Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Sufferings // in Floral Infinity + Red

 Hey y'all! Thank you so much for all the encouraging notes about my church's new Etsy shop! I really appreciate the support. This Lord's Day outfit post features one of the scarves that is available at Bell Tower Boutique. 

 Romans 8:18, "For I consider that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory which shall be revealed in us."

That's quite a statement. I know I've heard it over and over again in my life, but this sermon gave it a whole new meaning for me. One that is really impacting how I handle life's situations. 
Paul's main point in this whole chapter is this: You can be assured of being in Christ through the worst of situations. The sufferings that are even hard for us to utter-- they are not worthy to even be compared with the glory we have to look forward to. Paul uses the word "consider". It means, "I reckon." It's a mental accounting. The evidence is in, he's weighed it out, and they do not even compare. To balance, you have two sides. There are three points about the first side of the balance, our present sufferings, my pastor drew out:

1) What does Paul mean by "present sufferings"?
In the context of the passage, he is talking about the raging, painful suffering we experience from the indwelling of sin. This is the battle spoken of in Galatians 5:16-26 He is a great example of a godly man going through suffering. In other passages, Paul elaborates on his constant struggle with his flesh. If we don't know this battle, we are not living for Christ. If we are apathetic regarding our personal sin struggles, we are not walking close enough to God. With no agony in our soul, we cannot be a totally surrendered person. 

2) We will suffer persecutions in this hostile world:
In 2 Corinthians 11, Paul goes into detail about his sufferings, "...in labors more abundant, in stripes above measure, in prisons more frequently, in deaths often. From the Jews five times I received forty stripes minus one. Three times I was beaten with rods; once I was stoned; three times I was shipwrecked; a night and a day I have been in the deep;  in journeys often, in perils of waters, in perils of robbers, in perils of my own countrymen, in perils of the Gentiles, in perils in the city, in perils in the wilderness, in perils in the sea, in perils among false brethren; in weariness and toil, in sleeplessness often, in hunger and thirst, in fastings often, in cold and nakedness— besides the other things, what comes upon me daily: my deep concern for all the churches."
O.o We will experience persecution from the world when we walk with the Lord. If we are not struggling with this, maybe we are being too welcoming? The Gospel is offensive to those who do not know it's truth and may we not shirk back when met with hostility. 

3) Romans 8 is the perfect place for Paul to address this:
The context of the chapter gives us hope that while we are suffering from our experiences, we can trust that the Lord is using it to make our inner man stronger. As the outer man receives more and more pressure, it puts strain on the inner. While we are in this painful agony of "Why, Lord?!" we can be assured of Christ's love, because of these sufferings. 

Putting all of this on the balance, it does not even compare to the other side-- the glory which shall be revealed in us. 
When we question the reason for why we are going through something, Romans 8:28-30 gives us the answer: "For whom He foreknew, He also predestined to be conformed to the image of His Son..." We can know the end result of our sufferings! 2 Corinthians 3:18 fits in here too, " But we all, with unveiled face, beholding as in a mirror the glory of the Lord, are being transformed into the same image from glory to glory, just as by the Spirit of the Lord." His church is victorious! And as we behold this in the mirror, we are changed into glory. 
What is this glory? It is the fullness of God's attributes. His love, His grace, His goodness. He changes people via these attributes and communicates these things to us, that we might be transformed into the image of His Son. 

There are successive stages of sanctification for each of us personally. Not that we are any more sin-less as time goes on, but the Lord sanctifies us one trial at a time, one blind spot, one bad attitude. He is changing us from glory to glory. One day in an instant we will know Him face to face! God says we can't comprehend this glorification right now, but He will finish the work He has started in us. We will be like His Son. Wow. 

What if we don't feel this inward struggle with sin? We may not be convicted of our sins deep enough. We need to seek God and He may take us to a dark hour-- but that suffering is not to be even compared, it has no weight against, it doesn't even start moving the balance, with the glory that is to come. This gives us courage to endure well. Live well. Die well. Let's lay up treasures for that day. 
This was such an easy outfit! Simple red polka-dot dress, neutral cardigan, and printed infinity scarf that doubled as a headcovering. There are a few of this print left over at Bell Tower Boutique, but hurry if you want to get one, because they are going fast! :) 

// outfit details //
Dress: Stephanie Charles: thredUP
Cardigan: Gilly Hicks: thredUP
Shoes: Charity store: $2
Earrings: Charity store: $2

I hope y'all have a marvelous day! What was your sermon about this week?


