Friday, December 6, 2013

Fresh Modesty's 2013 Gift Guide

 

Hey y'all! I thought it would be a lot of fun to share with you some of my favorite beauty, clothing, and sewing products from the year in case you are at a loss for to what to put on your Christmas list or get for your daughter! :)

 

A spiral hair curler. I was given the Conair Infiniti YOU CURL Curling Wandfor my birthday and boy do I love it! It for-reals cut my hair curling time by a third and breakage from the clampy part of my curling iron is no more! :) I use the same method I showed in this video. Totally worth $20.

The Reclaiming Beauty Study Course. Seriously, girls. This should be required listening for every pre/teenage girl and woman. I cannot speak highly enough about how gracefully and practically Anna Sophia and Elizabeth address how to reclaim the beauty that God created into His world from the world. I learned so much and gained huge encouragement from their solid reasoning, real life examples, and biblical view of this often very confusing and emotional topic. It's on sale through December 25th for just $27.30. Get it. Mothers, if you're at all struggling to get your daughters to understand what true beauty is and how to dress for the Lord, this would be a great tool for you to study together.

Another great resourse for every girl is this one: Uncompromising: A Heart Claimed By a Radical Love by Hannah Farver. This is one of the few books I have ever re-read because it was just that good and encouraging. In our struggle to keep up with daily tasks, sometimes we can forget what the heart of our purpose here is and Hannah in a friendly, awesome way brings massive enthusiasm to living for Christ. All of my friends who have read this book were equally encouraged and I really wish I could get it into the hands of every Christian girl on the planet. :)


Love me a high-quality sugar scrub for the harsh winter months. I'm hoping to do a post on Cabin Fever sometime this season and will totally rave about how much I love scrubs, but in the meantime, I would suggest looking on Etsy.com for an organic/natural sugar scrub with lots of nourishing oils as a fabulous stocking stuffer. I am spoiled to have a neighbor who makes amazing whipped scrubs better than anything I could have ever made myself and I am totally willing to pay for this luxury. Being given one as a gift is even better!

If you like to give or be given clothes for Christmas, the money could go a lot farther if you shop at ThredUp! I have ordered from them twice now and have been happy with the quality and selection of the clothes I got. Plus, if you use this link, you'll have a free $10 to spend! :)

I like to buy myself gifts this time of year, too. :) eShakti.com is having an awesome 35% off site-wide sale until December 9, 2013. If you use this link, you can also get $30 off your first purchase! Which means that the above super cute dress you could get for only $8.95! Eeep! I have one dress from them that I love!

If you at all dabble in sewing, it would be silly to not have one of these babies. One thing I haaaated about sewing when I first started was all the loose pins and the time it took to poke each one securely in the pincushion. My aunt gave a Grabbit Magnetic Pin Cushion to me my first year of sewing and it totally solved those frustrations and streamlined my process. If you want to encourage yourself or your daughter to enjoy sewing, def get one of these asap. ;)


Another thing that really encourages new sewers is a machine that actually works. ;) I begged for this machine after a year and a half of getting frustrated at my mom's old machine. The SINGER 7469Q Confidence Quilter Computerized Sewing and Quilting Machine has worked awesome for me for these 5 years and it's not showing any signs of stopping any time soon. I include this because I often get asked what machine I have and I cannot stress enough how much it helps the sewing vibe to have a machine that runs with such ease. :)

And, I can't have a gift guide without promoting my own eBooks, now can I? ;) If you or your daughter are at all sewing inclined and would like to learn how to make modest custom swimwear or durable, feminine denim skirts, please check out my website: freshmodesty.com. They are written for beginners and teach many useful sewing skills along the way, as well as give you confidence by step-by-step, picture by picture showing you how to draft patterns to fit your body. :) There is lots more information on the website if you're interested.

I just realized how pretty random this list is, but that's okay, right? These are the things that have stood out in my mind over the last month or so as things that would improve the lives of my readers. ;) I'll be honest and say that some of the links above do give me some sort of affiliate credit but all opinions are mine. :) I would be especially grateful if you used the ThredUp and eShakti links soon, though! :) What are some things on your Christmas list?



