Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Year in Review | 2013

Howwwdy! I've been doing a lot of reflection the last couple weeks about 2013 and all that happened, how I've grown, and how much is still the same. One huge thing in my life has been this blog and my website and all the incredible opportunities it has placed before me over the course of this year. I thought I'd share with you the most popular posts, my favorite outfits of the year, news of what's gone on, and the blogs that have encouraged me the most personally.

| Top 5 Most Popular Posts of 2013 |


These are the top 5 most visited pages, based on views. I have a sneaking suspicion that the pants and swimsuit posts ranked on this list because of their controversial nature, whereas the t-shirt and cami review posts were popular because of the actual helpfulness of the posts. :) And why the last one got so many views I have no idea. It did have a very-requested video in the post, so maybe that's why. ;) 

| My Favorite Outfits of 2013 |
It was hard to choose only 5 favorite outfits! I didn't deliberate too much, but these are the ones that stood out to me, in no particular order. The 1st one I love the colors and textures of. And that headband. The 2nd is just fun for me. The tiny rose print of the cardigan mixed with the printed socks and heels just make me happy. :) 3rd, I was really comfortable and happy with my birthday outfit. It was exactly what the day called for and I love it when that happens. 4th, pink and denim is one of the best combinations. Plus, I really like my hair in that picture. ;) 5th, this skirt and shirt are so easy and perfect together, plus the watch/bracelet is fab. 
What were your favorite outfits of mine this year? I was so surprised that so many of y'all commented saying you liked that polkadotted dress with yellow! I love it, but not that much. ;)

 | Fresh Modesty News 2013 | 
There were so many new things in regards to my business and blog! This time last year, I launched my new eBook and website. That was a huge adventure and the success of it has been phenomenal, selling over 170 copies so far! I hope to update the Show and Tell page soon with many of the beautiful skirts ladies have made! I also branched out and advertised on the between-session slides at the Family Economics & Discipleship Conference in St. Louis back in May. That was really, really weird to see my stuff playing before a room of so many people. 
The following week, really last-minute, I was given an opportunity to have a booth at the Teach Them Diligently Conference in Nashville! That was a growing experience to engage complete strangers in conversation and try to sell them something! What made it easier and more enjoyable was getting to spend so much time with my booth neighbors, Blimey Cow! We're still pals. 

Here are a couple places this blog was featured that I may have neglected to share with y'all! 
| The Blogs I Read in 2013 |
I used to be a huge blog-reader. I would spend an hour or two every day pouring over my favorite Biblical Womanhood blogs and websites and forums. But, that kind of time is no more for me, so I have only kept up reading a very few this year. These blogs have really encouraged personal growth for me this year:
  • Wool and Wanderlust. This is the blog of a good friend's sister-in-law who is living in Scotland with her 3 babies, husband, and incredible healthy, purposeful style. She's only 10 months older than me but I am so inspired by her intentionality and joy as she lives the life of a wife and mother. If a mom of three littles can do things naturally and organically in a "strange" land, so can I. ;) 
  • Little House In The Hills. Tricia's little girls were featured in a FOFM post earlier this year. This is another "mommy" blog that has inspired me in my singleness. Tricia's enthusiasm and incredible self-control and thoughtfulness as she budgets and makes lists has rubbed off on me and I'm super excited to stick to a strict budget this coming year. As soon as I see a new post is up, I stop and read it. Her posts are usually easy, quick, fun reads that encourage me to keep going during a hard day. 
  • Gingham at Five-Thirty. This is a new blog run by my good true-blue southern friend Claire. I went through and read all of her back-posts (there weren't too many) and was very encouraged. I have them coming to my email inbox (usually about every other day) and they're a great reminder to be thinking hospitably, even if just for my family. 
  • And of course, my fav fellow modest fashion bloggers: Bramblewood Fashion, Natasha Atkerson, and Creations By Callie
So, there ya go, some brief reflection on what 2013 has held. I have a funny feeling 2014 is going to be even better. I would love to hear your thoughts on all this! What have been your favorite posts this year? What blogs are on the top of your list? 

Thank you all SO MUCH for reading and for all the comments you leave! I am seriously so blessed by y'all! Huge hug to each of you. :) 



21 comments :

  1. Heh heh :) Blimey Cow! Anyway...This was such a great post, Olivia. Sometimes, it seems really overwhelming when you think a whole year has passed, and you did a great job pointing some things out ;) I definitely think 2014 will hold surprises :)

    -C

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a cool idea for a post! I think I may do a review in January. :)

    My favorite blogs are, in no order, Calico Clodhoppers, Boyer Family Singers, The Fictionisa, Natasha's (For some reason auto-correct is refusing her last name, haha!) and of course, yours! Your blog is the first fashion blog I had ever read, let alone followed, and you inspired me to make my own, so of course, you're in my top 5! (and I follow a LOT of blogs, lol!)

    My favorite outfit of yours is probably this one- http://freshmodesty.blogspot.com/2013/10/mall-shopping-outfit.html because it fits in with my life so well, and it's pretty much what I wear on a daily basis! :)

    Thank you for being an inspiration!

    Www.modestyismypolicy.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Olivia!

    I enjoyed reading this post so much! I think my favorite post that I've read so far is the one where you did a make-up tutorial. I loved all the points you made about using make-up to enhance the beauty God has given us as young ladies. I've been so encouraged by what I've read on here, it's so nice to be able to read another blog with high standards on modesty!

    May God bless you richly, Olivia!

    His Princess,
    Bekah

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi! My name is Amanda and I am 14 years old. Your blog has really inspired me! I love how you dress modestly, but also fashionably. Thanks for being an inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, that's two new blogs to add to my blogroll...

