Wednesday, April 22, 2015

Business Casual

Hey y'all! When this post goes live I hope I will be furiously hemming away at the Errand #17 skirts. But now, as I'm editing these pictures and avoiding going to bed because it means morning is coming, I have some thoughts to share about being a young lady in business for herself. 

First, I LOVE IT. Last night I attended a small group meeting with friends from church on how to create a business plan and how important that document is. We covered a lot of ground, the men discussing everything from LLC vs C Corp to advisory boards and 5 year plans. My head was spinning with so many ideas/to-dos/plans that I could hardly sleep and when I finally did I had a notebook of lists beside my head. I love creative thinking. Enterprise. Hustle. 

I love being a Christian in business, having the potential to minister to people through economic connections. And being able to provide resources (both in eBooks and skirts right now) for women to encourage them in their Christian walk? Pretty awesome. 

 But, honestly, it's really, really hard sometimes. Not just the workload, although that is a burden. The stress of the numbers, the decision making that falls on your shoulders, the prioritizing and the constant pressure... that's the challenge. I was not prepared for the enormous learning curve (I expected a hill, not the Alps) or the cross-eyed feeling that comes when taxes eat your bank account and there are invoices for supplies coming in.

Just like any new uncomfortable experience or physical challenge, I'm learning and growing. Learning to breathe deep while I pace for hours thinking and praying through tough decisions instead of holding my breath. Learning that taxes bite hard. Learning that bookkeeping is more important than sleep. Learning that when people who have gone before you in this entrepreneur thing suggest making a business plan, you should probably do it before you jump in head-first. 

I'm stressed, but blessed. This is a season of stretching and failing, jumping and gaining. 
I'm telling myself this after I spent two days figuring out self-employment taxes for the first time.
After two weeks of sleeping at the office so I can spend every moment hemming skirts. 
On the eve of a 12 hour trip to the factory where I really really really hope they have skirts in the right sizes for me and not 5" too big. 
And I'm sharing here because I know you girls have got my back and are rooting for me. 

That knowledge (and Honeycomb cereal) is what's keeping me going. 

This is the outfit I wore to that meeting the other night. I wanted something nice and classy, but casual because I knew there'd be guys with muddy jeans there. I had about 4 minutes to get ready and I was SO EXCITED to pair this combo up. I've had this sequin + sweatshirt knit/drawstring shirt for most of the winter hoping I'd find something to match with it. I tried camo and denim, but neither worked with the busy front. It also isn't very form-fitting, so my broomstick brown skirts also didn't work. I'm so glad I threw this brown skirt into my ThredUP cart at the last minute when I bought my new spring items and ahhh it's my new favorite. It fits perfectly, doesn't need ironed, doesn't show awkward lines, and is so comfortable. And goes with this fabulous shiiiiiirt. :D 

My shoes I bought from ThredUP last summer but didn't wear very often because I felt like the ankle strap made my legs look shorter. With a maxi skirt they're perfect because the ankle strap keeps my foot connected to the shoe so the hem of the skirt doesn't get stepped on. ;) The slight heel also helped make me feel less awkward standing around a bunch of 6' guys and the bronze accent complimented the sequins perfectly. 

Lol, I know nobody else would notice all these details, but the joy of throwing on an outfit that just works is pretty great. 

And heeeeey, if starting a fashion line is something you're interested in (whether home-produced or factory-made), consider joining me at the Modest Fashion Guild conference this July in Austin, TX! :) Visit ModestFashionGuild.org for more info.

// outfit details //
Shirt: ThredUP
Skirt: ThredUP
Shoes: ThredUP
Earrings: Gift 
Necklace: Groupon, $10
Purse: Just Fab: $40

Well, I'm going to schedule this post now and head to bed because 3:30 am is fast approaching. How do you cope with stress? Have a wardrobe success from this week you'd like to squeal about? I'd love to hear! 



24 comments :

  1. I love your outfit! The sequin sandals are so pretty!
    I try to cope with stress by (1) Praying and (2) Writing about it. I find writing to be very therapeutic, and it helps me to gain new insights and perspectives on whatever is stressing me at the time.
    Also, thanks for sharing your thoughts on being an entrepreneur. You told it like is, and that is very encouraging to me. Since I'm researching how to become an entrepreneur, I want to know what it's really like: the good, the bad, and the ugly. ;)

    In Christ,
    Katherine

    http://notionsofnotes.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm wearing that skirt right now, haha :D!

    ReplyDelete
  3. oooh.....luv the shirt. isn't it exciting when you can pair new things together? awesome outfit,
    Kate

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful outfit! I love the sandals! I usually drink an herb tea for stress. Although I don't have to deal with it a lot yet. ha-ha!
    quick question.. why don't you do Ake\ Awe posts anymore? I really used to look forward to those!
    Abi Ant
    http://jubilantjoys.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Is there a certian lip product you are wearing in these pictures? Your makeup and outfit look absolutely gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your shirt and it goes great with that skirt! I always think about purchasing sequined things and then after a few minutes I basically always feel like they just won't look right no me. Any tips on styling sequined outfits?

