Friday, December 13, 2013

Romans Review // in Purple + Poncho

Hey y'all! How are you doing this lovely day? Due to travel, a crazy family schedule, not having a laptop of my own, and mostly just being increasingly fatigued lately, I have gotten very behind in posting, which is driving me batty. :P So, here I am with an outfit from the end of October. It's been one of my favorites of the season. :)

Since it's been a while since we've talked about Romans, the sermon from 10.27.13 is conveniently a review of what we've covered so far. The thankfulness and joy that has filled my heart after hearing these messages seriously just keeps getting stronger and I feel as if my heart will burst every week!

In chapter 6, (posts here, here, here, here, here, here, and here) Paul brought us right up to the "knife edge" of grace. Imagine a knife on edge (like this: | ) and on one side is legalism, the other side immorality, libertinism. The ridge is grace and we are called to walk on that ridge. Both of those errors have the same root cause and as we move into chapter 7 shortly he wants to continue to keep us on that edge.

The Word of God has a theme as a whole and sometimes we need to step back from examining the tree bark to see the beauty of the tree.
It wasn't very far into Romans before we were introduced to the idea of righteousness, which is used over 100 times in this book. In 1:18-3:20, the emphasis is that there is none righteous, no not one. We are condemned, and God is just. In 3:21 the question is, "How do we get into the kingdom, then, if we are totally wretched?" Believe. Not just mentally give ascent that, sure, God is there. But trust what He says. His promises, His Word.
In Chapter 5, we learn that we are justified by faith alone. The just shall live by faith. This means two things: 1) that we have peace with God and 2) we have access to God because we are justified! Lest we think the act of our faith is how we gain salvation, 5:20 reminds us about the "wall of the law" between us and God. How totally unable in ourselves we are to fulfill the law and meet the requirements the Lord has for us. "But where sin abounded, grace abounded much more, so that as sin reigned in death, even so grace might reign through righteousness to eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord." It's His grace, y'all, that enables us to have access to the Father. We need to realize chapters 1-3 (there is none righteous) before we can possibly be humbled by chapters 4-5. By the law is the knowledge of sin, but grace is much more abounding. 

Paul addresses two "missteps" or wrong conclusions that our fallen minds may, knowingly or unknowingly, veer towards as we walk the knife edge of grace in chapters 6 and 7. The former deals with libertine (acting without moral constraint) tendencies and the latter with legalism. 

"What shall we say then? Shall we continue to sin that grace may abound? God forbid!" "Shall we sin because we are not under law but under grace? Certainly not!" "Or do you not know, brethren (for I speak to those who know the law), that the law has dominion over a man as long as he lives?" There is a pendulum swinging between these two errors and I know I sometimes feel like Tarzan swaying from one to the other. But--they have the same reality at heart. With both errors, we are not living by grace. We are called to walk the knife edge where the pure grace of God is, trusting Him. 


This outfit was a delight to wear. :D I was so happy to find another way to wear a favorite dress. :) 
This poncho/ "church blanket" as we somehow got to calling it I acquired from my great aunt and great grandmother's closet. We wear it so often! 

Dress: $5: Charity Shop
Poncho: Handmedown
Boots: $35: SteinMart
Hat: Sears: $3

After church that week, our family went on a "it's fall!" walk around our property, exploring areas I'd never been to before. I swapped to a pair of jeans, long sleeved shirt and kept the poncho on which made it modest to our standards since it covers my backside. :) Here's a picture, for those of you who have asked about modest pants outfits. Please ignore the knee brace-- that was from my shopping injury. :P

Hope y'all are having a fantastic week! Fan of ponchos or not so much? Blessings!


26 comments :

  1. How did you injure yourself shopping? That is some serious shopping. ;) I love your outfits!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha! And my knee was out for like 2 weeks! I went shopping at the Opry Mills Mall and somehow through all that walking/driving/trying on shoes I pulled a muscle in my knee. :p

      Delete
  2. simply beautiful! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love ponchos (or capes as I call them) and have two that I wear almost all winter. It doesn't get too cold here so I rarely need a heavy coat. Love your pretty dress and the boots you paired with them.

    Victoria

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is what I call them too. I love ponchos (pull over your head) & capes but always find them difficult with purses. I have a black knit cape with a big collar & togal closure that has fantastic fringe but... it is a lot of black to counteract (am a color girl). When I throw it of to see if it will work it usually makes me look like I am heading to a funeral. Ideas anyone? Oh, & it is about mid thigh length.
      Your outfit Olivia is a fav of mine too! :)
      God bless!
      ~Mary

      Delete
  4. I love seeing the modest pant outfits. I live on a farm, ride horses and etc 24/7 and it's hard to do that stuff in skirts, so I always seem to be trying to find new and modest ways to wear my comfy jeans. :)) I LOVE the "church blanket" haha!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pretty dress!

