Thursday, May 8, 2014

Awk+Awe | So Blessed

Hey y'all! I had a wonderful trip to Bristol yesterday! God worked some setbacks all out in His perfect plan. No surprise there though. ;) Super exciting things are happening with Fresh Apparel Denim Company!

Awkward: 
  • Hanging out with the don't-want-to-dance guys at a dance. You didn't want to dance either, but it was still awkward for those few minutes when everyone is pairing up. 
  • The cashier at a bagel store overcharging your dad and standing there for literally longer than 8 minutes as they all pulled out their calculators to figure out the refund.
  • Getting hit on the forehead with a board flying off the table saw and between your eyebrows swelling up, so you can't move them for several days without pain. Never realized how much you use your eyebrows when talking! 
  • Thinking you had set up a new email account and so you use that to make a Vistaprint account, and then realize you never did set it up and whoops that address is taken. So, someone, I'm sorry for setting up an account for you. :D 
  • Googling images of cow warts. Ew. ew. ew. ew. EWWWW. At least we diagnosed it finally?
  • When you're reassuring your mom on the phone the roads are okay and everyone around is screaming you're in trouble and gonna die.
  • Getting upset at someone over something ridiculous and then having to ask them for a favor.
  • Playing Frisbee with a bunch of profreshes. I cannot catch to save my life. At least it was dark so you couldn't really tell it was me who missed it. ;)
  • When I was 15: "How old are you, 21?" Now: "How old are you, 15?"
  • Eating BBQ smoked ribs while talking with a guy about Fresh Modesty. Um, there is NO lady-like way to eat ribs.
  • Hanging out at a popcorn party (love my friends) after a day of barn-building and shoving handful after handful into your mouth because you worked up such an appetite.
  • Having the oh-so-difficult job of putting lids on lemonade cups at your church's lemonade stand.
  • The Beard Booth at the oh-so-quintessentially-hipster Sevier Park Festival on 12 South in Nashville this past Saturday. There were some awesome beards walking around.
  • Your dad tricking you into eating frog legs. Ew ew ew.
  • Getting into the truck and finding a used plunger in the passenger seat.

Easy peasy limey squeezy outfit.
Shirt: Sears? Kohl's? :$3
Skirt: Made by me: Errand #17 style, will be available hopefully soon from Fresh Apparel! 
Earrings: Thrift Store: $2
Shoes: ThredUP

Awesome:
  • Barn raisings! We had a week-long multi-church project that God worked through in so many ways. It was a great time of fellowship, hard work, and productivity for His glory. 
  • Barn dances! A friend traveled from Arkansas to call the dance that was the culmination of the week's work. It was such a lovely evening and for supper we had smoked ribs!
  • My grandfather buying the little cottage at the bottom of our hill as a guest house for us. It came fully furnished, in perfect timing for weekend guests, and is just SO nice. My sister is able to use the kitchen to do her gluten-free business and I'm able to film in quiet there. 
  • Getting to see the sample of how the factory can make my skirt... y'all be looking for the Kickstarter sometime NEXT WEEEEEK (Lord willing)! 
  • All the little details the Lord has brought to my attention that He has worked out perfectly for us. The last several weeks I have been overwhelmed by His blessings in each and every thing that happens. I may not understand it fully yet, but I trust He's got this. 
  • Adidas track pants. I always thought they were probably overrated and why do people insist on wearing them as normal attire? But I got a pair to run in on cool mornings and wowwww are they comfortable. I change into my PJ's just a little sooner some nights. 
  • Snapchat. Yes, it's silly and ridiculous. But, it sure makes staying close with busy friends easier. 
  • You've blessed me with packages full of handmade gifts, thank-you letters, written out prayers, incredible testimonies, sweet comments, and email after email of love. You girls who read my blog are gems I don't deserve. Thank you so much, Stephanie, for the lovely gift! <3
  • Hanging out with friends at the festival. We looked at booths, explored clothing-store-trailers, took pictures with robots, sat in the grass and listened to live music, and ate avocado popsicles
  • This quote: (No, I haven't read the book)
    •  "There are so many ways to be brave in this world. Sometimes bravery involves laying down your life for something bigger than yourself, or for someone else. Sometimes it involves giving up everything you have ever known, or everyone you have ever loved, for the sake of something greater. But sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes it is nothing more than gritting your teeth through pain, and the work of every day, the slow walk toward a better life. That is the sort of bravery I must have now."  ~Veronica Roth
*big important announcer voice* "And now, a word from our sponsor...." No, but seriously, here's an introduction to one of this month's sponsors, ScriptureScapes!