    ReplyDelete
  7. This all sounds soooooo familiar with all of the stress/excitement of business plans, self-employment, the taxes and everything else! My husband and I run three home-based businesses (a sawmill, an online business, and aerial photography) plus are building our house, running our little farm, have a 10 month old son and another baby is on the way! I loved how you put it "stressed, but blessed".

    This was a great post and I really really like your outfit! :-)
    Keep up the great work!

    -Alice Wright
    www.whatsoever-lovely.blogspot.com
    www.thewrightfamilyfarm.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. It sure sounds like you're busy, to put it lightly! My sister is finishing her BA degree in accounting, and she's been helping people with taxes a lot lately. :) She's really good at it, but money, finances, and taxes are NOT my favorite thing to do...so good for you figuring all that brain-boggling stuff out!!

    I love your outfit, too - what brand name is your skirt? :)

    Love,
    Hannah
    www.capturinghislight.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have been following Fresh Modesty for about a year now. I saw this post and I just had to comment to let you know how awesome this outfit is!!!!! I am normally not one for sequins but this is something that I would really wear. :) It's just the right mix of simple and classy. :) Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  10. LOVE the skirt, Olivia!!

    -Hannah
    lovelytreasuress.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lovely outfit Olivia! Love that shirt on you! Coping with stress? Well, something that really helps me when I am feeling stressed or really burdened is to go on a walk by myself and pray out loud to God. For some reason vocalizing my thoughts to Him is just so refreshing and relieving, much more so than "silently praying".

    Wardrobe success, haha. Well, I am currently in need of cleaning my closet out and getting new tops in particular. I have SO many shirts but only wear a few because I just don't feel pretty in the others. I did find a new top yesterday (wearing it as I type this) that is one of those that you just feel GOOD in. It is a pretty peachy pink, and a style that is oh so flattering without being fussy. :-)

    Keep up the good work Olivia!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do the same thing when i am stressed. didn't think anybody else did.....
      thx
      Kate

      Delete
  12. Gorgeous outfit! Thank you for all you do. Keep it up beautiful girl!

    My stress management skills include praying, going for a walk and declaring Philippians 4: 6-7 aloud:

    "Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus."

    I talk about this in more detail here: http://john-13-35.blogspot.com.au/2015/03/a-lesson-in-patience.html

    God bless,

    MB

    ReplyDelete
  13. I find prayer and planning to be a real comfort and stress reliever. I am a list person, and creating lists helps me feel organized and prepared. And also, I like imagining the end result of whatever I am stressing about - focusing on the positives and not on the negatives through a difficult time.
    Yesterday I came up with an awesome outfit! The top was a casual gray shirt with stripes that were pink, black and white. I wore it with jeans during the day (it is a longer shirt) and my Sperry's. Even though it didn't have any purple in it, I wore a dark purple jacket because it was chilly in the morning, as well as a lavender necklace and bracelet. I got my hair cut in the morning and I think that the shorter length added to the outfit. For church in the evening, I wore a black skirt and white shoes. I really like the purple touches and the gray, and can't wait to wear it again!
    Thanks so much for your blog. I have only been following it for a week or 2 and love the outfit inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hey Olivia! I love this blog and even though you have a lot going on, thanks for doing it!
    When I have a lot to do, I pray and find my priorities.I make sure that my daily Bible reading comes first (because I sometimes push it to the end of my list) and after that, things even out. Looooove your outfit,BTW! Blessings, Lydia

    ReplyDelete
  15. you are very beautiful and your outfit is so cute! thanks for sharing and keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Pray! I don't own my own business technically, but I'm in charge of a big portion of my parents' business. This includes: paying tons of bills, book keeping, errands, payroll (and associated taxes), maintenance of our other business, etc. On top of that I help with house cleaning, cooking, etc. Sometimes I'm just like "Ahhh! Too much!" But I stop myself, pray and ask for strength and move on. It also helps not to think too much about everything there is to do, or you'll freak yourself out.
    Beautiful outfit, by the way!
    Natasha
    A modest fashion blog: www.natashaatkerson.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is one of my favorite outfits on your blog! I love it!!
    ~Grace P.

    ReplyDelete
  18. So pretty! Love the shirt!
    Hope you are feeling more peaceful today!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I have a shirt that I rarely wear, but was able to pair it nicely with a maxi skirt for an awards ceremony this week! I was really happy with how it worked :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Beautiful outfit, Olivia! I love it! And yes, I totally understand the small details ;) I go through them every time I pick an outfit. And the heels because of tall guys! haha I would feel like a midget if I didn't wear shoes with a heel most of the time! Pretty sure we're the same height!

    I'd just second what everyone else says, pray, pray, pray! It gets you through everything!

    Love,
    Ruth

    ReplyDelete
  21. I just love this outfit! It all goes so wonderfully together, and I love all the sequins!

    -Hannah

    ReplyDelete
  22. Such a cute outfit, thanks for some inspiration!

    ReplyDelete

Fresh Modesty is fashion blog which encourages girls to "Dress outside your box, but inside His Book!" I allow anonymous comments so those without accounts can comment, but I would really appreciate it if you would identify yourself by some form of a name. :) Thank you for taking the time to comment!