    Our sermon this last week at the church I've been attending was about Advent and coming of Jesus; the title of it was "Threat or Promise?", and the pastor spoke about the idea of viewing the coming of Jesus and belief in Him as a threat - "Believe in me or be damned" vs. a promise - "Believe in me and be delivered", and putting all that expectation and prophecy and all into the body of this tiny infant. There's a blogger I read who talked about "The One who created all Light curling Himself into this little person in the dark". I've been thinking about that a lot, lately and the sermon on Sunday was kind of a cool reiteration of some of the thoughts I was having.

    Also I love that you injured yourself shopping. There's dedication, right there!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow you look so different wearing pants! :) makes you look taller.
    ~Grace P.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this outfit! I love especially the second picture.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just love it! I really like ponchos! I hope your leg is better....I've sprained my ankle once. OW! Have a good day, and hey, check out my G+ page, we got a new dog!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have a poncho, but I don't like it that much. Yours looks a little nicer than mine since it looks a lot more like a cape and not a totally-cover-my-top-which-could-have-been-cute poncho :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow Olivia! Your outfits get better and better every single time! I love it! Your Poncho is just adorable. Hope you knee will start healing, having an injured leg does not sound fun. Thank you so much for posting, Olivia! I absolutely loved it.

    Ashley B.

    ReplyDelete
  11. you look awesome! that poncho rocks!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lovely Olivia!
    It has been such a delight in reading your summaries of the Romans sermon series! :)
    I usually don't wear ponchos just because they are not very easy to find ones that are not frumpy from the stores I shop- being thrift shops. :)

    Much love,
    Cassie

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love your hat! And your hair seems really long, mine takes forever to grow! :)
    It looks really cute.

    Juli

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love the poncho! Although I've never really worn one in public before (I don't own any yet.) Fabulous beret and dress! And I like those boots very, very, much. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. That hat looks super adorable on you, Olivia!
    I love the way capes look, I just can't seem to pull them off myself...oh well! Looks good on!
    Thanks for encouraging all of these young ladies in their modest fashion endeavors!
    In Christ,
    Natasha
    A Modest Fashion Blog:
    www.natashaatkerson.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hey Olivia! I really love your outfits and look forward to your posts! Your blog has really encouraged me over the past few months since I discovered it. :)
    I was wondering if yo have any recommendations as to where to find ponchos/tunics that are long enough. I have a hard time finding them at thrift stores and wondered if you had any suggestions as to how to find (or style/make/alter?) them.
    Thanks so much! --Natalie

    ReplyDelete
  17. I truly enjoyed this. I find walking the 'edge' was much easier before having children. I now find myself swinging back and forth all over the place! I recently read the book, "Give them Grace" by Elyse Fitzpatrick and Jessica Thompson, and it has encouraged me greatly! I'm 38, and while maybe a little on the 'old' side to be following your blog, I have only recently been convicted on modesty and your blog has been such an encouragement! Plus, my sweet Gracie just turned 8, and I am soaking up so much to be able to teach her that I was never taught. May God bless you and all your hard efforts to make this blog the wonderful ministry that it is:)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love the poncho and hat combo!

    ReplyDelete
  19. A vary pretty outfit! And Great to see you back! I thought something might of happened to you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Don't really enjoy wearing ponchos, as I like my arms to be free, but I think they look awesome. Great combination!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Never really liked wearing ponchos, as I like my arms to be free, but I think they look great. Love your combination!

    ReplyDelete
  22. hey Olivia! this is Rachel Dixon,i have never commented before but i am a huge fan/reader of your blog and i am 13 years old.I thought it would be a cool idea to turn the song by one direction "what makes you beautiful" into a Christian song,referring to how God sees us and loves us because we are his beautiful creations! maybe you could look up the lyrics to see what i mean.Any way i thought i would share this with you because i know how passionate you are about bringing out Gods beauty in you and how young girls should know they are fearfully and wonderfully made! thank you for taking the time to read this and i hope you will tell me what you think:) just thought of it today and thought you would enjoy my idea:)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Love the boots! ~ Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  24. I sure have a lot of catching up to do after my blogging break. I hope your knee is doing better now, but if it's any consolation, it looks rather stylish with your poncho. :)

    ReplyDelete

Fresh Modesty is fashion blog which encourages girls to "Dress outside your box, but inside His Book!" I allow anonymous comments so those without accounts can comment, but I would really appreciate it if you would identify yourself by some form of a name. :) Thank you for taking the time to comment!