Scripture/Bible Verse Art: Long-Eared Owl
My company, ScriptureScapes, started innocently enough: I and my siblings were just making a gift for my parents. The snowball effect took over from that effort, and, with a bit of help, you have what ScriptureScapes is today. Here at ScriptureScapes our aim is to provide you with beautiful pictures for your home, but always with clearly visible scripture verses. No tiny, hardly-legible, squished-into-the-corner typography for us.

Right now, the options we provide are fairly basic. There are nineteen pictures to choose from, each one in three different sizes: 8x12”, 12x18”, and 16x24”. Each picture comes with a simple black frame, all ready to hang. Shipping is included in all pricing.

ScriptureScapes still needs a lot of development, so I’d welcome it if you have suggestions on how to add value or bring a better/more useful product to the table (er, I mean, wall). Check out our Etsy store here, and also check out my blog (www.pjbphotography.wordpress.com/blog) for pictures, verses, free desktops, and the occasional article.
~~

I hope y'all have had a lovely week! Now, time to share your awkwards and awesomes! I love reading them! Also, please check out ScriptureScapes and let me know which verse/picture is your favorite! If you end up ordering one, let Paul know I sentcha. ;)


38 comments :

  1. You are the company woman!

    Kathryn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your outfit! :)
    I have been wanting to get into my closet and organize my Spring/Summer wardrobe (I did it for Fall/Winter as well), but I just get so busy trying to finish up school for this year! I've got to find the time.
    What do you do to organize your clothes? I usually pair up outfits (pair tops with bottoms) and then separate my Spring/Summer clothes from my Fall/Winter clothes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh man. Yes. The whole thing about being 15 vs. 21.
    For me, it's that when I was in highschool, people thought I was in college, and now that I'm college-age, people just assume I'm still in highschool. Like, huh? ;)

    Also, SO.excited. for you and your new skirt manufacturing business!

    Lastly, lime green is a great color on you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the Errand #17 skirt!

    Moriah

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is kinda awkward AND awesome for me: I walked in to a hotel lobby by myself (I was there for a class/meeting) and there was a man who worked there behind the counter. I was looking toward him because I figured he would know where to direct me for the meeting, and I was going to ask him, but one of the first things he said to me was, "How old are you?!?" (Yeah, pretty interesting "hello" question, lol!) I told him that I'm 21, and he was like "Nah uh, you look like you're in middle school, like 13 or 14!"

    People have even asked if I'm a twin with my 15 year old brother...

    Sounds a bit like people's impression of you, too, Olivia...haha ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi! I noticed you mentioned you went to dances, are they like English country dances?

    ~Sam

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've done ECD before, but this time was like square dancing... Virginia Reel, etc. Group dances, although there was a time for waltzing too. :)

      Delete
    2. So why didn't you want to dance? Square dancing is AWESOME!!!!

      Delete
  7. Gorgeous outfit, Olivia!
    -Hayden

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your awkward + awesome moments are always such a day-brightener, Olivia! I love how even your cell phone case matches your outfit's color scheme. :) And, yep, I can relate to people getting ages off - I think I'm almost *always* thought older or younger than my actual age. Excited for you about your business! Praying that the details would come together and that it would be a blessing to many. Have a lovely Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am so excited for Fresh Apparel, Olivia! I can't wait until you are ready to start selling skirts....I want one! Lime green looks absolutely amazing on you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've never been called older than I am just younger. I'm thirteen and kinda small for my age. People shouldn't assume!!
    Hanna

    ReplyDelete
  11. Awkward: Picking up other people's toothpicks. (Yuck!)
    Awesome: My first sale on up-cycled jeans-turned-skirts! I'm getting good at it!

