Friday, May 8, 2015

Cow In The Sunshine

 Hey y'all! I hope you are having a splendid week. Thought I'd share a black + white outfit I wore two weeks ago to my siblings' piano recital.


This is that shorter black skirt I ordered from ThredUP for spring (post here) and I absolutely love it! The leather boots are a little high and the skirt a little long to make them look super good together, but it works well enough. ;) I probably would have worn simple black heeled sandals with this outfit, but it was pouring rain and I had to walk through grass.


This cardigan is from Sweet Salt Clothing! They are a modest clothing company that is becoming one of my favorite on the web. The sharp black and white floral design of the Flutter Cardi Sweater is super pretty, but as I'm wearing it the print reminds me of a cow, lol. So we call this the cow cardigan. ;)

I thought I'd share 3 quick tips for "throwing together" a new outfit at the last minute.

1) Start with a favorite, no-iron, piece you feel super comfortable in. When you're not comfortable in an outfit, you constantly second-guess wearing it, which you don't have time for. 

2) Choose the practical shoes you can run in, because you'll be running out the door and into the event and you don't want to be curling your toes to keep the kitten heels on.

3) Don't be afraid to throw on a new piece or try a new combination even if it's time to be leaving. Going with your gut can sometimes result in better ensembles than thinking through an outfit thoroughly. 

// outfit details //
Cardigan: c/o Sweet Salt Clothing
Skirt: ThredUP
Boots: ThredUP
Tank: Forever21
Earrings: Charming Charlie's

I hope you all have a lovely day! What are your last-minute dressing tips?


14 comments :

  1. I totally understand the cow-name :D But you look great!
    Have a nice weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cow in the sunshine. Oh my, too funny, especially with that fence in the background and you standing in the grass :-D
    I'd describe you as looking more pretty than bovine in this outfit, though!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your outfits. I want that skirt!! :-)
    Last minute dressing tips... hmm... mainly, wear something that you can be comfortable in. If you aren't sure whether you should wear jeans or a skirt somewhere, go with wearing a more casual skirt. Don't wear anything that you will constantly be tugging on to keep it modest. I wore a shorter black dress to a piano/flute recital last year and I had to constantly be pulling the sleeves back over my shoulders. It got pretty annoying. So, I'm not going to be wearing that dress a lot! A good way to tell if the skirt is long enough is to have a little child climb up on your lap. A skirt that is too short will probably flip up a little.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true... I have similar stories to tell! :)

      Last week I was thinking, isn't it sad how many outfits we have but don't wear much at all? I have a black-and-white, flared, knee-length dress that I loved when I got it four years ago, and still love. But I can only remember wearing it a handful of times--two or three, maybe? Every time I consider wearing it, I always wind up choosing a different outfit. {sigh}

      The tip with placing a child in one's lap is a good one! :D

      Delete
  4. I LOVE those photos! They are simply gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This outfit is adorable on you Olivia! I love the "cow cardi" nickname. ;D

    Brigid
    the Middle Sister and Singer

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just starting following your blog after my friend and I decided to wear skirts more often ( day 15 or so of 30 day challenge). Got a few new skirts from the thrift store half day off and love your style. Very inspiring as well as your life. From an almost 40 year old to a twenty something: God bless you in your endeavors!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is a delightfully classy outfit!

    http://notionsofnotes.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lol! I couldn't see the print very well until I scrolled down to the close up, I thought you WERE wearing a cow print cardigan! Not that I'm against cows, but I thought it was a bit out of your character to wear that type of print ;)
    Very cute.
    Natasha
    A modest fashion blog: www.natashaatkerson.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love everything about this post.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey Olivia! This is a beautiful cardigan, and it kinda does look like a cow… Oh well, it's really cute!

    I was wondering when you'l put up a new post on Eager Hands! I really enjoy reading and looking at all your projects! =) Thanks!

    -Jazzy
    (http://hyddenchronicles.blogspot.com)
    (http://justchapstick.blogspot.com)

    ReplyDelete

Fresh Modesty is fashion blog which encourages girls to "Dress outside your box, but inside His Book!" I allow anonymous comments so those without accounts can comment, but I would really appreciate it if you would identify yourself by some form of a name. :) Thank you for taking the time to comment!