33 comments :

  1. Ooooh I really like the dress:) all of the thredUP dresses are beautiful!

    ~Sarah
    cutecombinations.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is such a cute outfit! It's good to see you wearing longer skirts/dresses again!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just have to say, Olivia.....I LOVE your bangs. Seriously. I have always been opposed to bangs because they can looks so "homeschool-ish" if you know what I mean, but you wear them SO stylish....makin me jealous!! Also, can you explain Thredup please? I tried ordering for the first time and they said I had a $15 discount as a new customer, but when I got to checkout the "discount" had disappeared and I would have ended up paying like $25 plus shipping for two things. Not really my price. :-) And how do you know the garments will fit before buying?

    ReplyDelete
  4. That cardigan is beautiful! Our sermon this week came from John 14 - Jesus comforting his disciples. Very encouraging!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love when you put your hair back, it really brings out your natural beauty. The scarf is probably my favorite….two questions about that.
    1) Did you make all the Bell Tower Boutique items
    2) Can you buy them without an Etsy account (I know, I should have an Etsy account, but I don't. Shame on me!)

    Thanks,
    Gracie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Gracie!
      1) My sister, a friend, and I worked together to make the infinity scarves. Everything else in the shop other people in our church crafted with care.
      2) Yes, unfortunately you do. Sorry!

      Delete
    2. Cool, thanks!

      Gracie

      Delete
  6. Awesome Outfit, Olivia!!! :) BTW, thanks for suggesting Thredup on your blog . . . I just bought from them and got two shirts. With the ten dollar discount from your blog, I only paid six bucks. Thank you, thank you, thank you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOVE this outfit so much! And your bangs are so adorable, I think I like them more and more as I see more styles.

    I must've missed the post on the Etsy shop, time to go look!

    www.modestyismypolicy.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful!!!

    -Abigail of happysnappingphotography.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ooo, what a cute outfit, Olivia! I love that scarf....I want to go buy on right now! Thank you for sharing this...=)

    ReplyDelete
  10. The scarf and sweater definitely add definition to the dress. Long dresses can be difficult because they make one look shapeless. Never underestimate the power of a skinny belt:)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very nice outfit, I just love the dress! Thank you for sharing your insights from Romans as well. We've been studying from it as a family, and it's been very encouraging to me. BTW do you know the Wilson family that lives in Cenetrrville? We are really good friends, with them, and when I saw you live in Ceneterville, I wondered if you know them?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I've met the Wilson's and pass their home all the time, but I don't know them very well, sadly. They seem like a great family. :)

      Delete
  12. how do wear the infinity scarf as a headcovering? i also cover and would like your thoughts.thanks!
    Stevie

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love your dress, Olivia! It is so pretty. :-D

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love how spring-y this outfit is! Also, you look great in a ponytail.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Very nice!!!! The cardigan goes well with that dress. :)))

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is SO cute!!!! Love that dress.

    ReplyDelete
  17. you're bangs are so cute and suit you so well!!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. That's an adorable outfit, Olivia!
    Red looks good on you! I've been reading "color me beautiful" and since than I notice colors on people a lot more! Lol!
    Natasha
    A modest fashion blog: www.natashaatkerson.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love this classic combination! It even looks slightly vintage-esque. You look amazing in red, Olivia!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Does Thredup require a e-mail address for the log-in? I wanted to look at what they had but I had no log-in. My mom gets driven insane if we give out our e-mail to some company we may not ever use. Can anyone help?

    Adira

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Adira, ThredUp does require an email address.

      Delete
    2. Thanks!

      Adira

      Delete
  21. I would love it if you'll could check out my healthy lifestyle blog www.alwayfitgirl.blogspot.com and let me know what you think!
    Thanks
    Hannah

    ReplyDelete
  22. Your bangs are really cute and stylish!

    ReplyDelete
  23. What a fantastic outfit! Great colours, great coordination, easy to put together. This might be one of my favourites of yours.

    ~Esther of Oz

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love when you pull your hair back like that! Have you ever put it in a bun…it would look so pretty!

    Morgan

    ReplyDelete
  25. I gasped when I saw this dress! LOVE IT!! Totally beautiful! Emily

    ReplyDelete

Fresh Modesty is fashion blog which encourages girls to "Dress outside your box, but inside His Book!" I allow anonymous comments so those without accounts can comment, but I would really appreciate it if you would identify yourself by some form of a name. :) Thank you for taking the time to comment!