    Is anyone else thinking the ScriptureScapes are nice, but grossly over-priced? $80+ is way too much for us normal people...

    -Alexis

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love your shirt and it really goes with that skirt! Your awks were SO funny. Everyone asks me are you 15? Well, now, yes I am. Thankyou.
    My Awk- Well, I've had the sniffles so trying to talk and sniffle at the same time is embarrassing. Blowing your nose every five minutes doesn't help. Everyone saying how good this meal was, and my answer to Mom was, "I don't know. I couldn't taste it." doesn't either. Then talking about learning to drive and this one guy I know says he has to wait till he gets a smaller vehicle so he won't damage the family vehicle. Ooops. Everyone at the garbage clean-up has gloves and you don't so you are using your fingertips like a prissy girl.
    My Awe- Working with horses!!!! A friend got a new horse as well. A smart dog learning new tricks and LISTENS to me. :))) Good pics turning out. My profile page on G+(just click on my name) has my own Scripture verses that I composed together. Well, most of them. And for Scripture Scapes I didn't have a fave. I liked them all. :)))
    Have a nice day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. AMEN on the horses! I love 'em to death!

      Kathryn B.

      Delete
    2. Agree heartily on the outfit! The shirt looks great with your hair.
      My Awk-
      1: Not being able to show my point and looking like an idiot
      2: Trying to talk to friends I haven't seen about…cookies
      3: Wearing a maxi skirt out with an shirt that doesn't match, hair that's really frizzy, and boots that "compliment" the outfit.
      4: My awks aren't that great, but at the time it seemed really embarrassing!
      My Awe-
      1: Gaining the trust of a young filly(yeah I'm a crazy horse person, too!!)
      2: Riding English style again
      3: Coming up with an idea for my next book
      4: Learning my friend's mom who miscarried two babies previous is 15 weeks
      5: Remembering verses from long ago.

      Maria Rose

      Delete
    3. Awesome guys....I'm horsecrazy as well! P.S Olivia, your hair is really cool. I love how you make it match your outfits. My hair is usually a ponytail. :)

      Delete
  13. Hi Olivia,
    First of all, I love your outfit. So cute!
    Second of all, I need a bit of help. I am looking for a modest dress to wear to my homeschool co-op's spring dance. I'm fourteen and quite tall for my age. A dress would need to be tea length or longer and I have a pretty small budget.
    Would you be able to suggest a store or company where I could find one that fits my standards? If not, I understand, but if you could it would be really helpful!

    Thank you!!
    Keri

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have you tried searching thrift stores? That might be a good place to start.

      Delete
    2. Thank you Natasha! Unfortunately, I'm not if there are many thrift stores near me. Thank you for the suggestion, though! I will start looking...

      Keri

      Delete
    3. I have your same problem! I'm tall and thin so maxi dresses are my best friends. =) Thredup has some selection but it's hard to tell how long the dresses are. Maybe you could try the clearance sections of various stores online? Like Jcpenney, Kohls, Target... I hope you find a dress you love!

      Delete
    4. LightInTheBox and Discount Dress Shop are two good places! They have tons of dresses so you might be able to find something there!

      Delete
    5. Thank you both! I will start looking.

      Keri

      Delete
    6. Sometimes theskirtoutlet will have dresses and a local Cato Fashions store may have them too

      Kasey

      Delete
  14. That green looks fabulous on you!
    Seriously, let me know when your accepting backers for your company-I'd like to help! You're an amazing encouragement to me and so many other girls, I'd like to encourage you back. I'm not sure there's anything I can do long distance, but I would love to help you with anything I can. Just let me know! ;)
    Natasha
    A modest fashion blog: www.natashaatkerson.blogspot.con

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi, Olivia. :)

