yield to the master and have a resolve of submission. So is the life of sin. The Pharisees were so used to this slavery, they didn't know they were in bondage.
The point should be made here that we are not in slave to sin because we were innocently captured and forced into it. Rather, we are bondslaves-- un-free people who are attempting to repay a debt we owe. Thing is, that debt literally goes on for eternity.
But now that we have been set free from bondage to sin, we are, in Christ, a slave of righteousness. As we use this analogy as a comparison, the point is that we will recognize our circumstances and respond accordingly. We yield to sin or we yield to righteousness.

Now as a point of contrast, the fruit that comes out of slavery is obedience to sin, but when man bows his knee and his neck to Christ, He will raise that man up to beyond Eden. We often think about wanting to get back to our pre-fall state as unblemished Christians. But, what we have in Christ is so much greater than what we had in the Garden! As God's children, we are co-heirs with Christ of His kingdom. We are Christ's Bride, His beloved. We are invited to the marriage supper of the Lamb! God is so good to us.

My pastor told the story of St. Patrick, who was a slave in Ireland for 7 years before he ran away. He returned to the country where he was enslaved as a missionary. As a slave to God, he started 300 churches.
Paul doesn't like the negative connotation that slavery often has as he uses this analogy to describe how we are slaves to righteousness. What we need to realize though is what a huge privilege it is.

They way the text is worded, we have been (passively) set free. Someone did that for you. And now we are free to live for Christ. We are now called to a life of quality, of sharing in the divine qualities of Christ. Union with the Father, help of the Holy Spirit, love of God, etc. Wow.  We cannot fathom this love. Taken out of a selfish worldview and into a God-glorifying attitude, we have to remind ourselves of our union with Christ.

"The wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life." How many times have we heard that verse? Until this sermon, I never really understood how amazing that is. Wages is what a man receives for what he has done. Our payment for sin is death. But the gift. GIFT. of God is eternal LIFE.

We have been given this grace lavishly. In Christ, we should not be able to tolerate any act of sin in our lives because we are slaves to righteousness now, "to have your fruit to holiness, and the end, everlasting life". We are not earning righteousness, like we earn wages of sin. No, we have been given Jesus's righteousness and are called to live. that. out. Because we have been serving sin for so long, it can be difficult to serve a new Master. But by His grace, we will.

Sweater: Sears? $4
Skirt: Thrift store: $5?
Shoes: Walmart: $20
Earrings: F21: $3
Scarf: Birthday gift! (I also used it as a headcovering during service)
What I loved most about this outfit was the sparkles. I love glitter and sparkles and bright colors. 
These pictures are almost a month old now and I'm realizing how bare the trees are now! Fall is such a pretty time. :) 


Well, hope you were as encouraged by that sermon as I was! And they just keep getting better and better and better...
What was y'alls sermon about this week? Whatcha think? Are you a glitter and bold colors person or do you prefer subdued hues? Have a great day!


35 comments :

  1. I really really really like this outfit. And your shoes! :)

    ♥ aspirer

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is such a cute outfit and your shoes are adorable!!
    I love bright colors, sparkles and glitter too!!!

    ~Julie

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have really enjoyed reading all your posts, and getting ideas on how to dress fashionably and modestly! I do have a question- I've noticed that you dont wear headcoverings all the time, but you occasionally mention wearing them... do you wear them just for service?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful photos! I like the scarf!

    ReplyDelete
  5. this outfit is so cute, Olivia!! I'm not very bold accessorizing, (beyond earrings, shoes and the occasional necklace,) but I actually wore a scarf to church today, which was a huge step for me. ;) I was rather proud of myself. :) I guess I am leaning more towards the bold colors, but am still kinda suck in the subdued hues, because I'm a little scared of overdoing it and looking ridiculous. :)

    I love the sparkles on the skirt. Adds a fun extra "pop."

    ReplyDelete
  6. Pretty cool! The purple and blue are quite something! Love the skirt.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sort of off topic-but did you know the founding fathers voted to end slavery back in the 1750's? But it lost by one vote! Insane!
    I LOVE the color of that shirt! And those shoes! Although I have to say, I would for sure kill myself in those high of heels! I'm definintely a 1 1/2" person! ;)
    Have a fantastic night, Olivia!
    Thanks for your encouragement and example of "fresh modesty"!
    Your sister in Christ,
    Natasha
    A Modest Fashion Blog:
    www.natashaatkerson.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is such a beautiful outfit... I would totally wear it. The shoes are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I LOVE the shoes!

    ~ Esther

    ReplyDelete
  10. I tried to comment, but I think I hit a wrong button and it did not go through - if you receive two comments from me, just don't publish this one and accept my apologies :)

    Bold colors are definitely my thing; I actually posted on my own blog my church outfit yesterday, and bold colors DEFINITELY are involved. I have a tendency to be very subdued at church as far as outfits go, just because I'm never totally comfortable dressed up, but I'm trying to take your example and let my own style still work with being appropriate for a church setting. I ended up liking the outfit so much I did a blog post on it, put a photo on Pinterest, AND wore it all day to run errands. So there you go. It's really rare for me to like a dress-up outfit enough to do that; so, I guess your influence is helping me, haha.

    Our sermon was titled "Your Money or Your Life". It was based on Jesus' parable in Luke about the man who asks Jesus to force his brother to split their inheritance with him, and Jesus tells a story in response of the rich man whose harvest is so great he cannot contain it in his own barn; rather than give that excess to the poor and hungry, the rich man decides just to knock down his barns and build bigger ones, and is that night scolded by God, his life demanded from him, and asked what good would this hoarding of wealth do, when it comes to the Kingdom of God? We also used a verse from Timothy in this sermon, too.

