Friday, August 1, 2014

Summer of Dresses | Rehearsal | Awk+Awe

 Hey y'all! I'm so sorry for not getting this post out last week as I intended. I ended up driving with my sisters "up north" to visit family and friends and ran out of time to blog!

Anyway, this is the penultimate installment of Summer of Dresses! This is what I wore to the rehearsal dinner two weeks ago.
Yet another ThredUP find! I could have layered it with a black Halftee, but wanted to test out the temperature of the room for the next day since my bridesmaid dress was sleeveless. I also wore my silver bridesmaid shoes for the rehearsal, but then changed into these black heels for the dinner. :)

I got a lot of compliments on the really cool "exposed" zipper. I think some exposed zippers can be tacky, but I love this one in the classy gold color. 

Awkward: 
  • Feeling like a girl in an auto parts store when you are... well, a girl in an auto parts store. "Uhhh.... let me call someone who knows..."
  • Spraying hairspray in your eye.
  • Standing outside a fireworks tent talking to friends you ran into and the guy running the tent comes over and offers y'all Oreos, saying they weren't poisoned. 
  • Arriving at the wedding you were set to photograph and, going to fix your hair in the restroom, you find chunks of dirt in your ear from when you were working on the farm earlier in the day. Guess you showered too quickly. "Why yes I have my life together... why do you ask?"
  • Driving to Office Max with three older guys you really didn't know, through one of the less-refined parts of the county. Y'all are driving happily along when one of them turns around real quick and goes, "Did you guys see that?!!! There was a lawnmower on a POLE. Is that normal?!" and you completely lose it with laughter because you know that a full-sized lawnmower mounted about 5 ft off the ground in someone's front yard is exactly what he saw. Sights like that are nothing new in our redneck town, but it gives someone from Atlanta quite a shock. Took me a good 10 minutes to recover from laughing and "Is that normal?!" became the joke of the weekend. :P 
  • Not knowing what to say when your designated groomsman apologizes for being "like a tree" during the recessional... "uh, don't worry about it? It's okay? You aren't leafing me alone now are you?"
  • Going on vacation and doing nothing but sitting and talking to friends and eating. In our younger years we would have found activities to do, like mini golf or swimming or dancing, but now we just sit and talk like adults. It's kinda fun, actually.
  • Pretty much everyone you greet asking about Fresh Apparel... this week alone I think over a dozen people in person have inquired about how it's going. It's awesome to have so much interest from so many friends!
  • Walking with Jordan + Amy Taylor around the Farmer's Market and pointing out the vendors you know... "Is everyone here your neighbor?!?" 
  • Me: "I need...*voice trails off* Sister: "A sense of humor?"
  • Doing my sister's make-up after helping friends slaughter chickens earlier in the morning, "Ewww! Your hands smell like dead chickens!" It was true. :P
  • When you use someone's bald head to set the white balance in Lightroom.
  • Friends who take pictures of you sleeping and Snapchat them to their friends...
  • Getting home on a Friday night an hour before my sister was getting up to start the market day. 
Abi, me, and Cami waiting to start the practice processional
Awesome: 
  • That every time I think of the wedding last weekend I get this huge silly grin on my face. It was incredible and every moment is a precious memory.
  • Getting stung by a bee on my right hand minutes before I had planned to hand-sew all afternoon. What's awesome about that is that I put lavender oil on it within a minute (had to drive home to get it :P) and ALL the pain went away almost instantly. Usually I react really bad and have to sleep for three days after a sting, but with the lavender I just had swelling that didn't bother me at all. 
  • The hammock that my sister replaced her conventional bed with. It's great to hang out in during the day, is helping her back feel better, and gives us more floor space when she pulls it to the side. 
  • Finding pizza sauce on my arm from when my 7 year old sister laid hands on me during our dinner time "Hey guys lets pray for Olivia since she's feeling bad" prayer. She's not been taught to do this and I felt very loved.
  • The dancing at the wedding. We danced hard for almost 4 hours, late into the night, and had SO much fun. Guys, girls, parents, kids, all pretty much making it up as we went along. And our moms did a choreographed dance to Footloose! 
  • Getting an iPhone 5. Since I capture most of my life via my phone photos, I'm so happy to have a nicer quality camera! 
  • Three of the groomsmen letting me tag along on their "supplies" run to procure car "decorations". :) 
  • Safe travels as I drove my sisters and myself 1700 miles this week! 
  • Michael Hyatt's podcast, "This Is Your Life". It has been SO helpful for me as I expand Fresh Modesty and Fresh Apparel. :)
  • Friends whose senses of humor match yours perfectly and keep you rolling on the floor. 
  • Sending out Fresh Modesty/Fresh Apparel's first newsletter! {Click here to read it and subscribe!!}
  • That Kaliste hired Rachel Clarke to be her wedding photographer, which meant Rachel stayed with us all weekend since she lives in Ohio! She is one of my oldest dearest friends and has always been one of the best photographers I know. If you scroll through the pictures on her site (on the homepage and under "weddings") you might see some images from the wedding last weekend! Here is one of my favorite shots, which also shows a little bit the style of bridesmaid dresses we had: 

// rehearsal outfit details //
Belt: Handmedown
Jewelry: Borrowed from sister

I hope y'all are having as great a summer as I am! Hard to believe it's already August 1st! 

What's been awkward or awesome about your week? 


