Callie is a fellow modest fashion blogger and so creative and confident in her fashion style. I love reading and seeing what fabulous looks she's pulling off this week. But, she's also down-to-earth and practical and an incredible thrifter. She's definitely had my attention since she pulled off her guest post on Bramblewood Fashion with pizzazz. :D Her heart for the Lord shines through and I was so blessed to be able to hang and talk with her.
Callie and my sister and I were talking about how we love when Madeline posts legitly awkward photos on her Awk+Awe posts, so I'm including this bad boy in with today's. The whole photoshoot produced some doozies.
- Finding your favorite nail file in the freezer.
- The crazy things in the antiqueish stores we laughed at. Like, what even is that?
- Watching + doing a yoga video on your phone to stretch in the morning and just as you get to the difficult balancing position with one leg above your head it freezes and you have to push play again without falling over.
- Trying on footie pajamas at the thrift store because they were just so atrocious.
- When you, your friend, Callie, and her two friends are the youngest people at a tiny hymn sing by a margin of about 40 years. So, the nice elderly people make y'all stand up in front of the congregation and sing "Come Thou Fount", just the five of you. The first verse the pianist played so slow it was painful, but then we asked him to speed it up and it was much better, but still hilarious. I almost couldn't sing I cause I was on the verse of laughing so hard.
- 1990's quilt pattern books. The colors, the designs, the uses... O.o
- The amount of animal fats this diet has you ingesting. Our soups solidify if you don't eat them while hot.
- Offering Callie frozen green beans for a snack 20 minutes after she got to our house.
- The postman leaving packages in the truck parked in our driveway.
- Making such a big salad for dinner that you end up having it with every meal for the next 4 days and it's still not gone...
- Your dad making up a ridiculous story about losing his pants and emailing it to the whole church.
- The little chain in your toilet being broken, so to flush you have to reach in the tank and lift the flap that lets the water out. I did manage to fix it for a few days with a paperclip but it keeps slipping.
- When the 4 year old wants you to peel his apple with a pairing knife because he's convinced it makes the apple juicier than if you peeled it with a vegetable peeler.
- YouTube telling you it's going to take another 1951 minutes to upload your video.
- When your dad uses "your" phone when running errands and your friends text you personal stuff while he has it.
- People coming to the door when you're in the middle of breaking up a sibling argument that's right there by the door.
- Just getting on the highway when you get a call from your mom and she says, "I think you better turn around and come back..." and then your phone totally dies.
- Flushing the toilet and at that exact moment the power goes out.
- The response to Tuesday's "Life | Right Now" post... I was totally blown away that y'all liked it that much! I seriously almost didn't post it because I thought it was kind of stupid, but I did anyway. Y'alls comments were the best! Please feel free to use that format on your blog if you'd like. Maybe we could do a link up every other week or so with the "thinking...smelling...believing..." list? Is that too often? I think it'd be great to connect with y'all like that and for us all to take the time to observe our surroundings and analyse what our hearts and heads are saying to each other. Please let me know your thoughts. I don't want to annoy people with posts they don't like and I also don't want to post too much about myself.
- Generators. Seriously. The power went out for several hours one morning this week and it was soooo nice to be able to still shower, cook breakfast, and use the internet.
- Getting boxes of clothes in the mail you forgot you ordered. For free.
- Getting my order from The Healthy Farm Girl in the mail! LOVE the Morning Glory Tea and I'm still testing my theory, but I'm pretty sure the Dreamsicle lip balm has single-handedly cured my dry lips.
- Sleepy eyes in the early morning hours on people you know worked hard the day before. They just make me praise the Lord for His grace and purposes.
- My family's responses when I decide I have to try a new fashion idea which they think is ridiculous. They'll make fun of me and occasionally question my sanity, sure, but I know they still trust my judgement and want me to have fun being young.
- Jamming out to Sound Of Music with Callie while cleaning the kitchen. Yodelay yodelay yodelay heeehooo!
- Being sore from working. It's been so long since I've exerted myself physically that I forgot how good this feels.
- $1 day at the thrift store, and no tax. We walked in with 3 dollar bills and 8 quarters and walked out with 4 name-brand shirts and a leather vest.
- Finally seeing LesMis! We watched it with ClearPlay and it did an excellent job of making it family-friendly. Loved it.
- Living in a creative family. Poems, photography, literature, drawing, and dressing up are daily activities around here.
- Meeting people and making odd connections. "Wait... I had lunch with your cousin once!"
- Taking selfies with a group of people and using three different phones.
- Hearing from people who have used my eBooks! There are so many great seamstresses in this world!
We laughed at how "model" like this looked, because it was so a fluke. :D
Isn't my scarf beautiful!? Callie made it for me!
Shirt: JCPenny's? Sears? $4ish
Tank: Forever21, $1.80
Skirt: Made by me: $2 for materials (Click here for directions)
Belt: Came with a maxi dress
Shoes: Sparkly Sperry's! Wish I had included them in a picture. $65
Isn't Callie's outfit adorable? You'll have to pop over to her blog to find out where she got everything! :)
Fake laughing. :D Saturday when she was over we thought it would be fun to do a Q+A video. We asked y'all to submit them on Facebook and we got some really good ones. So many, we had to do two parts. Here's Part 1! Click over to Callie's blog to watch Part 2!
My family made comments about how loud we were laughing and we got soda up our noses more than once. The modest fashion blog community is seriously the best on the internet, I'm convinced.
Hope y'all are having a great week! What's been awkward or awesome about it? Do you read Callie's blog?