Hey y'all! I wanted to let you know about something going on Saturday night that you won't want to miss!
I will be joining Bree from Cover Up for Christ on her Facebook page to answer your questions and just *talk* about the concept of courtship! Granted, we really have no experience or authority on the subject, but nevertheless sometimes it's good to just chat with friends about things, y'know? So that's the plan.
Brief overview of "Courtship" as is generally understood in the conservative church today:
- Courtship is term used for a relationship-before-engagement in which the man and woman are seeking to determine if it is the Lord's will for them to marry, preferably with the help of family and trusted friends.
- Courtship is VERY individualized and there is no set method to follow nor will two courtships ever look the same.
- The intention of courtship (as opposed to, say, dating) is that the girl remain under the protection and guidance of her family and specifically father during the process, as is the norm set forth in the Bible- that a woman is always under the authority of a man, whether that is her father or husband. (1 Corinthians 11:3)
- Choosing to "Court" instead of "Date" does not make pre-marriage fool-proof. No matter the method, we are still fallen, sinful creatures and must look to the Lord for guidance in all things.
- Generally, courtships tend to be a lot shorter than dating relationships and move quicker into engagement because of the very deliberate nature they have.
Cover Up for Christ's Facebook page to talk! It really will be a chat-- y'all ask questions, we reply, y'all ask questions, we reply, so we need y'all to come participate! I think we'll be there chatting only thirty minutes to an hour, so don't be late!