Tuesday, November 4, 2014

Friends of Fresh Modesty | October

Hey y'all! I'm a little bit behind on posting October's FOFM but I wanted to share it with you because this bride was very creative in finding a way to be modest, beautiful, and economical with her wedding dress! I hope you gain as much inspiration to be innovative as I have!

"The outfit I want to share with you is my wedding dress. I was married in July and my dress was a huge project, but so worthwhile to dress modestly on one of the most important days in my life! 

 "I purchased a used, strapless sample Maggie Sottero gown from a bridal shop on Ebay. Then I took it to a seamstress and she matched the satin and created a little shirt for it that closed in the back. She sewed it into the dress, added lace on the front to disguise the outline of the strapless dress, and then added beautiful satin button closures in the back.

 "I felt so beautiful in my dress, and everyone wanted to know where I got it. Modest wedding gowns are usually very expensive brand new. I didn't have $2000 to put towards a dress, which is a very average price for modest dresses. My dress cost $400 altogether (200 for the gown, 200 for alterations), even though it was worth over $1500 brand new. My veil was a great find for $85 on Ebay, but my seamstress said it was likely a $2,000 veil brand new.

"Beautiful, modest gowns *are* within our reach for our wedding day! 

"Also, my bridesmaids wore these lovely Cobalt Blue dresses from Lands End. They were on sale for $28! They added black belts they already owned, nude shoes from Payless, and then they had their matching head coverings for the church around their neck for the photos."


Thank you so much, Mariette, for sharing your special day with us! 
How have you been creative with your closet lately?



18 comments :

  1. Beautiful dress!
    I have been creative with my wardrobe lately: by altering some never-worn shirts, and now I love them!
    I have just read through every post on this blog less than a month after finding it, and I just wanted to say, Great work Olivia! The blog is awesome, encouraging, and inspiring, in fasion and life in general.
    Thanks for all your work into making this blog wonderful to read,
    Michaela

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is the best strapless dress refashion I have ever seen! Gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh wow. I would never have thought it had been so heavily altered if you hadn't written out the specifics. Your seamstress did an incredible job there. Very beautiful - and congratulations on the marriage :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You look AMAZING Mariette, and I'm SO PROUD of you for dressing with dignity on your special day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a lovely, completely modest wedding dress! Hard to come by that much modesty in a wedding dress, actually! Such a beautiful bride, too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful, beautiful dress, Mariette!!! On the hanger it looks kind of frumpy and I was about to wrinkle up my nose until I saw it on you!!! How inexplicably gorgeous!!! And I can see it fits your personality :) Thanks for sharing!
    ~McKenna

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a beautiful wedding dress and wedding! I did something similar when I got married. My dress wasn't strapless to begin with but cut way too low in the front and back so I had satin added on to bring the neckline up. A question for the bride: It looks like you had a Catholic wedding Mass? If so, are you Traditional Catholic? I ask because we wear head coverings to Mass and attend a Traditional Latin Catholic Mass.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Christina! This is an FSSP traditional Catholic parish in Idaho. :-)

      Delete
    2. How wonderful! I don't cross paths with many traditional Catholics on blogs too often. I saw your comment that you are expecting! Congratulations!! We have 6 children in almost 10 years of marriage.

      Delete
  8. I love the wedding dress and the cobalt blue accents, but that bouquet really caught my eye! Soooo beautiful

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is fantastic! What an amazing price to pay for a modest dress. And an amazing seamstress.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is so beautiful! I'm also delighted that you appear to be a Traditional Latin Mass Catholic! (I'm also!!) Love your mantilla's:-) I love the 3/4 length sleeves; you don't often find that. Ave Maria!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm not a big fan of altered wedding dresses but this one is beautiful. When I see dresses that are altered, they sometimes look patched together. There are wonderful websites and bridal shops with modesty dresses. Even so, your dress compliments you wonderfully, and your seamstress did a great job!
    Kelsey

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow! You did an incredible job of refashioning the dress to be modest, without making it frumpy by making it obvious that you altered a sweetheart neckline. I also LOVE the 3/4 sleeves, they are so flattering on you, Mariette!
    Cobalt blue! Never would have thought of that as a wedding color scheme. So creative!
    Congrats on your marriage, too, by the way!
    ~Abby

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you for sharing my wedding dress, Olivia! I hope it is a great encouragement to other. I am getting so excited for Fresh Apparel! I am expecting a baby now, but am planning on buying an Errand Skirt #17 when I lose all of the baby weight... that is unless you have maternity skirts on the way in the future! God bless you :-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful dress!!! I loved it! You can't really tell it's altered at all! :-) I love the cobalt blue dresses, they added a nice touch of color to everything.
    Your seamstress did a great job on the alterations and you look beautiful!

    -Rachel

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Olivia! Wow, thats a beautiful wedding dress!
    I nominate you for an award over at my blog. ;-) I know you haven't been feeling the best lately, so I understand if you're not interested:-)
    Here's the link: http://liliesofgrace.blogspot.com/2014/11/the-blogger-recognition-award.html
    Have a blessed day!
    Katie@ liliesofgrace.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. Another traditional catholic girl! Congrats on the marriage!

    ReplyDelete

Fresh Modesty is fashion blog which encourages girls to "Dress outside your box, but inside His Book!" I allow anonymous comments so those without accounts can comment, but I would really appreciate it if you would identify yourself by some form of a name. :) Thank you for taking the time to comment!