31 comments :

  1. Ahh...the "not poisoned" Oreos comment is hilarious...Also I think I'd be just about as shocked to see a lawn mower on a pole! o.O It is interesting how various parts of the country have their differences. Grain bins, for example, are part of everyday life for us; but when a lady from the east coast spent a day with us once she had to ask what they were!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I adore the color combination of this outfit, Olivia. So classy! Your awk+awe posts always brighten my day and this one was no exception. :) Thanks bunches for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a great week! I love the lawnmower comment. :)

    catscraftsncritters.blogspot.ca

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful outfit Olivia!
    Your hair is getting so long-are you planning on growing it out?
    Yes, very important questions here ;)
    Natasha
    A modest fashion blog: www.natashaatkerson.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful dress! Love your bridesmaid dresses too, modest, but so elegant!
    I always enjoy your awkward and awesomes, they always make me smile. :)
    Blessings!
    ~Abby

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your dress is so beautiful! I love the color, I've been looking for a dress that color for a while. The "You need a sense of humor comment" from your sister really made me smile. My sister will occasionally tell me that too. :P Thank you for another beautiful post!

    Ashley B.
    Like No Other Fashion
    www.likenootherfashion.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Olivia!
    I noticed you said that you sent out your first newsletter, but for some reason I haven't received it yet....I subscribed. Do u know what I could do to start receiving it? Thanks!
    Have a blessed day!
    ~Katie
    P.S That is a very pretty dress! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey! I sent the newsletter out on the 23rd... did you subscribe prior to that? I think you'll only get future newsletters, not the past one. I'm hoping to send them out every two weeks. :) You might also check your spam folder!

      Delete
    2. Hi!
      That's probably the reason why I didn't get it, I dont think i subscribed before the 23rd! Thanks for the help! :-)
      ~Katie

      Delete
    3. Hey!
      I just looked at my emails and I realize I subscribed on the 23rd so you probably sent it out before I had subscribed. Anyway I read it off your blog and I like it!
      Keep up the good work!
      ~Katie

      Delete
  8. This dress is pretty on you; I like the classy cut!
    Your awk and awes are really fun. It sounds like you had a superb time at the wedding. It's awesome that the lavender oil took away the bee sting pain. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow Olivia, this is awesome. The pics are great. :))) My foot is much better...two more weeks to go before full weight!!!! Summer is passing before us so fast. Enjoy it as much as you can!
    Have a wonderful day!
    -Danielle

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like the dress! I, personally, prefer sleeves but even so the dress is great!
    Kathryn B

    ReplyDelete
  11. Did you mean to say "leaving" instead of "leafing" for the groomsman comment?

    ReplyDelete
  12. A lawn mower on a pole? I'm afraid I'm not enough of a redneck to get the "why" and "how" of that one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, that's just it-- I don't think there is a why or how!

      Delete
  13. Hey Olivia, quick question. What types of selections to you pick for your filters on Thredup when looking for dresses? You always seem to find such great ones! Do you just constantly check for new arrivals or something? I'd appreciate the feedback as I am on Thredup frequently but am not able to find very good dresses lately.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I check about once every two weeks for something. I don't really use the filters except for my size (sometimes I'll select two sizes) and "all dresses". Then I sort by price low to high. Sometimes I search for my favorite brands. I'm hoping to do a "how to shop on ThredUP" post sometime when my schedule is a little free-er. :)

      Delete
    2. I was actually going to ask you the same question as Hanna! You always seem to find great stuff from ThredUP, I for one would love a post on shopping there sometime!
      BTW, is it any easier for you to find modest dresses on there because you are fairly short? I'm kinda tall, so just wondering. :)
      Blessings!
      ~Abby

      Delete
    3. Okay..thanks! Yes, that would be awesome to see a post on Thredup shopping...great idea! :)

      Delete
  14. Gorgeous dress! And your hair looks so good long.

    ~Esther of Oz

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi everyone!
    I would really love it if you guys would take a look at my new blog! liliesofgrace.blogspot.com
    Thank you!
    Your dress is so beautiful, Olivia!
    ~Katie

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love your style, Olivia! Your blog is such an good example to other girls, like me :)

    Please visit me at - http://sweetmodestea.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  17. I look horrible in yellow, but you look great in that color!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Btw, my name is Faith...forgot to mention that in the last comment :P
    *awkwardness*

    ReplyDelete
  19. How gorgeous! These photos are lovely... especially the fourth. The bride looks so happy and beautiful. I'm glad the wedding went so well! The 'awkward' about the lawnmower on a pole comment is priceless.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love the colour of your dress, it is my favourite colour and would also love to wear it :)
    This colour suits you best! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love your blog,Olivia! You are a great example to the younger girls, especially us teenagers living in a broken down society with a lot of corruption around us, and you really help me think a little more of what I put on, and that I represent my Father in heaven and my earthly father, so I must be a good ambassador to them both. Thank You so MUCH!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Awkward of this week: A piano that runs on batteries giving out on me in the middle of singing at our church service. AWKWARD! Awesome: Spending time with church family!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Great post! I just had a quick question- what is your position on dancing and the type of music your family listens to? I hope this doesn't come across as judgemental- just wondering!

    ~Nicole

    ReplyDelete

Fresh Modesty is fashion blog which encourages girls to "Dress outside your box, but inside His Book!" I allow anonymous comments so those without accounts can comment, but I would really appreciate it if you would identify yourself by some form of a name. :) Thank you for taking the time to comment!