    I think with the post on wearing pants modestly, there is a 'controversial' aspect to it, but I also think there are a LOT of girls and women out there who are doing a ton of farm work, or who are tomboys at heart, who really do get excited to have someone say 'yes, you CAN do this without it messing up how you believe you should dress, here are some ideas'. I think part of the reason your swimsuit and pants posts are so popular is that you don't have any kind of judgemental tone; it's more gentle. Reading it kind of reminds me of having your older sister give you advice. Which makes sense, since you're the oldest and you're used to advising younger siblings, haha.

    My favorite post of the year from you is the Mall Shopping Outfit post: http://freshmodesty.blogspot.com/2013/10/mall-shopping-outfit.html

    As we so often see outfits of you dressed up for church, it was pretty fun to see a cute, casual outfit to go out with friends. Plus I love that green and brown and denim combo... and also love peasant-style blouses. And also moccasins. So really it was all a win for me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This was definitely my favorite outfit of yours this year: http://freshmodesty.blogspot.com/2013/08/romance-in-vintage-spring.html

    I love the way you pull outfits together to be cohesive and yet creative!

    ReplyDelete
  7. My personal favorite of all your outfits posted this year is easily this one:

    http://freshmodesty.blogspot.com/2013/09/sanctification-in-sky-blue.html?m=1

    Love it! The colors, the accessories, your hair. It is all sooo beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really like all your outfits! And for your swimsuits, your black and white polka dot is my absolute fave!
    Hard to believe 2013 is almost gone!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Really liked this outfit and the pictures! http://freshmodesty.blogspot.com/2013/09/maxi-dress-on-beach.html

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such a great idea to do re-cap of the year - thank you so much for sharing your beautifully encouraging/inspiring outfits with us:) One of my favorites of your 2013 outfits would be: http://freshmodesty.blogspot.com/2013/07/access-in-blue-natural.html (Love that blue maxi dress and the different ways you style it.) But I must say, the outfit you posted today is pretty classy, too. :) Have a beautiful December!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Loved this post so much! My favorite outfit from 2013 would have to be this one: http://freshmodesty.blogspot.com/2013/08/romance-in-vintage-spring.html?m=1
    It is beautiful! And I love the "School Girl Look" one too of course, hehe. :-)

    Thank you for everything you do on Fresh Modesty, Olivia! Especially this year, you've encouraged me to create outfits with well-coordinating colors and styles that also compliment my own shape and color. You know, instead of just, "Oh, these colors match!!" ;-) It's been a blessing to be able to read your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  12. *blush* I'm honored to be on your blog list! Ever since I started reading your blog, it's been a constant source of encouragement. Thank you for all your hardworking with this blog! And for the blessing you are to so many young ladies. Natasha www.natashaatkerson.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you so much for linking to my humble blog! As Natasha said, this blog is a constant source of encouragement to us girls. Keep it up!
    My favourite outfits of 2013 are:
    http://freshmodesty.blogspot.co.nz/2013/04/redemption-in-purple.html
    http://freshmodesty.blogspot.co.nz/2013/04/justification-in-vintage.html
    and the 'how to wear a t-shirt with class' and 'Access // in Blue + natural' posts. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. This was great Olivia! Loved it!
    The one outfit that comes to mind is your 'Justification in Vintage'. I love that ruffle top! :) Oh, and I also love the pink and denim combo! Yep, I love your hair in that too! :)
    It is great to hear that your e-books have helped so many! What a sense of accomplishment!
    And yes, your new web site is just stunning!

    Many blessings dear friend!
    Cassie

    p.s. I love the pic of you and Jordan! :D
    That was so neat when you two had booths next to each other!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Really loved this post. Ky favorite outfit would be your valentine one and the lace dress you made (I think this was this year) I really enjoyed your price list post. I've always wondered what others pay for clothing items and thrift finds.

    ReplyDelete
  16. "Deborah & Co. Review and Giveaway!" Is my favorite! :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I want to mention that the Head Covering Movement is not Biblical.

    ...but if a woman has LONG HAIR, it is a glory to her? For her HAIR is given to her for a COVERING. 1 Cor 11:15

    Covering, Strong's #4018 : peribolaion: that which is thrown around, A COVERING.

    Translated "mantle" in Heb 1:12

    OUR LONG HAIR IS OUR HEAD COVERING! Praise God!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! I don't mind if you post opinions/convictions that may be different from my own (especially if you do them as kindly as you have here) but I do ask that you identify yourself in some way-- even if it's just by an initial or number or something. It's just polite. Thanks!

      Delete
    2. Sorry Olivia,

      I neglected to sign my name. My name is Domenica Iacono from Montreal, Quebec, Canada.

      When I saw the Head Covering Movement website, I had to say something for all the women who are believing this false teaching and some(not all) are being placed under bondage and guilt.

      Maybe you are not one of them but many women are just doing it because they think they are pleasing God. A careful study of 1 Cor 11 will reveal that the woman's long hair is her covering a "mantle". The arguments for a fabric head covering by Jeremy Gardiner don't hold any water.

      I love all your outfits. Many blessings and peace to you!
      In Christ, Domenica

      Delete
    3. This verse clearly states for people to decide for themselves if it is honorable for woman to pray without their head uncovered. And if it is okay not to, than is their hair their covering enough? Some people who have been convicted (to cover) see it as some people see modesty. God replaced the clothes Adam and Eve made as they were cast out of the Garden. Worldly clothes do not always meet the standards God places. He has something better...we are to be different and set apart for His glory. Only God can place the conviction.

      Cass

      Delete

Fresh Modesty is fashion blog which encourages girls to "Dress outside your box, but inside His Book!" I allow anonymous comments so those without accounts can comment, but I would really appreciate it if you would identify yourself by some form of a name. :) Thank you for taking the time to comment!