25 comments :

  1. I love the eShakti dresses but was wondering how the bust line fit. The photos on their site show the dresses as being rather fitted. Are they dresses that could be worn with a cardigan if necessary? Thank you!

    thebluetreehouse.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good observation! When I ordered, I just added a few inches to my bust an underbust measurement (they'll tailor for just a couple bucks) and it isn't tight at all and fits and looks fine! But, yes, I think some of the dresses could be super cute with a cardigan. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is just about the perfect list Olivia!
    I love Anna Sophia and Elisabeth! :) I will have to read the Uncompromising book. Thanks for the recommendation! :)
    I really, really want to buy a dress from eShakti! I think that I will... now! :)
    I had on my 'list' your sewing e-books, but broke down and bought them myself- too inpatient for them! :)
    love,
    Cassie

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was going to get a Eshakti dress for my piano recital tonight, but when I went on the site on monday, I realized that it was 12 days at the least to ship. :( oh well. I love all of these picks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks so much for sharing, Olivia! I was also blessed by the Botkin sisters' webinar (it gave lots of things to consider and study!) and am happy to own your fabulous e-books! I've heard about that book by Hannah Farver - it looks excellent and may go on my "list." ;) Blessings and have a wonderful December!

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are really good ideas, Olivia! I may use some of them. Thanks! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have the exact same sewing machine and I love it! I have sewed everything from crib sheets to knits to quilts on it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great list, Olivia!
    I especially wish that I lived in the US just so I could order from Eshakti (they don't ship internationally), order from Thredup and have free postage for the Amazon curling wand... Sounds silly, I know. :) Maybe the Reclaiming Beauty Study Course is accessible. It sounds really good!

    ReplyDelete
  9. All of them sound great! I was wondering, would you mind checking my blog out? I just started it and I could use some tips. :)

    Blessings!
    ~Ellie

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have a magnetic pin cushion like yours. It is great!! I use it all the time. It is also great if I drop some pins. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks Olivia for the links, I already ordered this adorable dress! http://www.eshakti.com/Product/CL0028623/Tipped%20trim%20Peter%20Pan%20collar%20dress

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great list, thanks for sharing, Olivia. Annnd, thanks for your referal code, I got myself a LBD from eShakti! =)

    ReplyDelete
  13. How much is the shipping from eshakti? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  14. awesome ideas! I totally agree about the Botkin Sisters webinar series-wish EVERY girl could see that!! Such amazing material..
    I also have the same magnetic pin cushion and love it. =)
    And thanks for that coupon-I may very well end up ordering that dress too!
    -Chels
    (www.chelsyrenee.com)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks Olivia for the suggestions! :) I totally may use some of them!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wonderful ideas!

    Also, thanks so much for the discount to eShakti :) I've been needing a dress for a dance at the end of this month, and I was able to find a beautiful one there, the price ending up being only $18.50 combining yours and their discount! Woot!

    Also, I've been following your blog for a while (just never commented), and I wanted to thank you for all the encouragement and help it's given me ever since I started reading it :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love magnetic pincushions!

    ReplyDelete
  18. That study course by the Botkin sisters sounds awesome! I'll have to check it out. :) Thanks for the recommendation!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I ordered from Thred-up and Eshakti. got some things really cheap, thanks to the referral coupon!

    ReplyDelete
  20. check out beyondglitter.blogspot.com thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  21. This can make a great Christmas gift: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=321272920974

    ReplyDelete
  22. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=321272920974

    ReplyDelete
  23. Love the sewing machine idea. I might use that for my sister. ~ Sarah

    ReplyDelete

Fresh Modesty is fashion blog which encourages girls to "Dress outside your box, but inside His Book!" I allow anonymous comments so those without accounts can comment, but I would really appreciate it if you would identify yourself by some form of a name. :) Thank you for taking the time to comment!