    The pastor spoke about the danger of, essentially, the prosperity gospel - this idea that God blesses us with wealth and that therefore we should hoard it or be selfish with it, that this would in some way please God... when Jesus is very clear that the opposite is true; to hoard wealth is to make it ever harder for yourself to enter the Kingdom of God. It was... kind of a short sermon (there were a lot of announcements early on, and there are two church sessions so things have to be timed really carefully), but I really enjoyed it. In Sunday School we're working through Philip Yancy's "What's So Amazing About Grace?" and talked about legalism, politics, and other dangers to our ability to see the world through "grace healed eyes". It was a really good morning. And the coffee was good yesterday morning, too, ha.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That is such a great sermon and such a gorgeous outfit!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the outfits! I'm more of a 'dress really colorful person.' Love the glitter!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love your outfit, it is really modest and I like how you did the blue/purple combo! The shoes are awesome too. I am more of a bright colors and glitter person, but not too much glitter. :) You said the earrings were from Forever21 for $3....that's a great price! Did you buy them online or at a store?

    ReplyDelete
  14. That is one purty outfit! Yes, I definitely like bold colors but like subdued neutrals as well. Sparkles are such fun!

    Our sermon was titled "A Marrying Kind of Faith". We are going through the life of Abraham and are to the spot when he sends his servant to find a wife for Issac. It was a really good sermon! Pastor talked, about the faith in God that Abraham had knowing God would provide a wife for his son. He also talked about the more "practical" side of the story such as how important it is for the right guy and gal to marry, and what things to look for in a Godly spouse. For the fathers, pastor talked about how to determine if a young man is ready to take on a wife and if he is the right spouse for your daughter.

    Have a great week! Am looking forward to possibly seeing more posts!
    Maria

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you so much for posting about your sermon. I was very blessed by the thoughts. Nothing really knew for me, but I needed to be reminded! :) What wonderful blessings we have in Christ!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I LOVE THAT SCARF! it is sooooo cute!
    ~Grace Pierpont

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love the purple and the sparkles :)

    whimsicalramblingsdaydreams.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love the skirt! And the whole outfit looks great. BTW, I am one of Willa's friends from Ohio and my name is Margaret.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Dear Olivia, I'm probably not your average fan but,you bless my heart!! I'm a 60 yr old grama.Women today dress or i think undress as they please.God is not pleased,if your his daughter even more so.It is so encouraging to see a young beautiful Christian showing her sisters in the Lord a better way and how to be a Godly woman!Many my age won't hear of it.Keep pressing on!!!Janette

    ReplyDelete
  20. Such an interesting combination! I actually like the colours and sparkles in this outfit. :) I would have never thought of putting the purple of the scarf, with the blue top! Love the ruched detailing on the sweater!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Your sermon was absolutely beautiful! Thank you sooo much for sharing it and for continually encouraging young ladies in not only modesty, but in the ways of the Lord. I've been thinking a lot about this the very issue of slavery (whether to sin or to righteousness) for a while, as many issues in life seem to tie into it. Your writing was so helpful! Your outfit is beautiful, too!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wow. These pictures are a.m.a.z.i.n.g. Liv. Awesome lighting + really good colors on you + Willa's ever-improving photography = faaaaaabulous! You have no idea how much I admire you for summarizing the sermon each week so wonderfully well. :) You rock sister. (Aka- I love you)

    -Your first younger sister, namely, me, Emma.

    ReplyDelete
  23. So beautiful! I love the colors and all of the outfit.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hello Olivia! I came across your blog about a week or two ago. And I love your blog!! You've inspired me to be creative with the way you do your outfits. I really think it's awesome!! :) Keep it up, Olivia!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Beautiful skirt! And those shoes are awsome :).

    ReplyDelete
  26. The jewel tones look really great on you!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Hello Olivia,
    Virginia from the S&S Forum. Beautiful outfit :) I like how scarfs look, but have not ventured out of my "box" to wear any. So that will be part of my goal this WIFD. We are trying to plan one for the first week of Dec. I am hoping you will join the fun! .They are such an inspiration to see the beautiful creative outfits the ladies put together.
    God Bless,
    Virginia

    ReplyDelete
  28. love Love LOVE the shoes, dahling. FantABulous.:)
    Our sermon last week was all about abiding in Christ and it was awesome!
    Blessings and bubbles,
    Erica

    ReplyDelete
  29. Hi Olivia! I really like the scarf. We have just started going through Romans too! Our last one was from Romans 1:15-17.

    E.S

    ReplyDelete
  30. great post and fantastic outfit! you look lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  31. LOVE the outfit Olivia!
    ~CountryDollStudios

    ReplyDelete
  32. Oliva, I was wondering what brand your shoes are. I, going on a daddy daughter date with my daddy. I don't have anything real dressy and I thought the shoes would add a nice simple touch. . :)
    -Brandi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Brandi! The shoes are L.E.I. brand. I bought them over 4 years ago though so I doubt they're still in production. Sorry! Hope you find some cute ones!

      Delete
  33. That outfit makes you shimmer and glow!
    And that scarf is amazing!

    ReplyDelete

Fresh Modesty is fashion blog which encourages girls to "Dress outside your box, but inside His Book!" I allow anonymous comments so those without accounts can comment, but I would really appreciate it if you would identify yourself by some form of a name. :) Thank you for taking the time to comment!