    I just wondered if you have any advice for how to dress and present oneself as a Christian without avoiding the trap of legalism? I know this is a heavier topic, and I don't mean to bombard you, but I'm struggling with a sort of peer pressure to become legalistic in my outward appearance, and I'm not sure what to do. Do I conform to these standards, which are seemingly impossible to adhere to (as they require much time, thought, and effort) when I have a life that revolves mostly around my relationship with God and caring for my family, or do I try to learn what I can from these people and discard the rest? These people seem to be wise and Biblical, but I just can't imagine trying to follow all of the rules they are setting. I don't have time for all of that with all of the things that the Lord has placed in my life to do. Yet, if the rules are truly is Godly and I disregard them, what sort of person does that make me? I'm having a hard time here.

    Thank you for your time!
    I so appreciate it. Your blog is a blessing. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I read this in a book, and it really stuck with me...it can apply to standards in dress, but also in relationships with guys, relationships with friends, and many more things, if you think about it! Here it is,

      "If you want to change your standards, raise them."

      Now read it again, slower this time. Are you wanting to change your style of dress, to avoid legalism? Is this what conforms with your style, or God's style? Does coming away from these legalistic standards change your relationship with God or with your family? Does coming away from these legalistic standards hinder or help your ability to be a light or salt in our dark world?

      Now on the flip side...does adhering to these strict policies take away from time with God or your family? You said you don't have time for their rules with all of the other thing the LORD has placed on your heart during this season of your life, so does this mean the LORD has already directed you, and you are afraid to follow? Do these people push away others like Pharisees? Would adhering to their rules hinder you reaching the lost for the Lord?

      Now, back to our quote! Figure out what your personal standards (lowest level you'll allow yourself to go) are on dress and outward appearance. Now, if you're going to change your standards, raise them, right? So which way is "raising your standards" in Christ? Go that way.

      Probably, you need new peers. I'm not trying to preach at you, of course, but I'm just saying that I've been in a boat (not exactly the same as yours, but) similar to yours, and often seeming to be "wise and Biblical" just doesn't cut it. That's the honest truth. Now, are you willing to raise your standards on friendships? Are you willing to lose their friendship by not becoming overly legalistic yourself, and find new, more like-minded, friends?

      This is going to be a personal decision that requires a lot of prayer. Ask your parents, too! Not only can you give them something specific to pray about with you, but they often have a lot of sound, wise, and Biblical advice that can save us a lot of stress if we let it.

      So, I don't know if ANY of this helped AT ALL, but I would like to extend my friendship to you, and I want to remind you that God does not look on the outward appearance, but on the heart. And, "the heart is deceitful above all things, and desperately wicked; who can know it? I, the LORD, search the heart..." (Jeremiah 17:9, 10).

      Jesus will still love you, no matter what you wear! And if you reply to me, and would like to befriend me, please include your email, and I'd be happy to be a friend that builds you up in the LORD!

      Blessings,
      Kimberly

      "Let no man despise thy youth; but be thou an example of the believers, in word, in conversation, in charity, in spirit, in faith, in purity." -1 Timothy 4:12

      Delete
  16. You got hit in the head with a flying board and your forehead is not bruised or cut? Musta be made outta steel girlie! lol Your outfit is nice!!!!
    Alayna

    ReplyDelete
  17. Tell me about dance awkwardnesses . . . last night I went to a dance where the guys were NOT asking anyone they didn't know and only two guys (who helped put on the dance) would amend that. . . . Honestly, someone needs to teach a class called "How to Ask A Girl to Dance: It's Not That Scary." :) I'm so excited to hear more about Fresh Apparel, Olivia!

    charmant

    ReplyDelete
  18. Awk: when you send out a newsletter and in the reports it says that someone opened it 70 times. =P

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm SO happy things are coming together for Fresh Apparel!! I will continue to keep it in my prayers. My favorite ScriptureScapes verse is the "Charity never faileth" one. It seems like such an awesome company.

    Awkward:
    -Your dad imitating your appalling-sounding hiccups and marveling at their grossness as you fold laundry and he helps your sister out with math. Well, they were pretty disgusting. :P
    -It taking you a long time to figure out where the scrape on your shin and bruise on your knee came from. Welcome, summer.
    -Acting crazy with your cousins on a walk and receiving weird looks from strangers.
    -Your mother and grandmother disagreeing over who should buy what in the grocery store. Actually, it was pretty funny :)
    -Having to pause from jogging four times in one run because of the stitch in your side that won't go away.
    -Serving at a luncheon and not being able to tell a woman whether or not there's sugar in the iced tea.
    -Spilling water on yourself in a not-so-fortunate area in the movie theatre. Thankfully it dried before the movie was over, though.
    -Failing to bring in a crochet clip to class yet again and your collection of them now totaling to 4.
    -Singing Frozen songs way too loud at a very open area at the park.
    -Old, not-so-great pictures of you appearing on friend's computer screen savers.

    Awesome:
    -Family ice cream outings.
    -Spending Easter Sunday in New Hampshire with extended family whom we hadn't seen in six months.
    -Seeing The Amazing Spiderman 2 with friends. The visuals were amazing.
    -Finishing Math for the year! It was quite the ceremony. ;)
    -Finalizing Yearbook meetings.
    -Ice cream and music with friends.
    -Peaceful, cozy rainy afternoons.
    -Successful clothing shopping trips.
    -The beautiful warm spring weather.
    -Getting back into running after a while of not being able to due to a sprained toe.
    -A guy who came to give a talk about a college to your homeschooling group participating in all your activities and even winning the game for your team for the literary club meeting.
    -Kind words from friends.
    -Afternoons in the park with friends laughing and chatting.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Now that you have Fresh Apparel and your Etsy shops, will you not post anymore on your sewing blog?

    Clara

    ReplyDelete
  21. That is a fantastic idea of gifts turning into projects to sell! :) It's always great to hear about new businesses!

    Rachel
    http://alamodest.com

    ReplyDelete
  22. How exciting! My sister made me an Errand #17 skirt using your ebook and I LOVE it!!! I wear it every day of the week that it is clean! :-) Last weekend we went to Glenrose for the Lone Star State Dulcimer Festival so most of these are from that trip. best weekend of the year!!!!
    Awkard:
    - When yours and a friends family attend a square dance. None of you like to dance with strangers and there is just you and your sister to be shared among your friends four boys. So you and up changing partners back and forth through the whole night.
    - We spend the majority of our time with this family (Paying music, card games, tuning instruments, preparing for sets e.t.c...) People come up and ask, "So you're all brothers and sisters right?" "Uh, no. Just good friends." "Oh. I see."
    No you don't!! Btw: They are amazing musicians!!
    - Hiving to retune your Hammer dulcimer three times because of changing humidity. Thats 151 strings!!!
    - Showing up for piano ensemble practice and you are the only one who knows the song.

    Amazing:
    - Music Festivals!!!!!!!
    - You sister winning third place in the state Mountain Dulcimer competition!! We are so blessed!!
    - One of our friends placing Second in Mountain Dulcimer and becoming the state Hammer Dulcimer Champion!!!!!
    - Fiddles!!
    - The Sawmill Vagrant's Indian on a Stump.

    Can you tell we LOVE music?

    Thank you for posting!!
    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  23. I am glad you enjoyed Glenrose! Wow! Great job Hope (and I am guessing one of the Vanderveers?!!) I miss you! I Love music too:)

    ReplyDelete
  24. If you were in Bristol TN/VA, welcome to my hometown!!

    Heather

    ReplyDelete
  25. Oh come on, frog legs are good...tastes like chicken! ;) So can relate to giving the wrong age!
    ~Sarah~
    http://allthingsvintage-sc.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  26. I love that shirt and skirt! I think that it's one of my favorite's so far.

    ReplyDelete

Fresh Modesty is fashion blog which encourages girls to "Dress outside your box, but inside His Book!" I allow anonymous comments so those without accounts can comment, but I would really appreciate it if you would identify yourself by some form of a name. :) Thank you for taking the time to comment!